question any chevy owners out there?

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i am thinking of adding another fuel tank on the van. i dont know if i want to dual tanks or just go larger on a single tank. i just dont think the 20ish gallon tank is enough. am i just being paranoid? what are your thoughts or suggestions?

barefoot boy

Observer
I believe the Chevrolet van had two different gas tank sizes available. I believe my 1988 has a 30 gallon tank, which is the larger of the two available. I'll check the RPO codes later today and let you know what I find.

barefoot boy

Observer
Mine has a 33 gallon factory tank which is RPO code NL7. This code can be found on the Service Parts sticker in the "glove box" that attaches to the doghouse. I would be interested to know what code your van has.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
ill have to look next time im at the shop where it is. is been there a year. you have to be patient when your getting the buddy deal of just paying materials. its 50 miles away from me. as soon as i find out ill post it for you. its a 1985 g-20 with a pathfinder conversion.

barefoot boy

Observer
When I looked in the factory service manual, I did not see any other tank size RPO codes listed; the 33 gallon tank may have been the only size available, at least in 1988. I do know the Suburbans of that vintage had 2 tank sizes available, which is what I may have been thinking in my first response to you. I'm not sure where an auxiliary tank or even a larger main tank would mount as there is not much unused real estate under these vans.

biere

Observer
Transfer case is probably using that space.

But it is well worth looking.

My used ford truck taught me a lot. Between the 2wd and 4wd pickups and the ford bronco you have some options on what you can do. I had a leaking tank, rust hole, so I did some reading and since I did not want to buy a fuel pump and a tank I kept the stock rear tank size. But it was close to going with the larger option just because it was an option.

I know the vans are different but it is worth reading up on all options for that chassis for all years. And while carbed stuff and fuel infected stuff don't always swap well it might be worth it if looking at having to modify something anyway.

One thing I know now for certain is that I love having a 2nd fuel tank that works with the flip of a switch. It is not a big deal to haul some fuel cans around and especially with a good siphon you can fill your fuel tank easily when stopped. But knowing I can flip a switch and use my other fuel tank is just so dang nice I know I would pay a premium to figure something out on a vehicle I wanted to use for traveling long distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles