Q: for Lance

BirdMan

Hey there gimp :sombrero:
It's BirdMan from the FJ forum. I finally found my van, 2000 E350 ext, SuperDuty with the 7.3 PSD. Already had Ambul. package, with raised doors on the rear. Anyway, I remember us chatting about lifts, and you said you were going to swap out the one in your van, the Braun didn't hold up to wheeling or something like that. So have you swapped yet? What did you go to? I have my assessment for equip. on Wed.

Attachments

• 3n33k23p65V25U05S2a8ja9614f3a00141535.jpg
    3n33k23p65V25U05S2a8ja9614f3a00141535.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 27

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
No cash or sponsor love for swapping out the lift yet...Braun won't give me the time of day and that it after meeting Ralph Braun himself, oh but they did send a copy of his book :)

Honestly none of the lifts are made for off road use, I have learned that you need to keep a small broom around and a can of WD40 or such. Sand, rocks, and dirt gunk up the works on these.

The real issue for Disabled Explorers is the van floor to ground distance, if you are 32in or less then you can a world of options, if you are like us and over 32in then it is big ugly commercial dual post lifts only.
Looking at your pic you don't seem as high off the ground so you really should be able to shop around.

I have noticed lots of lifts used on Craigslist and such, not sure if that helps in your case and most shops will only install new.

Another thing that we have learned when offroad, these lifts suck battery juice, it is much better to have an autostart setup on your van and use the lift with the engine running. If you are out camping and go up & down a bunch with the engine off the lift will really suck down your batteries...yeah even with the duals for a diesel.
I am also running a Deka 4D giant aux battery and solar and still see a hit if the engine is off and we run the lift much.

I love the B&D Independence transfer seat base, I am running the prototype of their short track version and it kicks butt. Works perfect regardless of dirt, mud, sand or whatever. Very nice design and matches up with the Ford factory seat with no issues.

The Sure Grip hand controls are holding up perfectly and these are the ones that were in the FJ Cruiser. I still use them myself from time to time as I can't left foot brake with the prosthetic. The Sure Grip spinner nob on the steering wheel is also a very welcome addition.

It would be great to see more pics of your van, insides and all. Also tell us more about your plans for it's future.

BirdMan

The plans are, first I have the guy from the VA stopping by tomorrow to assess the van, me and my needs ect... Then have said equip installed. Definitely going Sure Grip controls, as I have them on my FJ as well. I am leaning toward a bi fold or tri fold, for 2 reasons, 1 to not have that second post in the way if I ever want to use the pass. seat and 2, if I want to toss something in or somebody was to grab something for me, you dont have to drop the lift first. This however all hinges on if I decide to go 4x or just a mild lift, bigger tires and a rear locker for the little extra 2x4.
Inside, is still in the planning. It was used to transport heavy medical equip, had a lift gate on the rear bumper. Fully insulated and ready for something really cool and useful.
Plan to do exhaust,tuner,tweek,ect first, then aluminess rear, and storage box where spare use to be. Maybe batteries and solar w/ an inverter, which I already have.

This will be my weekender, tow the FJ to the trails, camper, long distance driver.

BirdMan

It would be great to see more pics of your van, insides and all. Also tell us more about your plans for it's future.

here are some pics , I pulled out the sofa couch already,. as it was just something tossed in by previous owner.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 3nc3k03oe5V55Q65R3a8j2b2f845e491111bd.jpg
    3nc3k03oe5V55Q65R3a8j2b2f845e491111bd.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 12

1leglance

A couple of thoughts...
1) Don't hype the engine, remember these are in vans not trucks and just don't cool as well. If you aren't on the powerstroke forum and other diesel sites start hanging out and you will see that the most dependable vans are the ones with little to no engine mods

2) Since you already have the high rise rear doors any reason not to put the lift back there? Sure you will have to plan your interior around that but it might work. Going with a fold out from the wall bed kind of thing?

3) 2wd vs 4wd....ouch that is a big one...cost/ride/ride hgt/use...honestly if it were me and this was a tow rig and you will still have your FJC..then I would go with great tires, on board air so you can air down & up, maxtrax and an arb x-jack for self recovery. Then over time if you really see you need 4wd then it will be an easier pill to swallow.

BirdMan

Good points Lance, I am on a diesel forum and have been chatting it up some with the van guys. I don't plan to go full on race, only pave the way to have the ability to access the potential of the power stroke. At the push of a button she is ready to tow a hill, or click and your in economy mode for the long haul. Having wrenched on Harleys since I was in my teens, I am old school thinking mechanic, intake/exhaust- fuel - spark,the triangle to power.

A rear lift would be a useless with a tow hooked up, right? :ylsmoke:

And totally feeling a side mounted bed that folds up on the wall. In my last van, I had the tri fold couch, that still wasn't long enough to stretch out 6'2".

1leglance

Dude I am a dork...you mentioned it as a tow rig and yet I kept looking at those rear door pics :) Sorry about that.

The fold away lifts are way cool and I really like'em. Ricon/VMI has been working on the clearview for a while, they are based here in Phx so I will go by and get a status report.

Sportsmobile puts a ton of stuff under the sofa otherwise I would have gone to the fold up bed idea, if you can do without that space then it is a killer idea.

Transfer flow does a 46gal tank for Sportsmobile West, not sure if they or SMB will sell it sep but that is a nice amount of fuel to carry.

I am super happy with the Amsoil dual filter and Amsoil fluids.

Oh and a top loading fridge is such a must have on my list in life that you gotta figure out where to put one of those :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior