Quest for the Perfect Family Tent

dra2120

If you can spend a little time on the Australian eBay, you could pick up one of Coleman's Gold series instant up tents. Coleman's Gold series for Australia is a completely different level of quality then what is available here in the U.S. For a small family (same as me) their instant up dark room tents, are going to be the best fit you can find IMHO.

drumguy_18

I've been a Big Agnes fan for years. Last year, I got our family the new Big Agnes Bunk House 6. We camp a lot, this tent has been great. My kids have room to move around. I'm 6'4" and can stand up with no problems. It's a great tent and fairly easy to setup, I can do it solo.

Photobug

If you can spend a little time on the Australian eBay, you could pick up one of Coleman's Gold series instant up tents. Coleman's Gold series for Australia is a completely different level of quality then what is available here in the U.S. For a small family (same as me) their instant up dark room tents, are going to be the best fit you can find IMHO.

Do you have one of these? Did you order from Australia?

Seems like shipping would be a killer/deal breaker.

Umnak

Adventurer
I agree. Alpha Kilo 4000 by BushTec Adventure is pretty good. They also have another model called Delta Zulu. You should look into those two models.
Any thoughts on the BushTec Nomad, which is the same size as the AK4000 but not as robust of material?

For the OP

I found this site in my search that has just about everything available in the US and abroad.

My search continues. Wanting to have my cake and eat it has made finding the perfect tent a bit of a pain. I sort of fell in love with those Springbar tents and if they were ever in stock i would probably have ordered one with a woodstove by now.

I have 2 trips coming up; one to Florida for my daughters 2nd birthday, and one to Oklahoma to explore it as a potential place to move to. Im going to need a tent before then so ill probably end up compromising in some way.

Photobug

My search continues. Wanting to have my cake and eat it has made finding the perfect tent a bit of a pain. I sort of fell in love with those Springbar tents and if they were ever in stock i would probably have ordered one with a woodstove by now.

I have 2 trips coming up; one to Florida for my daughters 2nd birthday, and one to Oklahoma to explore it as a potential place to move to. Im going to need a tent before then so ill probably end up compromising in some way.

Sign up to be informed when they are back in stock. I did and was told they were going to be in stock this week and up till this morning the classic Jack 140 was available, but not anymore. They claim the stoves would be in stock in February and the price on the stoves would reflect the hot tent package if you were to buy the HJ140 now and a stove next month.

Sign up to be informed when they are back in stock. I did and was told they were going to be in stock this week and up till this morning the classic Jack 140 was available, but not anymore. They claim the stoves would be in stock in February and the price on the stoves would reflect the hot tent package if you were to buy the HJ140 now and a stove next month.

I am signed up for their notifications as well. I looked late last night and they were out of stock then. Hoping i can snag on when they are restocked in Feb.

Photobug

I am signed up for their notifications as well. I looked late last night and they were out of stock then. Hoping i can snag on when they are restocked in Feb.

Maybe your wish tent was not in stock recently. The one I am considering is part of the hot tent package and is an import. Maybe the US made ones are still delayed. I blew my tent budget on a new to us Class C RV. I think my notice was a few days early announcing the sale begins on Thursday at noon and only one per person.

dms1

Explorer
I have the Cabela's Alaskan Guide 8 man tent and me and the wife can put it up in about 20 min at a leisurely pace . I also have the Cabela's West Wind 6 person tent, I have this for when I camp solo as I can put it up by myself, the 8 man version is a little different and needs 2 people to put it up, but I would recommend it as well. I have settled on these tents because they can withstand the high winds I encounter here in CA deserts, they also are good in the rain. There are many videos on YouTube showing them in wind and rain storms. I have had the Alaskan Guide since 2005 and it still is as good as the day I bought it. I have only had the West Wind for little over a year, but I think it will last many years to come.

dra2120

Do you have one of these? Did you order from Australia?

Seems like shipping would be a killer/deal breaker.
Sorry, I missed this. No I don't have one of these. I have one of Coleman's tents that is shared between the US & Aus. However the rain fly in AUS is 1,000% better than the one here in the US. I'm trying to get the Aus. version imported, but keep running into dead ends. Yes shipping is expensive typically $500+, however the price of some of the tents that are being recommended would still be more expensive than the tent and shipping from Aus.

LilKJ

Adventurer
This Kodiak has become our family tent. It's awesome and has enough room for me to stand up in. Ours is the smaller 9x8. It's been through some nasty weather and never had a problem. Takes just a couple minutes to set up/tear down. I made an annex for it so that we could run the woodstove and have a little "dining room". I can't recommend these ones highly enough.

41356969_10156832775031803_9113813713260904448_n.jpg

I have to agree with others who have Kodiak Canvas. The flexbow is a neat design I have the 10x10 and I can set it up alone in about 15min. Good quality and quite heavy. Sportsman's Warehouse has some in stock I believe? I just recommended them to a buddy of mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles