Quality Propane Tanks for Overlanding?

86scotty

Cynic

I have this exact tank. I've been using it for about 10 years. I like the big stable base on the bottom. Never turns over in the back of a truck, or anywhere. It's just the right size for a few days getaway using it for the stove and a 'tree' that we have for a high lantern, occasionally we use it for a heater but not overnight.

4000lbsOfGoat

Power Tank makes great mounting brackets for nearly any style of tank. If weight is a major concern for you, they also make 6lb and 10lb aluminum tanks. I have one of their 10lb propane tank mounts and one of their CO2 tanks. Quality is excellent.

MiamiC70

Power Tank makes great mounting brackets for nearly any style of tank. If weight is a major concern for you, they also make 6lb and 10lb aluminum tanks. I have one of their 10lb propane tank mounts and one of their CO2 tanks. Quality is excellent.
Too bad the brackets are twice the price of the tanks they hold. ?
I guess it’s got that Overland tax added to it.

john61ct

Adventurer
Believe me that outfit does not "make" tanks.

For portability 5# and 10# aluminum are great I have built up a collection of a couple dozen over the years

cost the earth new though.

For being off grid a while, the 20# standard BBQ bottle is the smallest "main" tank

but very easy to learn how to decant from bigger to smaller

just need the fittings, valves / hoses / adapters.

For longer term if you need more, ex-forklift 43# aluminum ones can be "somewhat portable" and mount horizontally.

But the hard part is getting a certified guy willing to do the right valves for you, vapour vs liquid,

next is hassles getting them filled at spots without self service.

Hence my reco - just use the standard 20# swappable-anywhere size

not just because they are stupid-crazy cheap.

john61ct

Adventurer
Of course bigger tanks permanently mounted in your rig

can also be refilled from smaller 20#ers in a pinch

but easiest is to get a remote fill setup installed as if you have a propane-fueled vehicle.

But then you may sometimes have to pay hefty road tax, not worth trying to argue with the shop staff.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Got this pancake tank from Amazon. Works great, has for many years
Made my own brackets for the horizontal tank. Has been over some really intense rocky roads with no issues.

Attachments

• DSC05318.JPG
    DSC05318.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC05294.JPG
    DSC05294.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

dcg141

Adventurer
Anyone have issues getting the 5 gallon tanks filled? I have run into some propane companies that don't like filling them.

jadmt

ignore button user
Anyone have issues getting the 5 gallon tanks filled? I have run into some propane companies that don't like filling them.
never. I have filled mine many time at several different places. they fill the same as a 20lb just faster.

jaymar

Obviously it's going to vary somewhat but, generally speaking--how many cooks would you expect to get out of, say, a 4.5 pound tank using a Cook Partner two-burner? I've always avoided foods that need to be cooked because of time, space and weight considerations , but have decided to give it a whirl...

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
A lot. Weeks of cooking I'm guessing - I have a PS 2 burner and a 4.5 pound tank and have taken it on a bunch of weekend trips without refill yet, still has liquid sloshing in it. And a 1 pound tank with adapter for when it eventually does run out.

At home I use the Partner with a big regular BBQ cylinder as an outdoor kitchen stove for stinky searing and fish ;-)

jadmt

ignore button user
cooks many meals on my blackstone grill. We cook breakfast and dinner on it, never kept track of how many but a lot.

john61ct

Adventurer
consumer DOT cylinders must have the standard ACME QCC Type 1 fitting, 1-5/16″ on the outside, POL female inside

usually OPD feature is also mandatory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94