Question for those that went from a 4R to a Taco/Tundra

Outdoorsben

Observer
I’m looking to get into either a Taco or a Tundra and was curious what experiences those coming from a 4R with a fridge setup had when moving to a truck. Seeing as how the temperature isn’t controlled in the bed of a truck did you notice the fridge running more? Was it more of a pain with how you set it up in the truck? Easier? Etc… any opinions or experiences would be appreciate.

dstefan

Had an ARB 50 on my Tacoma for years in the bed with a hard shell tonneau cover. Moved it sometimes in to my 4Runner. No difference. IMO putting the insulated cover along with some extra insulation (reflectix, closed cell foam) makes the bigger difference. Just keep direct sun off of it.

shmabs

Explorer
Hi there,

My 4th gen 4runner was the first rig to house my dometic cfx50, since then it has lived in the cab and bed of my 2007 tacoma, 2017 raptor, and currently 2017 tundra.

I say cab and bed, because most of them time it lives in the cab, which I really enjoy the convenience of. When it comes to running more or less with either setup, I haven’t noticed a huge difference when the vehicle is sitting. When traveling, the cab of my truck will generally be cooler for my specific setup because I have a black camper, and if the fridge was back there, it would run more vs being in my climate controlled cab. But your specific setup will determine your results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles