Quality USB-C Panel Mount?

rkfoote

While I love the clean look of the flush mount integrated solutions, I feel that the specs and standards change too often for my liking (I'm looking at you 5v, 1 amp outlet+usb combo in my kitchen). When wiring up my truck bed I went with the boring 12v cig plugs for everything (on dedicated fused lines so I can pull 15amp on each one concurrently if I wanted). The ARB fridge plugs in without issue, and for charging I've been happy with the Anker brand products. Using their USBC-PD plug (https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerdrive-speed--duo/A22270F1) should charge your macbook and phone without issue (rated for 30 watts and only $24 on amazon) . And a couple years down the road if you need a different power level, cable, interface, etc, someone will enviably make a "car charger" for it that you can simply plugin to upgrade. (my $0.02)

dreadlocks

yeah I doubt we're gonna see a 100W USB-C ciggy charger anytime soon, thats too much power conversion going on for such a form factor.. and while I normally agree with the sentiment, USB-C PD is gonna be around a while, Europe is mandating universal chargers for devices to cut down on e-waste so this is the solution that we'll have for a while.

30W wont run a MacBook, it will charge it slowly, but if your wanting to "work from camp" which is the new big thing right now..the laptop will consume more power than your giving it, so thats no solution if you need to use it 8h a day.

dreadlocks

thats far from flush like that Anker 30W, I would wack it shifting gears or it'd come unplugged from its own weight bouncing in the trailer down washboard roads.. normally I'd agree with the sentiment, its practically the only reason Ive not threw all 12V ACC/Ciggy ports into the bin is for quick and cheap USB charger upgrades..

however, this isint a phone charger at this point if your needing 30W or more.. its for powering laptops pretty much exclusively.. given we just finally got standardized laptop charging and no longer need to spend $120 on a one off DC-Charger or wiring up an inverter with significant losses.. I see much less downside to a hardwired flush mount that takes those Ciggy ports entirely out of the equation, especially if your laptop is needed professionally and your looking for something a bit more quality than a cheap ciggy adapter that has reviews claiming it not only dont work with my Wife's laptop it causes the laptop to not work when plugged into it.. oah boy.

USB-C PD is a quagmire of bad products that dont even come close to meeting specification, if I'mna plug a $2k+ MacBook Pro into one of em i'mna spend a lil more for something certified and tested against spec

carbon60

Explorer
USB-C PD is a quagmire of bad products that dont even come close to meeting specification, if I'mna plug a $2k+ MacBook Pro into one of em i'mna spend a lil more for something certified and tested against spec

Not to mention leaving something like that plugged in, unattended, in a wilderness setting. Already saw a friend's 80-series go up in flames due to a last-minute cheap USB charger addition. Scary stuff.

A.

jpgolf14

I have Coolgear 60w usb box as described previously in my truck and it works great. I use it along with andersons to charge my portable battery pack. It outputs 60w as claimed.

I tried two different usb/usb-c panel mounts.

Well made and works great. I'm not crazy about the black/gray color scheme, bit its not terrible. Also not crazy about the led, but it is extremely dim.

Extremely cheap and rubbery feeling. I bought it for the all black and no led but it just feels awful.

campertramper

Here's one that I just installed in my Ursa Minor (I really like the switch and voltmeter) I don't know if it would have enough power for a laptop (does anyone on here know?): USB C Car Charger Socket, Qidoe 12V/24V Dual USB Outlet PD3.0 & QC3.0 Car Socket with LED Voltmeter and ON/Off Switch Fast Car Charger for Car, Boat, Marine, Bus, Truck, Golf, RV, Motorcycle - https://amzn.to/3Kzq2pc - $14.99/each

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Here's one that I just installed in my Ursa Minor (I really like the switch and voltmeter) I don't know if it would have enough power for a laptop (does anyone on here know?): USB C Car Charger Socket, Qidoe 12V/24V Dual USB Outlet PD3.0 & QC3.0 Car Socket with LED Voltmeter and ON/Off Switch Fast Car Charger for Car, Boat, Marine, Bus, Truck, Golf, RV, Motorcycle - https://amzn.to/3Kzq2pc - $14.99/each

Looks like 30w max, so probably enough to charge a laptop overnight, but not meaningful to charge while using. That’s assuming the laptop has a PD profile for 20W/12V-30W/24V, which it probably does. Maybe ok for an iPad.

Anything capable of charging a laptop during use would have to be greater than 50w and more likely closer to 75w for something like a MacBook Pro doing intensive work.

WanderingBison

Another vote for the Coolgear USB-C units. 60W +, fully compliant, provides high amperage USB-A as well. Works well to power my MacBook Pro as well as charge all my USB-C gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

campertramper

Looks like 30w max, so probably enough to charge a laptop overnight, but not meaningful to charge while using. That’s assuming the laptop has a PD profile for 20W/12V-30W/24V, which it probably does. Maybe ok for an iPad.

Anything capable of charging a laptop during use would have to be greater than 50w and more likely closer to 75w for something like a MacBook Pro doing intensive work.
It might work for an M1 MacBook Pro or MacBook Air: The 2020 M1-equipped Mac mini draws 7 watts when idle and 39 watts at maximum load, compared with 20 watts idle and 122 watts maximum load for the 2018, 6-core Intel i7 Mac mini. The energy efficiency of the M1 doubles the battery life of M1-based MacBooks from the previous Intel-based MacBooks

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Neutrik Mediacon cables and panel mounts... 100w capable on certain models, lockable when used with complimentary cables. Leave it to the portable entertainment/production peeps.

Good Morning,
I've just come across this thread in my search for a panel mount USB-C panel mount outlet for the console in my truck. I just spoke to Blue Sea Systems and they said that they were working on such an outlet, but due to COVID, they are running behind in development. The tech said that they hope to have one on the market in 2023.
Hope this helps.

I've just emailed Blue Sea again. I'm ready to install that USB-C outlet in my console. A RedArc Dual battery system is going in too. Hopefully they will play together well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior