Question for those that have used the Timbren suspension system...

worthingtontw

Observer
What capacity did you use and what was the overall weight? Also how did it preform? I can't seem to find any information on what the sweet spot is for the system... (eg. overall weight 70% of capacity). Building a teardrop and hoping to get it ordered in the next day or two but seems to me there is no good info on this....

Thank you in advance.

john61ct

Adventurer
overall weight 70% of capacity
Good guess! that's about right.

Builders putting in a too-high capacity unit for the weight actually carried, consistently report everything gets shaken to ********, way too stiff.

And of course you don't want to be right at the max all the time.

I have seen a few threads that talk about the steel bits being the same across a couple capacity increments, and

they were able to swap the rubber parts out from a lower capacity unit.

Besides Timbren tech support at (888) 877-3058, there will be some experts at etrailer.com that can help you out.

Please do report back here

jadmt

ignore button user
Timbren actually answers the phone and you can talk to their tech guys. I had 1200lb springs on a 1600lb trailer and worked great.

worthingtontw

Observer
Thank you for the responses. More or less confirmed my estimations. Going to give them a buzz during lunch tomorrow to confirm selection, but looks like a 3500HD kit will be in my garage soon. Taking lots of photos and notes and will post a build breakdown when I am done. Working in stages, but the plan is to have a viable habitat ready for our annual Saline Valley trip.

Will report back on my experience.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ Very curious to hear, all things Death Valley, how the Timbren suspension absorbs/damps washboard to say Dexter Torflex.

Teardropper

how the Timbren suspension absorbs/damps washboard to say Dexter Torflex.

I asked a friend how his Timbren suspension did with washboard. "Just like my truck."

I was toying with Timbrens on my last build. He talked me out of it because of tire wear. I bought another Torflex.

7cJi6fZ.jpg

T

Keith B.

Observer
I believe that you can buy a 3500# frame with lighter pads. I should have gone lighter with mine, but they are sweet.

I have the 3500lb HD setup on my trailer I built, trailer weighs 1200lbs empty. With the RTT and two motorcycles on it, it's still pretty stiff on the gravel roads. But I wanted to be able to haul a heavier UTV or other things if i needed, so i was willing to sacrifice a little on the low end of weight. If I built another trailer I would maybe go with a 2500lb setup and build the trailer for a bit more specific purpose with a smaller footprint. It's definitely not as bouncy as a good old fashion leaf spring setup in my opinion.

I also get a little bit of a resonant bounce at 35mph, but that could be coming from my stock leaf springs and air bag setup, it's just a bit bouncy. with the motorcycles on the trailer that resonance goes away.

furbucket

Observer
I called and asked about a year ago, I had (maybe one day I’ll actually build it) plans to build a trailer that probably would have weighed about 2k lbs- I was told to go with the 3500lb version

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen using Tapatalk

jadmt

ignore button user
Sure you don't mean the other way around?

Used off-road?
No and yes. Was what they recommended. I should have said on a 1600 gvwr trailer. never bounced on or off road. Actual weight probably was always under the gvwr. I ran lots of higher speed highway miles ie 75+ and tires never showed signs of wear Bfg kos

Tonymorr

I asked a friend how his Timbren suspension did with washboard. "Just like my truck."

I was toying with Timbrens on my last build. He talked me out of it because of tire wear. I bought another Torflex.

7cJi6fZ.jpg

T

Did he align it properly? This is part of the install...

john61ct

Adventurer
Cool, people say loaded 60-80% is required for a good ride

Which is a pain when a 13000 capacity trailer only weighs 1500# most of the time. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles