Question of the year

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
OK, not literally the question of the year and no, did not consider it is 12/31/09.

4x4 van, Suburban, or Excursion?

The situation is this: we are a family of 7 - two adults and five kids (ranging in age from 1 year to 14 years old). I've been sort of h3ll bent on a SMB as they are simply pretty dang cool. But lately I've been considering a large SUV since they are already set up with OEM 4x4.

The vehicle would mainly be used for DD and expedition use with the whole family. I still have my rangie for hard(er) trails and the 109 for around town.

I figured I would have a few years until I purchased something but it has become increasingly apparent that we simply cannot go anywhere as a family, even on short trips, without quite a bit of discomfort and cramped quarters.

The vehicle does need to be able to tow a camp trailer and sometimes a car trailer with one of my rovers on it.

Can a Suburban and/or and Excursion hold 7 people comfortably with room to store stuff? Can either one tow a camp trailer or a car trailer with a heavy rover on it?

Can a Suburban and/or Excursion be built to withstand the rigors of adventure - such as trips to Alaska and all the fun dirt side roads?

Or is a 4x4 van like a SMB or U-joint conversion type van simply better equipped at handling the terrain?

Buying a Ford E350 passenger van and putting the 4x4 kit underneath in the future is always an option but then so is buying a Suburban/Excursion already set up with a proven OEM 4x4 suspension.

Opinions welcome as I sort through what 2010 brings me!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
For what it's worth, the Ford Econoline is no longer being built with the diesel as of November. So if you are stuck on a diesel, better make some phone calls to sportsmobile and see if they have any in stock first.
The Excursion can handle 7 of you just fine. The only seat that is a little tight for adults is the third seat, but you should have no trouble sticking the younger ones back there. The Excursions are leaf sprung solid front axles, and they are plenty durable for heavy towing and off highway use.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Nope, no longer dead set on a diesel. The more I read about the V10, the more I like them.

Did not know that Excursions were a solid front axle. I am not a fan of IFS anyways.

What type of clearance does an Excursion have? Are 2" or 3" lift kits easily available for them? I've seen plenty of lifted Suburbans but I have never seen a lifted Excursion.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader

wely

Observer
I own a 2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10. I love this truck! I have also owned a Suburban 4x4. Here are the differences I have seen.

Ford: Solid front axle
Chevy: IFS unless you buy older than 89 ( I Think)

Seating for 7 easy in both

Chevy rides like a car Excursion rides like a truck unless you get one before 89

V-10 will pull the house. I have 285/75-16 I usually get in the range of 10.5 in the city and 12-14 on highway.

Chevy will need the bigger motor 8.1 to pull the same amount of weight comfortably.

Now remember these are just my opinions. I'm sure you will get others soon.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I own a 2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10. I love this truck! I have also owned a Suburban 4x4. Here are the differences I have seen.

Ford: Solid front axle
Chevy: IFS unless you buy older than 89 ( I Think)

Seating for 7 easy in both

Chevy rides like a car Excursion rides like a truck unless you get one before 89

V-10 will pull the house. I have 285/75-16 I usually get in the range of 10.5 in the city and 12-14 on highway.

Chevy will need the bigger motor 8.1 to pull the same amount of weight comfortably.

Now remember these are just my opinions. I'm sure you will get others soon.

Thank you for the input. I was never really a Ford guy until I actually started comparing the Suburban to the Excursion. An Excursion looks pretty bad@ss with the Aluminess bumpers!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
As stated, the Excursion has a solid front axle which alone is worlds ahead of the GM's IFS for durability when driven on rough terrain (not to mention the free-wheeling hubs, so you're not turning that front drivetrain unless you really need to). That also makes it easier and much cheaper to lift. I see lots of them running around here with mild lifts on them.
The V-10 is a good engine - but if you will be pulling any weight at all, find one with the 7.3 Powerstroke and you'll be much happier.

As far as toughness - I think the Excursion would be equal to or better than most van 4x4 conversions - and that's coming from someone who has been driving a 4x4 van for nearly 34 years. If you want to go for ultimate toughness, I'd say an older 3/4 ton Suburban with the solid front axle and a manual transmission/transfer case would be the ticket...especially if you were to slip a Cummins under the hood!

Last edited:

jdholder

Explorer
Excursion hands down over any new/modern Suburban.

I like diesels, but the V-10 gas is good too.

You can fit 37's on them with a 2 inch lift and front fiberglass. I did it.

You can fit 40's on them with a 4.5 inch lift and glass. I did it.

Mine is still floating around here on this board for an example of how they can be built. You will do a tranny on an Excursion and on the diesel, you will put a turbo on them at some point 100k to 150k miles or so. I did both on mine.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Scarey thread for me- being a Roverholic, having had a burb, Excursion, and most recently a diesel Quigley. The Excursion is built on a 3/4 F250 chassis, hence the truck like ride- and durability. I had the V-10, and loved it- and have a friend who has one since new, and says he will never sell it. He uses it as a tow vehicle-which it is great at- and on the dunes at the Outer Banks. The Quigley was fantastic- diesel w/35's. I got spooked as a friend owns a Ford dealership and said "hope you never an issue with the diesel(6.0), as we send them out". Turns out the Super Duties get the body lifted off for major diesel motor work, and the vans don't have that option, so have to work from the front, bottom, and inside- most mechanics will refuse as the time factor is huge. Remember, not a huge issue at home, but not good in say Hyder Alaska or parts in between. I would vote for a '90 or '91 Suburban w/ the 700R and convert to an Isuzu ( www.isuzudieselswapper.com ), or do the Excursion, either 7.3 diesel or V-10, whichever you find in the best condition. Or, an Excursion if you don't want a project, and an older burb if you do. I have personally gone the LR3 route for long trips or haul the Defender behind a CC truck, but we have only 4 to contend with. Problem is when we want hard core wheeling and the Kimberly 2k miles away....

Oh yea, and I concur w/ 35s on stock Excursion- did it.

maximumrob

Adventurer
Casting my vote for a 1/2-T Suburban. They ride suuuper-smooth and with air-ride in the rear, will stay level with a load. I'm not aware of anything short of a bus that will fit 7 people AND luggage AND camping gear inside, but the EX and Sub are as close as you'll get.

Based on what you mentioned about driving to Alaska and hitting dirt trails on the side, a new-newish 4WD Sub will be the most comfortable and get much better mileage. My wife's '07 Sub 2WD gets 15 city / 20 hwy. I don't know what the rating is, but that's what we really get. The new Subs also can be had with a factory rear locking axle.

That mileage is twice what you'd get with the Ex. Post pics when you pick one to buy.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I have the perfect ride for you. 2008 GMC Yukon XL 4 x 4 3/4 ton with extra rear leaf for towing a 10000 LB boat. Nav and entertainment. PM for more info. You will not find many like this in the U.S. We ordered this new.

dzzz

If you're buying new, that would be the Expedition EL. The excursion hasn't been made for several years. The ride is very good on this suv as well as the F150.
Both ford gassers are being replaced by a single larger V8 for 2011.
Three row seating works fine with kids. Your little ones can be in the second row, and the older ones in back where they won't get "bugged". The third row is awkward for adults, but kids just scramble over the second seat. You will find you won't be flipping down the second row for third row access.
With a large roof top carrier and the large back you will have enough storage.

The smaller V8 is doable, but I think you might be frustrated on steep grades. Towing capacity with any of the engines shouldn't be a problem.
I suggest looking at new in addition to better used, as the new prices are good.

The running board step kills the ground clearance. But you'll need it. If you get an SUV you might look at retractable options.

There may be more room in a full size van, but it's not as nice to drive. The van can be set up better for seven adults, but that's not your issue.

I've have an expedition I bought new in 1996. It still looks great inside and out. It's never had a major repair. I also have a newer mustang that just went out of warranty with no warranty repairs. I have no problem recommending a ford if the vehicles features meet you need.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
It's obvious & well known that I'm biased, but I've built quite a few Burbs & Excursions as well.

The Excursion is a great truck. The interior volume is HUGE, but not even close to an EB van. The Excursion is very heavy, and once you get loaded with gear & kids, you'll be well north of 10K. The van will be close, depending on how you set it up. My van, on 38's, weighs in under 8K. 95% of the Excursion running gear is the same as the trucks, so this helps with the cost of suspension parts & aftermarket gear in general.

I wouldn't recommend a 1/2 ton GM for what you plan to do. The IFS is a known weak link, and the 10 bolt rear axle WILL blow up if you do any moderate off roading when loaded. I've seen it happen, many many times. The 3/4 ton Sub's are much better (14 bolt rear end) but still have the IFS. You can always do a solid axle swap, but that will throw your budget off.

You know what you need!! An EB van with 2 rows of benches & a custom setup in the rear!!! :)

earthmuffin

Observer
I vote van for that many people.

We have 4 kids and another on the way and the suburban can fill up pretty fast as it is. Also the practicality of the 3rd (rear) seat is not that great for DD duty, especially if you have any car seats.

Crawling back to that third seat to buckle kids in can get very old very fast, and you are limited with the middle seat because you have to fold a section of it down to access the back.

I would LOVE to have a 4X4 van with 2 benches in the back and the rest set up for camping gear/storage/sleeping. That would be the cats meow for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior