Quality USB-C Panel Mount?

hour

Observer
Nice find! I've also been searching weeks for something like that. The only piece left of the puzzle for me is a USB-C flush panel mount (to fit a ciggie hole). Do you know of one?

I've only been able to find this: https://www.usbgear.com/CG-U3CMCF20-PM.html

Getting warmer with panel mount female to female, though I dont know how to purchase. Seems like I just found the manufacturer's site..
https://www.umateck.com/product/hig...-female-to-female-panel-mount-cable-umpm6201/

errr i'm a doofus, USB gear has it for $10 meaning you've probably seen this F-F. I too wouldn't mind finding a cigarette circle type USB C passthru though. Drilling a circle is a hell of a lot easier than slotting a rounded rectangle.
usb-c-female-to-c-female-panel-mount-cable2x1000_thumb.jpg

I just got to test the PWR 90w cig socket to USB charger. It's recognized by my MBP as 90W, which is the highest I've ever seen displayed in the macbook system report section. Cig lighter plug is extremely high quality. Wire to plug has 300V 16AWG printed on it, very thick. Just seems like a wiser choice than a batpower 90w cig lighter bulky one, and $25 cheaper.

Last edited:

hour

Observer

I have two of those, identical but sold by 'MICTUNING' on Amazon. I could live with the 18w PD for sustaining my 13" macbook pro (surfing the web without a bunch of applications open is like 12w) and that's why I bought them. Sustain laptop in evenings, fully charge it back up if it wasn't at 100% come bedtime while I sleep.

Sadly my macbook and a bunch of others on the MICTUNING product reviews don't recognize the charger. I've confirmed it contributes nothing even with screen closed for hours. Not one of those cases where it charges without indicating it. I think these would be best left for phone charging. The voltmeter readings never parallel observations with a multimeter when charging or resting (so it's inaccurate-always) and the two I purchased differ from each other significantly, too. Form factor is grea tthough

hour

Observer
@hour , I'm still running the BatPower one I linked from Amazon, - 3 ports and it charges everything. Including the 15" MacBook Pro. I too wanted panel mount, no one is really doing a higher output due to cooling/ heat issues that these put out when dealing with the up converting. As much as I hate to admit it, this is the best out there right now.

Anker is doing some interesting things with the GaN (Gallium Nitride vs silicone) to get the size down on their regular chargers (wall) so I'm sure we will see that trickle down soon to the 12v versions.

Yeah, a drag but makes sense. I have a lot of room behind the panel of my portable battery packs, so nothing is really stopping me from just buying a macbook compatible one and hacking it in to the side of the case. I've found my 13" '17 MBP charges at a max of 44w and for a relatively short period of time, and only when the battery is low. Right now at full brightness, Xcode and VS Code open, an android emulator open & debugging, and deploying a development app to my iphone - just under 17w. So blast the MICTUNING/powerwerx/clones to hell for being unrecognized. Now my clown brain is driving me to buy USB-C to lightning&micro cables just to give these things that I've already installed a purpose.

I left a 1 star review (because hey, they said macbook compatible in the listing title) and got a broken english response begging me to accept their apology with a 100% refund as long as I provide photos of the items. Money bet they won't change the title. Random side note since this is the hub of USB PD chat, beware of purchasing any of the few USB C portable bluetooth boom boxes. Even the JBL Charge 4 will not charge from a macbook, or macbook charger. None of them are PD, all 5v, which makes it odd that they're picky despite being connected to things that support 5v out. I can only get it to charge on my these crappy MICTUNING panel mounts :LOL: The W-KING 50w portable is the one I kept, and it's fabulous minus the inability to charge with my wall warts or the PWR 12v 90w PD charger.

Wyuna

Observer
Those adafruit mounts are nice, I'm going to order one for the camper to quick charge the iPad Pro.

Well i ordered in the mount from a local supplier, but haven't been able to find these cool-gear charger here in Aus,

hopefully someone else offers something in the near future, as i'm not paying $80 USD for shipping from these guys o_O

Last edited:

Wyuna

Observer
Thanks for the offer skygear, i've found a european company that sends stuff to Aus

I fitted my USB C mount today into the blank Votronic panel i had lying around, so ill fit the power unit when im upgrading my DC-DC charger from the 30/20/250 triple to the 60/40/430 Triple

IMG_0423.jpeg

dreadlocks

My wife just got a new dell work laptop, the sucker's oem charger is over-spec 240W through dual USB-C's... yesh, thats a hungry SOB, makes my MBP look tiny.. hope it runs fine off a single 100W even if at a slower speed.

rayra

Expedition Leader
How high an amp draw do these new devices go?

You can get standard USB connection 2.4A per port panel mounts, and adapter cables are cheap and easy.

dreadlocks

USB-C PD can go up to 5A, but its not limited to just 5V like old USB.. it can go up to 20V, so 20V x 5A = 100W of power vs 5V X 2.4A = 12W topping out old USB.. with the same 2.4A cabling your old USB uses USB-C can get 48W, which is more than enough for any phones/tablets, its really only workstation grade laptops that need a full 100W at this point.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Nice thread. I saw some looking for a usb-c panel through adapter for the bricks above. Stumbled on this :

Edit: saw the references above to adafruit after I posted, but the link now for others.

carbon60

Explorer
My wife just got a new dell work laptop, the sucker's oem charger is over-spec 240W through dual USB-C's... yesh, thats a hungry SOB, makes my MBP look tiny.. hope it runs fine off a single 100W even if at a slower speed.

Say what?! Two USB-C cables to charge her laptop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles