Qooper's Tundra to Flippac’d Tacoma Build Thread.

qooper

Awesome 1st gen!

I have an 06 Tundra with the Coastal bumper, now just waiting for the powder coater to finish up.

Are you planning on putting your Billy's another notch up, or are you going to go with a heavier spring? I'm currently torn.

Stoked to see the build progress!

GView attachment 558593View attachment 558594
Nice truck!
I'm in the same boat as you haha, I think I am going to run a small spacer (~.75 in, I don't want to increase my preload) for now, I want to see how it rides for a while before I toss a heavier spring in.

I trimmed the pinch welds and hammered the firewall, I can hit the bumps on full lock without rubbing.

Looks like your running RAY10's? I just ordered a set of blems in 17X8.5 -38. They are super rough (Vin sold them to me dirt cheap), but I work at a shop that does powdercoating so now I just need to decide what color I want.

Yes. I'm not a huge fan of fake beadlock wheels but I found a used set of Ray10s on Craigslist for $525. 2 of the wheels have some trail scrapes but at 50% off I didn't mind. The Ray10 is a good looking wheel and it sounds like you got a good deal as well. Congrats.

Kpack

Adventurer
I trimmed the pinch welds and hammered the firewall, I can hit the bumps on full lock without rubbing.

Looks like your running RAY10's? I just ordered a set of blems in 17X8.5 -38. They are super rough (Vin sold them to me dirt cheap), but I work at a shop that does powdercoating so now I just need to decide what color I want.
Describe what you did to hammer the firewall. I just got through trimming back my pinch welds so there is no interference there, but I'm almost positive I'll hit the firewall when the wheel is turned and compressed. I'd really like to not tub if I can avoid it. I might just have to ditch my front spacers if the tires continue to hit. But I love not rubbing the frame and truck feels more planted with them....

qooper

The Bumper has taken me way longer than I expected but it is finally done and getting powdercoated (actually in the oven as I speak).

On a side note, I just confirmation that my have Ray10's shipped. Ordered a set of 5 in 17x9 -38 with 3.5 Backspacing. The paint is in rough shape but Vin hooked me up with a deal that I couldn't refuse. Since I work for a Tire/ Powdercoating/ Suspension shop I'll do a little restoration work to them, if anyone has color recommendations let me know!
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 6.46.41 PM.png

My Method Roost's are for sale. 17x8.5 +0 4 In. Backspacing. If interested PM me, I'm down to ship.

gabewayman

Not to hijack, but a note...
Powder coater finished today, so I started the installation on the truck with installing the winch (Smittybilt X20 10k) on the bumper. The clutch lever won't fit without modification, and the solenoid will need to be relocated. Not a huge deal, more a minor annoyance as CO touted a universal fit if the solenoid was removed. Just a heads up!

G

qooper

Sorry for the awful photo, dropped my phone and broke the camera so I have to use the front facing camera for now. Happy with how the bumper looks/fits.
81380932_3636105516401304_1060256584468267008_n.jpg
Met with a local fabrication shop yesterday and drew out some plans for a rear bumper. Doing something very similar to rickashay's rear bumper, just adding a swingout to it.

Also my Ray10's show up today so I'm hoping to get those powdercoated/mounted by tomorrow.

qooper

Here a better pic of the bumper.

C1DB30B1-EF8F-446A-A42C-96AE0017DC55.jpeg

Also got the Ray10’s finished up. I reached out to Vin asking if they had any really rough blem wheels laying around and he had these.

30583887-A50A-4570-B3A0-136961366C03.jpeg

The blue actually looked kinda cool, but it was flaking off everywhere as was a test color and they did a bad job prepping for paint.

He hooked me up with an absolute steal on them ($400 for a set of 5) so I stripped, sandblasted, and repowdercoated them at work.

CC4A0C10-3701-4201-921C-17EE23DE49B5.jpeg

Really happy with how the truck is looking right now.

Next step is a rear bumper. Can’t decide if I should go with a high clearance plate bumper or a prerunner inspired bumper (something similar to what rickashay & seanpistol had). what do you guys think?

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I also have SCS 17x9 -38 wheels on my access cab, but with 31" tires.
Yours turned out good. I'd like to bump it to 33" but don't want to take the performance hit on stock gears.

qooper

I also have SCS 17x9 -38 wheels on my access cab, but with 31" tires.
Yours turned out good. I'd like to bump it to 33" but don't want to take the performance hit on stock gears.
I have 285/75/17’s ~34’s. Believe it or not I love the way the truck drives with stock gears. Plenty of power still, 2k rpms @65, and I get 16.5 mpg on the highway. I have no desire to re-gear.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I have 285/75/17’s ~34’s. Believe it or not I love the way the truck drives with stock gears. Plenty of power still, 2k rpms @65, and I get 16.5 mpg on the highway. I have no desire to re-gear.
That's crazy! I'm sitting on 31" KO2 and do 13MPG mixed and 15 hwy.

qooper

Just a small update with a ************ picture, but I finally was able to swap my old bench seat for some buckets. Was able to get both seats (in 8/10 condition) and the center console for $140 from pick and pull!
IMG_7777.jpg
This was an incredibly easy swap, 100% of the bolts lined up. It's crazy how much different the truck feels from just swapping the seats.

qooper

Well this isn't a mod I thought I would be doing, but I found a deal for a set of extended travel kings that I couldn't pass up! Should have them in tomorrow, excited to see what all the hype is about haha.

IMG_7903.jpg

smokeysevin

Observer
I am not sure about the kings but on the DR/Icon coilovers the lower mount spacers are directional so make sure you put it in correctly or it will rub on the LCA.

Also check for clearance on the brake line where it goes into the caliper.

Sean

qooper

I am not sure about the kings but on the DR/Icon coilovers the lower mount spacers are directional so make sure you put it in correctly or it will rub on the LCA.

Also check for clearance on the brake line where it goes into the caliper.

Sean
Sounds good, thanks for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles