Quality Propane Tanks for Overlanding?

jaymar

Looking to fuel a Partner Steel Cook Partner stove. Who are the players here, for well-built tanks, mounts, covers?

86scotty

Cynic
I'm not sure there are any specific 'overlanding' made tanks. Propane tanks are pretty much all made by the big players in that game and are a lot stronger than you think. Manchester, Worthington, etc. are the names you are likely to find. If you find an 'overlanding' specific one it's probably just one of theirs with a Smittybilt (or similar label) stuck on it.

Propane tanks mounted to RVs have been withstanding car wrecks, direct hits in many cases, without a problem since RVs came along.

As for mounts there are many in the overlanding world. The search bar is your friend.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have been using a 5lb Manchester for several years for my Blackstone grill and it works great and lasts a lot of uses.FAAB3CB6-67CB-47EE-B6FF-4EC2ADD86735.jpeg

dbhost

At least in the US market, specifications for propane cylinders are determined by the U.S. Department of Transportation as at some point in the life cycle these will be carrying a hazardous material over the public transportation system, I.E. highways and roads... As long as they are built to DOT standards, there really isn't much, if any difference between the bottles aside from minor cosmetic issues.

jaymar

At least in the US market, specifications for propane cylinders are determined by the U.S. Department of Transportation as at some point in the life cycle these will be carrying a hazardous material over the public transportation system, I.E. highways and roads... As long as they are built to DOT standards, there really isn't much, if any difference between the bottles aside from minor cosmetic issues.
True, but I was thinking that--as with most of the gear we use--there are going to be those manufacturers who go above and beyond...

john61ct

Adventurer
The Norwegian translucent spun glass ones are the only innovation I've seen in decades.

Worthington and Manchester are the only USA makers afaik, equally good, just keep them painted to prevent rust.

To be honest the standard BBQ size is so universal, can just swap out anywhere in the country

IMO best way to go, two bottles side by side with a switchover valve

automatic only if you are good about checking.

There is an el cheapo brand imported from Mexico sold on eBay, but not quality, had some recalls.

dbhost

True, but I was thinking that--as with most of the gear we use--there are going to be those manufacturers who go above and beyond...

Hmmm. I don't know everything, or even much of anything really, but I would be surprised if there were one MFG that went far enough above and beyond to make any tangible difference. The metal thickness, quality inspection process, etc... are to my knowledge determined by DOT regs. I could be wrong but I doubt it...

I've seen more than a few propane tanks cut apart. My BILs tend to make tiny BBQ pits out of them. No clue what brands they are, but they all seemed more or less the same to me...

And like was said above. I don't think there are that many actual manufacturers.

One caveat, I would HIGHLY recommend a USA MFG. I believe that more or less leaves Manchester and Worthington, who are more or less the 2 main brands anyway...

There are other brands that are lower quality Asian imports that have had some recall issues...

FWIW, I currently have 2 20lb tanks (okay 15) that I got on exchange program, one Worthington, one Manchester. I am needing to add 2 more and am planning on adding Manchesters. I am sick of the exchange thing as they only give you 15lbs instead of the full 20...

john61ct

Adventurer
The fixed and vehicle vehicle tank styles - as opposed to portable - are ASME standard

not subject to periodic DOT mandated inspections

But the crazy cheap pricing and easy swapability of the standard BBQ bottles eliminates that as a problem anyway

jaymar

The Norwegian translucent spun glass ones are the only innovation I've seen in decades.

Worthington and Manchester are the only USA makers afaik, equally good, just keep them painted to prevent rust.

To be honest the standard BBQ size is so universal, can just swap out anywhere in the country

IMO best way to go, two bottles side by side with a switchover valve

automatic only if you are good about checking.

There is an el cheapo brand imported from Mexico sold on eBay, but not quality, had some recalls.
Okay, who's making quality switchovers? :)

jadmt

ignore button user
flame king appears to be imported but it has no markings on the bottle that tell you where it was made. I recently bought a 20lb flame king because it was the only one I could find locally. Any time a company does not tell you where it is made means probably not USA made....

john61ct

Adventurer
flame king appears to be imported but it has no markings on the bottle that tell you where it was made. I recently bought a 20lb flame king because it was the only one I could find locally. Any time a company does not tell you where it is made means probably not USA made....
Yes that's the cheapo competitor

made in Mexico, big ines at least

the 1lb refillable likely Chinese

had a danger recall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles