Question to van owners with penthouse tops about sleeping arrangements

GlenStanley

I hope I haven't missed it, but I've done a bit of searching this forum and haven't found what I'm looking for...

We recently had CCV install their hightop penthouse top and are now at the point where we are playing around with the layout of the interior of the van. So far, it is just insulated and carpeted.

We are trying to decide if it will be worth the use of space to put an additional bed of some sort in the lower portion of the van. Especially since it will be just the two of us 99% of the time.

I'm curious how may of you that have a penthouse also have a bed of some sort in the lower portion and how often do you use it? I can think of a few reasons to have a lower bed; stealth camping, high winds, someone else does happen to join us, I'm in the dog house, or snoring too loud.

At least for right now, we don't have any physical limitations that would prevent us from using the penthouse all the time.

Thoughts / experiences / suggestions / Etc.. greatly appreciated.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I think as long as you can use the lower bed as seating then it would be a wise choice. But if you can’t and it in the way then it will be a problem 99% of the time.

I know there are kits available that start out as a couch or bench and slide apart into a bed of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHI

Adventurer
I recall a few posts, from somewhere, about folks not raising their penthouse top due to cold weather camping. Less space to heat up and keep warm. Snow loads could be a problem as well if you are trying to have a ski mobile.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
We have a Sportsmobile poptop on our Transit and I am about to build version 2 of the interior. I purposely let a large center isle for using the van in everyday life and so I could throw down a single sleep pad when in stealth mode (would be times I am solo and just a quick road stop). We will be taking our young nieces and nephews and want a place for them to sleep at floor level.
Even on a recent trip where my tire carrier was off and I had the spare in the back you can see plenty of room.
It is all in your design and desires....I have even though about making my side cabinets spaced just right for the table to go across as a platform if needed.
20200118_180725.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles