Question: Tacoma normal water temp?

amocaT

Adventurer
Just wondering what the general water temp is on the 1st gen Tacoma 3.4?

I have a 3.4 auto. I recently replaced the timing belt (including thermostat and water pump). I kinda remembered it running a bit cooler before the replacement. I thought it was about 185 degrees. Now it's operating between 195-204 degrees. I'm using a Scangauge to monitor the temp. The dash gauge is spot on the middle. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
Did you buy a quality thermostat from the dealer or NAPA? Not something I'd Autozone. Once upon a time I changed a temp sensor in an older vehicle. That really changed things. I would have changed out the cap too at the same time.

Those number aren't out of here but, I prefer to shoot for the 186-192 range. If nothing else, Amsoil makes an additive that's suppose to make you run cooler.
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=970

amocaT

Adventurer
Did you buy a quality thermostat from the dealer or NAPA? Not something I'd Autozone. Once upon a time I changed a temp sensor in an older vehicle. That really changed things. I would have changed out the cap too at the same time.

Those number aren't out of here but, I prefer to shoot for the 186-192 range. If nothing else, Amsoil makes an additive that's suppose to make you run cooler.
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=970

Yeah, everything replaced was OEM parts. I looked into the cap, from what I've read, it raises the pressure within the system. Increasing the boiling point of the water. I'm not officially overheating yet, just running hot???

I'll look into the amsoil. Thanks.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm 195-205 on my SC'd 3.4, measured with a Edge computer. My results seem to be pretty par with other similar 3.4's

obscurotron

Adventurer
I usually run 190-193 around town and I've gone as high as 210 going up to Donner Summit with a loaded truck pulling a small trailer, so your numbers don't sound unusual at all. (All observations were with my ScanGuage II, 2004 Tacoma Ext. Cab 4x4, Auto).

Shadow

I have the same engine in an 02 4runner-- same thing happened to me-- changed thermostats, radiator/hoses and starting running hotter according to scan gauge. The dash gauge is still in the middle. I run at 202-206. I can't remember what I used to run, I think in the high 180s. I ended up trying 3 different thermostats, two brand new Toyota parts, gave same results. Put the old one back in-- temp went down to the lower temps. I ended up putting one of the new thermostats back in. I'm okay with running at this temp now. I've noticed when driving in the mountains it will acually go down into the 190s (works when I really need it). The thermostat part number was the same, I think it's a 180 deg thermostat.

Not sure of the reason for the change. ??

ColoCherokees

Observer
I've got a '98 4Runner with the 3.4. In April I used it in an experiment for a class, and had a scan gauge connected during the test. On mostly flat highway at 73 mph with an ambient air temp of 69-70 F, the scan gauge showed a consistent coolant temp of 183 F. The dash dummy gauge was at it's usual hair under halfway up position. Hope mine's not running too cool, as others seem to be running a bit warmer?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the dash guage will always run in the middle until it starts to overheat, the darn things run in a range and are not accurate for watching engine temps. there is a mod out there to make the guage operate in real time, but i dont know where i saw it.

i run 193-199 myself.

keezer37

Explorer
Back in the day, running too cold was defined as about 165 and lower. The reason to avoid it was, colder temps=tighter internal engine parts=more engine wear.

If my vehicle was more than ten years old, I'd look at replacing the temp sensor. Here again, this is old school talk. Perhaps this is no longer necessary. But, if your sensor isn't passing the correct voltage based on the resistance created by the heat of the coolant, you don't know what your actually running at.

If the sensor was say less than thirty bucks and was easy to replace, I'd consider it. Being mindful of what it is screwed into and the potential for stripping the threads of what it's screwed into.

dms1

Explorer
Hi Jim, on my 99 4Runner with the 3.4L engine, my temp needle rides a little lower than half way and my average scan-gauge temp is about 200

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
My 4Runner with the 3.4L routinely gets up to 209, and even 211 from time to time but never higher. This is in the summer, when idling after running highway speed. Normal operating temperature is 198-206. My temp used to run a little cooler, but ever since my new OEM thermostat its a little hotter.

Hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles