Question about 2WD Express Box Van and Offroad Use

ExpoMike

Hi all,

I am looking to dive back into the camping world again. My biggest requirement for a new camper setup (based on our last two rigs and the one thing we really didn't like) is being able to put an actual full or queen sized home mattress into the rig. The wife and my biggest complaints was always the comfort of "camper" mattresses. I even had a custom made, "micro spring" one made, which helped but still did not give us the comfort we want. Long story short, we are looking at box vans/ambulances. Downside is, most are 2WD. I know there are a ton of conversions available for the Ford vans, to convert to 4x4 but sadly the passenger foot well tends to be cramped and the doghouse is offset to the passenger side. For my wife, that precludes her from sitting with her feet/legs in a comfortable position for any length of time. We did happen to notice that the Chevy Express vans don't seem to suffer this same problem and we test drove a 05 box van (with pass thru) and both found it comfortable.

Now here is where I am seriously having major debates with myself. In all of my years of offroad traveling, I have always had a 4x4 vehicle. The only 2WD I ever used was VW Baja Bug, which is a whole different animal. I keep reading how a 2WD with a locker will get you 90% of most places a 4x4 would get you. If that is really the case, I would be totally happy with that but I am having a hard time with that idea, thinking about where I typically go. We mostly do the southwest area of the US, which can have a lot of sand washes, among the normal stuff like ruts, rocks, etc. Can a larger, heavier 2WD vehicle really be useful in these areas?

A little info on the vehicle I am looking at. '05 Chevy Express box van, 6.0L V8, 4L80E 4 speed auto, what looks to be a Dana 60 or 70 rear with 4.10 gears. It is a dually which has me concerned. Loaded weight will be about 10K lbs. (empty is 8500, so I plan to build it light but figure 10K to be safe, GVW is 12K). The box is 96" wide x 12' long and the overall rig is 21'. WB is 139" I am looking at WeldTech Designs 3" lift spindles and custom rear springs and something in a 32"-33" tire. I will also have a locker installed as well.

So for those who have used 2WD larger rigs offroad (especially ambulances), is this rig really feasible to get me around without being stuck every 100 yards? I am no means a novice offroad driver and took my old Ram/FWC setup up Mingel Pass in Death Valley and our Cherokee with Kamparoo trailer up it. No problems doing it and I am really good at picking lines. This rig is just the biggest, heaviest and only 2WD I would have any experience with.

Thoughts, ideas, comments????

Thanks

goin camping

Explorer
If I may...

Duelies in the desert do not work out well. Rocks get stuck between the tires and get between the sidewalls and cause a puncture. Consider wide singles in the rear.

The weight in the rear aids in traction so you would probably be fine on dirt/rocky and handpacked roads but would sink in sand with no live front axle.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

I was afraid of that and was my thinking as well. Figured I would start asking since I don't have any real world experience in this.

Fork-N-Road

I keep reading how a 2WD with a locker will get you 90% of most places a 4x4 would get you.

I think there is some truth to the above statement, but I also think the 4WD allows you to take things slower and not have to rely on momentum as much. Having the option to go slower through tricky spots is also less taxing on the vehicle and passengers. A locker is definitely an improvement over an open diff, but I like the option of 4WD and 4 Lo if needed.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Might the BIGGER Limiting Factor in this purchase decision be the "Limited Area's" you would be able to access/drive to with this BIG ****** Dually Box Van MORE SO than the van being "Traction Limited" with only 2WD + a locker to get to those same area's you want to go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94