Putting 98-99 e-locker in 2003+ 100 Series

I have done a thousand searches and read every post on mud. I realize most people recommend not to do it, and go with ARB. However, seeing as an ARB with compressor is at least $1,000, and I can buy a whole axle with the diff lock off of car-part.com for as low as $400, the issues would need to be major.

From what I've read there are two ways to do this. 1. modify your existing axle housing to fit the elocker third member, and 2) swap in an axle from a 98-99.

For the first option, it appears most information I could find routes back to how its done on the 80s, where a chunk of the housing will need to be removed and two holes drilled and tapped. However, this is for an 80 series, and I read that the 100 series needs less modification. Can anyone verify this?

For the full axle swap, it appears the only difference is there are two brake lines instead of one. So brackets would need to be made for lines.

For everyone saying to go with ARB, I would prefer to go with a factory system and eliminate the extras needed with air lockers. I do not rock crawl, nor do I need instant lockup. I had an elocker on a 3rd gen 4runner and an Xterra, and had no issues with them.

Does anyone have any real world experience on doing this mod? It sounds like its done a lot more frequently on other Toyota 4x4s.

Thanks in advance.

Bretthn

Explorer
I have thought about doing this as well. I have not done any research and did not know you could source an entire axle that cheap. I am really thinking about this now.

Subscribed for more information.

bluecruiser

Pretty sure the gear ratios are not the same with the 5 speed that comes in the later models. That would be another issue with swapping axles.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
i could be wrong but i think the axles are completely different, the 100 series is a 5 lug axle and i think it used the same 3rd member that the tundras and t100s and sequoias use. -its bigger than the 8" with the Elocker and thus the swap is not going to work, at least thats my understanding of the 100 series rear axle. the elockers are from the 8" no the 8.4" and are not interchangeable.

could be wrong though

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I think the OP is talking about the rear e-locker from a 98 - 99 UZJ100... (They also had e-lockers in the back of '93 - '97 FZJ80, which is a 9.5")

I actually have a good thread about this over on Mud. Apparently the axles can be swapped, but additional brackets will need to be made for the ATRAC brake lines. As for swapping a locking third member into a later model axle, that too can be done, but a portion of the axle housing will need to be modified. I pulled pictures of the gaskets for a locking and non-locking third member, and they were very similar. It appears to be less work that it would take to modify the axle for an 80 series.

As for switching the axle, the gear ratio is different. The 98-99 used 4.30 and my 2004 uses a 4.10. For sake of cost, I would switch the 4.30 to a 4.10, so I would not have to open the front diff. This would also help me keep a portion of my mileage.

phsycle

Adventurer
So sounds like maybe almost a wash by the time you do all the custom work?

Even if it came out a few hundred more, I’d personally not go through the headache of fabbing and rigging. ARB works faster and strengthens the weak diff. And you are then set up for front locker in the future.

Bama4door

Observer
If you have a 00-02 LC/LX the 98-99 axle swap is a no brainer. If you have an 03+, it's not worth the time and effort. Cheaper and easier to just do an ARB/Harrop rear locker. No need to swap gears, run Slee control box/harness, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94