Questions about Four Wheel Finch pop up – Jacks

Do most folks using FWC’s just leave the corner jacks at home? Does anyone bring them with in case they’d want to stash the camper for a while, like when you end up visiting someone in a city during a long trip? If so, how do you stow ‘em?

rotti

Adventurer
Wish I hadn't purchased the jacks....the dealer used them to load the camper and then I put them in the basement 4 years ago.

My camper is on full time and the dealer recommended removal especially if used off road. He showed me a camper in for repair when a jack got snagged in a WM parking lot....very expensive repair.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
Yeah, my jacks are in my garage and my camper stays on full time. I did use the jacks once to reposition my camper after a trip when the turnbuckles got loose and it shifted.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Same here... Bought them to aid with loading or unloading, but I've never used them other than the initial setup at the dealer, and now they sit in the corner of my garage. Thought I am glad I have them in case I ever need them. Not sure what else would work to remove it.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
My jacks get a lot of use since my Finch doesn't live on my truck. So most of the time the jacks are on but not for trips.

I don't have the corner jacks but if I did I wouldn't keep them on. Extra weight, less aerodynamic and I would never want to take the camper off anyways because its a bit of a PITA to take it off and put it on. With my old truck I would take the camper off in the fall and put it back on in the early spring. With my new dedicated overland truck I leave it on all the time.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Definitely not worth the risk to leave the jacks on if you leave the pavement (and you have an fwc, of course you're leaving the pavement). I put mine back on once to do some maintenance on the camper, otherwise they take up room in the shed.

Cayuse

Observer
Off because of the weight and the risk of them snagging something when offroad. They keep the storage dolly company and neither one gets much use

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior