Question about a GMC

mekcanix

Camper
Hi Folks,

I have a question about truck choice. I know the best overlander is the one you have and I am kinda at that point right now but I am really would like to know if maybe I am biting off more then i can chew and I should be holding off for the next couple of years.

I have a 2009 GMC sierra 1500 crew cab 4x4 5.3 with 226000 kms on the clock running 33's with a level in the front. I have a pushbar up front and a trailFx rear bumper. I picked up a cap for it this summer and am kinda excited about using this set up over the XJ.

So here is the question is the GMC the totally wrong vehicle to be doing this truck camping overlanding thing with?
I am concerned because I have been following this place for a few years now and I have seen I think maybe 2 or 3 1500 of the 2007-2013 years being used for overlanding.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sure why not. Run it till you can't anymore. By the time you have a better feel for what you need, it'll be pretty much worn out. Get as much experience as you can before your next truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Seems perfectly fine to me. 226,000km = 135,000 miles. My '04 Suburban had 136,000 on it when I bought it in 2015.
There are two reasons you don't see too many GMT-900 builds on ExPo: The first is that there is a general preference by many users for SUVs and particularly the likes of Toyota, Land Rover and Nissan. Second, not too many people want to start building up a vehicle that is brand new, so vehicles have to move "down market" a bit (i.e. they have to get older and cheaper) before people are willing to start swapping parts and bashing them up in the wild.
It's funny that you mention this now because I have been casually shopping around for a 2009+ Chevy/GMC 1500 crew cab 4x4 to replace my '04 Suburban, when it needs replacing (which will likely be next year.) They have moved into that part of the market where they're very affordable. 2009+ gets you the 6 speed transmission which should (theoretically, anyway) give better MPG. Also by 2009 AFAIK most of the AFM issues (that plagued the 2007 - 2008 models) had been worked out. The rest of the drivetrain should be rock solid. A topper should get you enough room to sleep in the bed (if you sleep diagonally!) and after that all you need is good tires and camping gear.

B

BPD53

You can't swing a dead cat without seeing guys use Chevrolets/Gms for camping in WV. They explore and hunt all over the state using 1500s with few issues. The guys around here using them just don't use trendy words like "overlanding" to describe camping.

If anybody thinks you can't use a good old Chevy 1500 to go camping they have more money than sense.

Grab your gear, fill up the tank, and go have fun.

rayra

Expedition Leader
well lessee, I used my '85 C-10 to travel and camp all over the West for 25yrs+ and there's plenty of full sized trucks and GMT800 Subs and Tahoes here, don't see why your vehicle wouldn't be suitable. Up to "overlanding" style points, no, but perfectly suitable to use for the purpose.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hi Folks,

I have a question about truck choice. I know the best overlander is the one you have and I am kinda at that point right now but I am really would like to know if maybe I am biting off more then i can chew and I should be holding off for the next couple of years.

I have a 2009 GMC sierra 1500 crew cab 4x4 5.3 with 226000 kms on the clock running 33's with a level in the front. I have a pushbar up front and a trailFx rear bumper. I picked up a cap for it this summer and am kinda excited about using this set up over the XJ.

So here is the question is the GMC the totally wrong vehicle to be doing this truck camping overlanding thing with?
I am concerned because I have been following this place for a few years now and I have seen I think maybe 2 or 3 1500 of the 2007-2013 years being used for overlanding.

The body panels will likely rust through before you ever have issues with the engine and axles, and it rides far better than your Jeep ever did, so drive it into the ground and then find another to do the same. Not to mention you can sleep in the back very comfortably without setting anything up.

mekcanix

Camper
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feed back. The reason I was asking is I am planning more back woods stuff with my wife heading out to logging roads on crown land and I was just a tad worried. We have been camp ground camping with it since I got it 4 years ago and personally I love the truck. The lifter tick every morning since I got it has always made me nervous, but otherwise I actually love this truck and I was a devote ford guy. Again thanks for the info, I will be on to the next project which is a hidden winch

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feed back. The reason I was asking is I am planning more back woods stuff with my wife heading out to logging roads on crown land and I was just a tad worried. We have been camp ground camping with it since I got it 4 years ago and personally I love the truck. The lifter tick every morning since I got it has always made me nervous, but otherwise I actually love this truck and I was a devote ford guy. Again thanks for the info, I will be on to the next project which is a hidden winch

Lifter tick is not uncommon with these engines. Does your truck have the active fuel management crap?

mekcanix

Camper
It does, but I will be honest I have never felt or heard it kick in. A friend of mine has a 2008 silverado with 5.3 and I felt and heard it when it kicked in

ClovisMan

Observer
My wife has a 2012 GMT-900 and loves it. It has about 55k on the clock right now and we are leaving for Colorado on Friday. It will be the first long drive I will have behind its wheel so I can get a feel for it. She doesn't know it yet, but its getting a bedrack and RTT. :)
4pfiJWd.jpg

If you've had it for 140,000 miles and are not overly annoyed at not being able to make it to places you see other vehicles can then should be fine for you. Really depends on what you are doing. I just bought new 2018 Chevy Z71 crew cab. Sure I wanted a land cruiser, but I have a young family of 5 and have to haul a lot of stuff when camping and probably going to start renting pop up trailer for extended trips so trucks works best. I also don't really offroad much, usually just snow, sand, and mud on well traveled trails. I like to offroad occasionally when I can, but I don't run week long trails or any dangerous trails that have a chance of my family getting hurt on. I really think you need to trailer something like a jeep or atv for really serious trails - something you don't have to drive back with; and you'll need a truck to pull it.

With that being said, don't think I would spend a lot more money on the truck cept maybe some gears so you can pull a trailer. If you really want to offroad a lot and get into nasty places save up for a good trailer and ATV or even a cheap 2wd offroad golf cart with a winch on front. You'll have more fun, save more money, and get there and back in better comfort.

Last edited:
You can't swing a dead cat without seeing guys use Chevrolets/Gms for camping in WV. They explore and hunt all over the state using 1500s with few issues. The guys around here using them just don't use trendy words like "overlanding" to describe camping.

If anybody thinks you can't use a good old Chevy 1500 to go camping they have more money than sense.

Grab your gear, fill up the tank, and go have fun.

+1, trucks are the norm down here in TX. SUV's just don't tow well or carry enough.

mekcanix

Camper
Wow nice. I am envious. our plan at this point is I am picking up a SUV tent that I can back the truck up to and enclose the back of the truck and cap. In theory this should give us options for sleeping in the bed of the truck or the tent. We tried renting a pop up and really didnt enjoy it. I seem to be slowly phasing out the XJ it was fun for years but most of my friends are out of the rock crawling 4x4 gig and have either gone to pedal bikes or huge RV's i like backwoods back roads type stuff but not into roughing it as much as I once was, I guess age will do that to you.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wow nice. I am envious. our plan at this point is I am picking up a SUV tent that I can back the truck up to and enclose the back of the truck and cap. In theory this should give us options for sleeping in the bed of the truck or the tent. We tried renting a pop up and really didnt enjoy it. I seem to be slowly phasing out the XJ it was fun for years but most of my friends are out of the rock crawling 4x4 gig and have either gone to pedal bikes or huge RV's i like backwoods back roads type stuff but not into roughing it as much as I once was, I guess age will do that to you.

A huge tent with cots and a pad to sleep on will change how you camp, we sleep better camping than at home the last few years since we bought some decent cots.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
My wife has a 2012 GMT-900 and loves it. It has about 55k on the clock right now and we are leaving for Colorado on Friday. It will be the first long drive I will have behind its wheel so I can get a feel for it. She doesn't know it yet, but its getting a bedrack and RTT. :)
4pfiJWd.jpg

Cool looking truck clovis...:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz