Question about learning SAR

WickedZJ

Adventurer
I live on the Iowa Illinois boarder along the Mississippi River and our search and rescue crews seem to short handed. I have inquired before about if they except volunteers and was told no. What I want to know is whats the best way for someone wanting to get versed in SAR to possibly start a volunteer group to work with the locals? I have spent alot of time outdoors, and am wilderness and remote first aid certified as well and would really love to be able to help out. We have had searches go for days because we didn't have enough people to help. Any help would be great.

jronwood

Adventurer
I CANNOT figure out why they would not want new volunteers. I would inquire as to WHY?

I have not worked SAR, but was a Wilderness EMT and lifeguard for many years and have extensive climbing skills on cliffs, frozen waterfalls and mountains. I think sometimes folks BRAVADO get in the way, and as in my case my skills of the ropes may NOT cross over to SAR high angle rescue, I would be VERY comfortable helping out once I could get training to understand the protocols.

Jronwood

Go talk to your local Sheriff about it he may be willing to work with you. I think most of the problem lies in the fact you won't have a direct line of communication most times, and they have no way of verifying your skill/independence level. If you go as a group of volunteers say 10-20 people that could operate in a search area on your own with reliable comms between you (ham radio) you may have a lot better chance of success. It all depends on the people running the SAR group though. Some aren't willing to do it because the second one of you gets injured you have now become a liability as well as slowed progress. Just something to think about though. Good Luck

nemoaz

Observer
As the other poster said, go to nasar.org and find the next fundamentals of sar (funsar) course. You'll find someone. Civil Air Patrol is always looking for help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles