Question for users of older diesels.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Since the wave of lower sulfur diesel fuels here in the USA have you substituted anything to replace the lost lubricating features of sulfur and how have the lift pump, injection pump and injectors held up to the added lubrication?

If you didn't add anything how have the lift pump, injection pumps and injectors held up to the lower sulfur fuels?

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
I persnoaly dump a quart of ATF in every tank started in gillette at the mines. Helps with gelling and adds a but of lube back to the mix also helps clean it up.

blue dog

Adventurer
2000 ram with 24 valve that has 250,000 miles on her. I add nothing but fuel and she runs just like the day she was new.

Rot Box

Explorer
Mechanical IDI 7.3 here and although I believe extra lube is better than plain ULSD I rarely add lubricant of any sort when I fill up. I add Howe's in the winter for the anti-gel and once in awhile I'll add motor oil if I come across some for cheap.

Given the cost of DB2 injector pumps (plus I have a good spare) and new injectors for my IDI it's just not cost effective for me to worry about it. If you're worried about being on the road or in the middle of nowhere I believe you'll see symptoms of worn parts long before a catastrophic failure of any sort in the fuel system. That excludes running a 98-02 Cummins VP44 IP out of fuel... That's a great experience to have! :Wow1:

bfdiesel

Explorer
Biodiesel in some mix higher than 2%. Summer usually 100% biodiesel , winter 2-50% biodiesel. Lucas if I can't get biodiesel.

chasespeed

Explorer
Biodiesel isnt readily available out here.

NOW... I just had my P7100 rebuilt. Lift pump is aftermarket... so..

BUT, my acquaintances, are seeing more frequent failure in parts with the ULSD... easier to track the trend than you think...

I use PowerService. That is what is being recommended by the Bosch shops... If I run out, I add 2 stroke oil...

I know some pumps are simple to rebuild(as I read over the last few days), but, a STOCK rebuild on a p-pump, will run about 1500... a reman pump is 1200-1500(not including core)... not worth taking a chance... my pump let go while towing a 10k boat and trailer... that sucked... the barrels and plungers seized... those are lubed by the fuel...

My 2 cents.
Chase

Abitibi

Explorer
Just to bring a different approach...

My previous truck and now my Patrol are converted to run on straight veggie so I always purge some of my veggie back in my diesel tank. Have been doing it for over 3 years now and trucks love it, very smooth running. I get oil from restaurants once they are done cooking with it and just de-water ands filter it... So pretty much free.

Cheers,
Mr. D

FellowTraveler

Explorer
50% used motor oil

i run my rover mixed with 50% used motor oil every day for the last 7k miles. ( 6.2 diesel )

I'd think many would like to hear more on this long term.

I read the military pump is different and can handle the mix and wonder if the newer pumps w/ceramic plungers can too.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Wal-Mart 2 stroke in both my 7.3 PSD and Duramax. Both are quieter with a little 2 stroke in the fuel. Hard to beat for $1.17 a bottle (little ones).

Jack

greasyfingers

In my 7.3 powerstroke I too run 2stroke 1oz/gal. there is a big difference in injector chatter. Every now and then I run WMO. I think I’ve found a large source of WMO and I plan on running it regularly. Some people freak out when they hear this but there are some folks with75k+ miles on it without a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne