Question about ATF levels and dipstick

twocommas

Observer
Maybe a silly question...
Attached is a page from the FSM for my 2.5gen Montero (1998). Also attached is a photo of my dipstick. As you can see, I only have 3 grooves on mine. Do you guys have a dipstick like mine, or like in the manual? Once warm, my level is right around the middle mark, so I am likely low, or maybe the dipstick is from another car? Is that possible?
pg47.jpgIMG_0696.jpg

TheMole

Adventurer
I was actually just checking mine a few minutes ago after I changed my rear passenger cam seal. Mine has 3 grooves like yours does, but is silver in color with a white top. Honestly not sure if mine is oem either.

twocommas

Observer
Mine has a white top and is silver in color as well (picture makes it look darker). Maybe they had the type from the diagram before, and then switched it by 1998? I guess being at the middle mark while hot means that I am low, and I should be at the top mark. Can someone do a quick check of theirs to see if that's right?

TheMole

Adventurer
Here's mine after I turned my car off after a long drive. I'll try the procedure as outlined in the FSM a bit later and provide an update. I think if you're between the 2nd and 3rd groove at normal operating temperature it should fine.

IMG_20150115_173316.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94