Quarantine Project: F-150 Camper Build

Spencer for Hire

180XL, as it was the only option to allow the rear glass to unlock with my key fob.

Front window has slider and it is hinged/removable. I also have a inflatable tube creating a seal to make a pass-through to the cab.

Side windows have sliders with netting and they also pop out. I'm working on making mosquito netting with a velcro seal so I can pop the windows completely open but still keep the bugs out.

Other options included were roof tracks, carpet lining, and dome light with prop switch. I wired LED lights myself with a switch.
Thank You. Does the rear glass unlock electronically or does the key just manually match the lock?

Mfitz

Me too and I absolutely love it! Once you start playing with the motor it becomes a whole different animal. ;-)
I like your build, and I'm jealous of the midrise topper. I have a 2015 with the 2.7 as well, and I really like that engine. I put a topper on this fall, but I was looking used and could only find a regular height one. My build inside looks a lot like yours, but I kept the drawer height to the minimum over the wheel wells. I still can't sit up, but it would be worse if I had gone higher. Next truck will have the midrise, even if I have to buy it new. I put 285/70/17's on it, seems like a perfect size for me. I used to have 285/75's, but when they wore out I went a little smaller to save some money and mileage.

rruff

Explorer
I'm able to sit up, but not quite all the way. I'm still hunched over, but it's enough to set up to read a book, or put my shoes down on the floor to and sit to tie them. I'm 5'10"

In my initial plans, the platform was 2 or 3 inches shorter, resting right above the wheel well, but at the last second I changed it to have more room in the drawer. I now wish I had gone as low as possible to give me the extra inches of head room.

Being able to sit up straight is so nice! I started with a simple setup that I couldn't sit up in and when I changed to one ~6" taller it was a whole different world of comfort and usability. Makes it easier to get in and out and move around as well.

I wonder if just adding some simple risers along the top of the rails and tailgate would do the trick? Never seen it done, but it shouldn't be that tough.

Grassland

I've seen a guy paint 2x4s black and use as a spacer. Not pretty, and I don't recall how he attached things. 1.5" probably not enough of a raise to make a difference in this case

ffirg

Nice build! I just picked up a 2018 f150 supercrew with a 6.5’ bed a few weeks ago. I’m also going with the mid rise cap. It looks good on your truck. I have no faith that it will still fit in my garage with the shell though lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94