Question on sheet metal thickness

Buffalobwana

Observer
I am building a lid for my adventure trailer. The sides will have a radius of about 6" or so. i want to tack or rivet the sheet metal at the edges, and then bend the entire sheet around the 5 structural radius members that span the width that define the shape of the lid.

What gauge metal would be thin enough to bend without a ridiculous amount of force, but would be appropriate thickness for a lid (non weight bearing lid.)

8' long lid and there are 5 cross members to attach the metal to.

Don't particularly want to use aluminum because of the cost, but might consider it just for the ease of use.

Thanks.

tarditi

Explorer
Subscribed to this thread - I made my m100 lid out of plywood, but not too keen on the weight or longevity - would prefer metal.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Mine is an M101a2

I have all the expensive parts
4 - 12v deep cycle batteries
Outback Power Systems 24v DC - 120v AC inverter
Engel Fridge
LED work lights

I need the hot water heater, water tank and pump. But that should be pretty easy. I have 90% of the money spent. Trailer new tires and the fridge and inverter comprise most of the expense.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Actually, I think I'll use two pieces of 4x8 and lay them across, so I'm only doing a 4' bend instead of 8'. I think with ratchet straps, cheater bars, strategic clamps and a piece of welded square tube I can get it done.

I just need some advice on the thickest metal that I can bend without special machine.

Thanks to Verkstad. Lots of guys have built some pretty impressive trailers here, so I'm sure someone has some info on what to use, how to do it etc.

Thanks.

old_man

Adventurer
I used Filon, like on motor homes. It is a fiberglass based sheet you can get in large sizes. I would back it with something. Plywood will not wrap on a tight radius very well unless you get it real thin, such as .125" and even then you have to be real careful. I would be more likely to go with a thin Masonite and maybe laminate a couple of sheets. If you can open up the radius, this will work great.

Depending on how it maps out for a plywood sheet, they make a plywood specifically for wrapping tight corners. It isn't all that structural, but it conforms nicely. It is commonly used for wrapping architectural columns. My local specialty wood supplier stocks it. I didn't use it because the width of my trailer is 60" and I would have had to seam it down the middle.

Here is my build thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77927-quot-Old-Man-s-Toy-quot-offroad-teardrop-trailer

Buffalobwana

Observer
Old man,

Thanks for the info. I started reading your build thread, very well done. As I got into it I was looking forward to seeing the Filon and how you used it.

Then the pics wouldn't show up :(

You are obviously very talented. Nice work from what I saw.

Good news is that my metal shop will roll a 16 ga piece to the radius I need. They are very helpful guys (and a gal).

Now, I have three trailers in various stages of completion. I'm going to bend the 16 ga for the current trailer, but will look into Filon for other projects.

I am not a huge fan of wood, unless I am using fiberglass or at least the resin, and I really hate working with fiberglass!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior