Quality 12v to USB hidden adapters

Joe917

Explorer
We use the usb adapters that plug into the 12v cigarette lighter. They have two outlets, 1 and 3 amps, took a while to figure out why sometimes the tablet would not stay charged!

john61ct

Adventurer
Both Samsung and Apple have routines that look for a certain handshake (based on Data lines shorting?) in order to confirm they're plugged into their branded charger, before they'll pull at the higher rate.

With a generic USB port they pull at the much slower rate no matter how many amps are **available**.

Doesn't Apple make branded car adapters?

jeegro

Adventurer
Well there are tons of aftermarket chargers for android and apple's, so I'm sure they have that part figured out...?

I'm thinking my problem is just this no-name adapter, even though it's advertised specifically for iPad, iPhone, etc. Problem is I can't find a similar style consumer hardwired unit? I'm sure there are other forum members here who have done discreet hardwire mounted usb cables?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It's not common to have correct chargers that are designed to be hardwired. One solution is find one that plugs into a cigarette lighter, open it, take out the guts, solder on wires.

jeegro

Adventurer
It's not common to have correct chargers that are designed to be hardwired. One solution is find one that plugs into a cigarette lighter, open it, take out the guts, solder on wires.

Agreed... that's what I'm finding. So far I'm leaning towards the Blue Sea dual 2.1A contura switch. Easy to hardwire, and compact enough to stick behind the dash somewhere.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Both Samsung and Apple have routines that look for a certain handshake (based on Data lines shorting?) in order to confirm they're plugged into their branded charger, before they'll pull at the higher rate.

With a generic USB port they pull at the much slower rate no matter how many amps are **available**.

Doesn't Apple make branded car adapters?

This. Many DC-USB power supplies do not have the pins shorted, thus most devices will default to the lower current. On some older blue sea USB powerports, I had to bridge the pins with some solder to solve this.

The never 4.8A version doesn't have this problem. https://amzn.to/2J02JIs I like this unit for charging most usb devices. No annoying LED to distract at night, and blue sea quality.

You can probably buy, or make a charging cable to allow full current on the non-bridged ports. It wouldn't work for data uses obviously.

rayra

Expedition Leader
except that so many things are marketed that want a 'ciggie' port. Answer is build a power panel with all the things. The parts don't cost much.

powermodule127.jpg
auxbatt030.jpg

jeegro

Adventurer
I'm going to try those APP Powerwerx units, and replace the APP plug with ring terminals for my fuse panel. Not interested in hacking apart USB ciggies.

john61ct

Adventurer
Anything you plan to use long term, should just chop off the ciggie plug and crimp on a new connector of whatever type you decide to standardize on.

That could be the twist-lock marine style if you want backward compatibility for some reason.

This is **critical** for safety with any devices that pull over 5-6A.

But even low power devices can routinely release the magic smoke due to intermittent connections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles