question about Montero sports

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Junkyards are full of them. Not sure if they vastly outsold the full size montero which would explain the disproportionate number of them, or if because their pricepoint was lower so not worth fixing, or what. Generally, Mitsu’s are really well built, but there are plenty of Sports in the junkyard for some reason or other

I've driven a full size Montero of various generations since 1989. I picked up a 1998 Montero Sport a few years ago. The engines seem to be identical. Some portions of the drive train are similar depending upon the year and model. Many Sport models came in 2 wheel drive. The full size Montero seemed to be positioned for the higher end of the 4wd market. The Sport models had some higher end options, but overall they fit in the middle to low end of the 4wd market. Though some sports came with as many options as the full size (ie. locking rear diff, sunroof, heated seats, winter package, etc).

mudraider

Adventurer
Junkyards are full of them. Not sure if they vastly outsold the full size montero which would explain the disproportionate number of them, or if because their pricepoint was lower so not worth fixing, or what. Generally, Mitsu’s are really well built, but there are plenty of Sports in the junkyard for some reason or other
Wow. Not exactly a resounding claim to their reliability. Back to a well thought out answer. Monteros were a higher end vehicle, with the Sports supposed to go against the Explorer, Durangos, and S10's. The problem lies in a bunch of the owners failed to ever do any maintenance. Just appliances like a toaster or refrigerator. So when time came to get the timing belt service, they would refuse to spend the $$$ to have all the accompanying front engine work done. Just keep driving it. Then one day, tensioner fails, 40,000 miles past it's service mileage, and instead of fixing all the bent valves AND get the front engine work done. That's why there is a lot of 2wd Montero Sport in junkyards. They are pretty much the same drivetrain as the Montero. Suspensions can be different, interior space and all that is smaller. Buy one cheap, take care of the maintenance, they are great trucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I purchased a 2001 XS back about 8 years ago aside from some minor problems, and doing the Timing belt last year I have not had what I would consider any realizability issues. It still needs some work but I am knocking on 300k and it goes as strong as it did 8 years ago.

PaydayGabe

? FYI, Reliably is a relative term. Very important yes,, but proper vehicle maintenance is priority #1 for a reliable vehicle. If your shopping,, ask the seller for any and all maintenance documents! If not available then offer less $$'s, as you will likely be doing some neglected maintenance items?‍♂️. Generally they are as reliable as the full size Montero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles