Quality Propane Tanks for Overlanding?

john61ct

Adventurer
Obviously it's going to vary somewhat but, generally speaking--how many cooks would you expect to get out of, say, a 4.5 gallon tank using a Cook Partner two-burner? I've always avoided foods that need to be cooked because of time, space and weight considerations , but have decided to give it a whirl...
Well it depends, my 4-5 hour stews, red sauce and chilli

or deep frying a turkey

are a bit different from making eggs for breakfast.

Riptide

Explorer
To get some idea of what’s out there, look at marine sources, like West Marine, or Defender. They oftentimes have the smaller or slimmer tanks for various orientations. For fittings, I used Propane Warehouse. Never knew so many types of fittings were available!

john61ct

Adventurer
Uh...dumb question, but is that true? I was unaware of this.
Yes, do not use exchange services for refills, complete rip off, go to a place that charges by volume or weight.

In my area Tractor Supply is very convenient and cheap, but nearly every town of any size usually has a propane shop.

Exchange services are excellent for getting a new tank when yours is beat up, or approaching its inspection date.

JackW

Explorer
Yeah the exchange services used to give you 16 lbs in a 20 lb tank, guess they decided to short change their customers even more. I usually go to one of the local RV service centers to get my tank refilled. The local Ace Hardware and Tractor Supply also do refills. It's not that hard to find a place that will give you full value. I have one tank that's about to age out, I will go find a new shiny one at the cylinder exchange guilt free when I need to refill it since they have been ripping off their customers for years.

jadmt

ignore button user
Maybe you caught them on a bad day...
That size is the bread & butter of the retail propane business.
My refills are usually a the local U-Haul dealer or when we have the 100gal shop tanks filled, we gather up any small empties. The delivery driver is happy to fill anything and he will ‘re-certify’ any that are outdated.
I am thinking he meant a 5 lb tank not gallon. would seem odd any place would not want to fill a 20lb tank..I have never ran into any that were not happy to fill my 5lb or 20lb or 30lb tanks.

perterra

Adventurer
Uh...dumb question, but is that true? I was unaware of this.

They usually charge about $4 less for an exchange than a refill around here. So while you get less, it is usually quicker and the price is a little less. Exchange may be fine if you are at a place that refills their own cylinders, most will refill an exchange to 20 lbs same as they refill your owner cylinder. Just ask the weight if they offer to exchange, not all exchanges are a bad deal, many do it just to speed up customer service. A place with a cage out front likely has a company servicing the cylinders, they do often under fill.

As for me, if I am on the road I dont worry too much about an underfill if I need propane. I mean heck, "overland expeditions" are all about over paying for things you could get for 50% less if you didnt have to have the coolest brand. LOL

john61ct

Adventurer
Problem with exchange is the disincentive to keep topping up when partially full.

Before heading out away from town I often just spend $4 $7 etc make sure each is full.

The places use a scale are best

utherjorge

Observer
Absolutely. It's marked right on the exchange racks, at least near me they are...
I have a decent friend/acquaintance that runs a propane biz that I'll ask, but I do know they are down on exchanges. But, I simply assumed it was competition. I will say that they're my go to for making good hoses, though. :)

jaymar

General question: What length hose do you find yourself using--and do you take the tank off the truck for cooking, use a slideout or separate table?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a propane fire pit that has a 6 foot hose. For cooking I have also a 6 foot hose to the stove. I take the tank(s) down from the roof rack, attach the hose and place the tank at the limit length of the hose for safety and my own peace of mind. I have found that when done cooking it is better to turn the tank off first allowing the flame to die to clear the gas from the hose before disconnecting.
As far as a table is concerned, I do use a separate table for the stove when cooking and leave the tank on the ground. I also have a table that hangs from the rear tire, similar to this. I made mine.

jaymar

I have a propane fire pit that has a 6 foot hose. For cooking I have also a 6 foot hose to the stove. I take the tank(s) down from the roof rack, attach the hose and place the tank at the limit length of the hose for safety and my own peace of mind. I have found that when done cooking it is better to turn the tank off first allowing the flame to die to clear the gas from the hose before disconnecting.
As far as a table is concerned, I do use a separate table for the stove when cooking and leave the tank on the ground. I also have a table that hangs from the rear tire, not sure what they are called if you want to purchase them.
Good point about the shutoff!

perterra

Adventurer
As far as a table is concerned, I do use a separate table for the stove when cooking and leave the tank on the ground. I also have a table that hangs from the rear tire, similar to this. I made mine.

If you get a whump sound cutting it off at the tank instead of the valve on the stove it may be burning back into the burner when the pressure stops. Most times it doesnt matter, but I just use the stove valve since they were designed to cut the stove off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles