Question for ES_97Sport about 97-99 MS ECU

nonkjo

Hey ES,
In my searching I noticed that you have a lot of hands-on with the MS ECUs. I'm working on installing am MS 2.4l in my 87 Raider. I'm mating it up to my KM148 (I already have the Pajero 7-bolt parts) but I'm wondering what your experiences are in dividing up the transmission control from the engine management. I'm wanting to eventually run an Megasquirt 2 but I thought it was worth asking if it's possible to run the engine on the factory computer without any of the transmission functions being utilized. On a basic level, I suspect it is possible but I know that transmission codes will be thrown and am not really sure about detrimental effects on the engine management side of the house. Since Mitsubishi spent a lot of time developing the fuel management maps for hot and cold weather, there's an obvious benefit to using the work they've already done on the engine going in my truck. On the other hand, the MS allows me to start with a clean slate and tune the maps to best suit my locale. The down side of the megasquirt is that tuning to work properly in hot and cold weather and for hot/cold start will take awhile. This is a truck i eventually want to take up into the mountains around Durango and Ouray and, with the Megasquirt, i don't have that terrain, altitude, or weather readily accessible in North Texas for developing a solid, general purpose map.

Not really asking for technical answers at this point. I'm just trying to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze. The ideal situation would be to figure out how to take the fueling maps from the Mitsu ECU and plug that into the MS2 but I don't know if that's even possible.

Thanks,
James

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The donor Sport had a V4A51? That's a pretty uncommon combo when i searched during my 2.4 swap, I think the path of least resistance here would be finding a manual trans computer that way it's not looking for a pulse signal to shift and it stays happy. I don't know if the Mitsu PCM goes into limp mode or just throws a transmission code.

Interested in Edward's thoughts on this topic as well.

nonkjo

The donor Sport had a V4A51? That's a pretty uncommon combo when i searched during my 2.4 swap, I think the path of least resistance here would be finding a manual trans computer that way it's not looking for a pulse signal to shift and it stays happy. I don't know if the Mitsu PCM goes into limp mode or just throws a transmission code.

Interested in Edward's thoughts on this topic as well.
You know what? I'm an idiot! As soon as I read V4A51, I facepalmed! My comment is a classic example of "ready, fire aim"!
Yes, the engine is coming out of a manual truck! I just got to thinking this morning about using stock MS ECU to get OBDII and because of the recent freeze here in TX got me thinking about the work that would have to go into tuning an MS2 for cold weather. I got stuck in a mental loop because I was only thinking about my own Raider having an auto and completely forgot about the doner having a 5 speed and I had read about ES dealing with TCM issues over on 4x4 Wire. Of course the manual ECU should work because my tranny is going to take care of itself.

Sorry about peeing in the forum pool and I appreciate how much help you have provided for so long Toasty.

James

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You know what? I'm an idiot! As soon as I read V4A51, I facepalmed! My comment is a classic example of "ready, fire aim"!
Yes, the engine is coming out of a manual truck! I just got to thinking this morning about using stock MS ECU to get OBDII and because of the recent freeze here in TX got me thinking about the work that would have to go into tuning an MS2 for cold weather. I got stuck in a mental loop because I was only thinking about my own Raider having an auto and completely forgot about the doner having a 5 speed and I had read about ES dealing with TCM issues over on 4x4 Wire. Of course the manual ECU should work because my tranny is going to take care of itself.

Sorry about peeing in the forum pool and I appreciate how much help you have provided for so long Toasty.

James

Happy to help, at least that was easy to resolve. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles