Question on hinges for pop up roof

kellen302

I'm working on converting my Series Land Rover 88 into a pop top camper using the existing roof structure. It is all bolt together and straight lines so it isn't exactly rocket science, and there have been plenty of similar builds on Series trucks and Defenders over the past 70 odd years. My plan is to hinge along one side of the vehicle to give me full length standing height and only increase the overall height by the closed thickness of my hinge and the thickness of the rails that will support the sleeping platform panels, ie less than half an inch.

The overall concept is between an Xpanda cab conversion from the early 60s and a side lifting Dormobile roof.

My question is this, for anyone who has looked at existing wedge campers/RTT's or done their own, have you used or seen continuous geared hinges? They check a lot of my boxes for weatherproof, easy to mount (match the holes already in the roof and sides) and there are plenty of variations so I can get one that will also support that side of the bed platforms.

See this link for an example, many vendors make them at fairly reasonable prices. https://www.assaabloydooraccessories.us/en/products/hinges/continuous-aluminum-geared-hinges/

Next step is figuring out my latches so that they can be operated from the inside without sticking out into the passenger area too much. Also where I want to put the lifting struts while maximizing interior bed space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles