Purpose of Chain in Winch Accessory Kit?

DamMan

Observer
I have used the search feature and read numerous threads on Recovery Kits and/or Winch Accessory Kits. The purpose of some items, such as snatch block, shackles, gloves, tree protector, etc. is clear and the items necessary. When it comes to a length of chain, I am not so sure. It appears a chain would only be necessary when using a rock as an anchor. Otherwise, chain is heavy in the kit, chain would damage a tree and many pre-bundled winch accessory kits do not include a chain. So what am I missing if anything? What essential purpose does a chain serve in a accessory or recovery kit? Should I have a chain in my kit if I don't rock crawl?

Thank You in Advance,
DamMan

Paladin

Banned
Good question. They are used with a highlift jack for winching.

I have helped pull a bread truck out of a snowbank once, and I wrapped my tree strap around the front bumper, the sharp edges on the bumper cut the strap a bit. That was a mistake, chain would be better.

Seiko

Ive used chain rarely, it kinda comes in handy for deep mud when you don't want to get the tow straps all gunked up. I just have a short piece in my recovery box about 20 inches long. Just enough to hook an axle if someone does not have good strap attachment points on the bumper.
If it went missing from the box tomorrow, I wouldn't bother to replace it.

Good point by Paladin as well. Sharp stuff and straps don't go together well!

Last edited:

DamMan

Observer
Good points. I wasn't thinking of others, only myself! I can see how a short chain could be useful to pull another vehicle out.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've used one a few times to thread through the hitch receiver on trucks that didn't have a proper recovery point. Most unmodified vehicles (and even many modified ones) lack proper recovery points.

A transit-cluster and/or chain can help bridge the gap in some recovery scenarios. The key is a proper, heavy duty chain. The one in my Extreme Outback Products (Black Rat) kit has worked well thus far.

eric1115

Adventurer
Other common use is to pull something off the trail such as a tree trunk. It can be rigged tight enough that the tree doesn't slip when pulled lengthwise, and it doesn't mind being dragged between the trunk and the ground.

shovelbill

Observer
i'd say 30' is a good length to have with you, and at least one grab link. i like grade 70 in 3/8th. you can use it in a single line pull using 2 anchor points......secure yourself from sliding while winching someone or using your vehicle as an anchor.....hold yourself from sliding/tipping while resetting your cable. much more versitile than a tow strap, which you should have too........2 snatch blocks is wise also.

Paladin

Banned
Other common use is to pull something off the trail such as a tree trunk. It can be rigged tight enough that the tree doesn't slip when pulled lengthwise, and it doesn't mind being dragged between the trunk and the ground.

Yep, another good one. As stated, it would be the tool to use to drag something so that you don't damage your straps.

A long time ago, I flat towed a VW Rabbit behind a Buick Electra Wagon. Yikes. :Wow1: One time when there was too much slack, I was sure I was going to have the front bumper yanked off.

DamMan

Observer
Thanks to all for the replies. I feel silly now that I asked the question as I have pulled a tree out of the way a couple times using the winch cable (I know..very bad) once and a tow strap the second time. I have since carried a chain saw in wooded areas so why was I worried about weight! Also anchoring my rig to pull someone else out is a good use as I remember having to put my wheels over an obstacle to secure my truck while pulling someone out of the mud. I might not go with 30' but a 3/8" Grade 70 chain will pay for itself if I need it even once.

DamMan

shovelbill

Observer
30ft of 3/8in grade-70?

i'd save 100lb and spend some money on synthetic winch extension and a short length of chain, maybe 48in.

yup.....i did heavy duty towing and recovery for 13 years, i'll stick to what i'm comfortable with :).....it's not as easy to "shorten" a synthetic line to fit the circumstance.....i have a K5 Blazer, but i can understand the weight issue in a lighter vehicle.

EDIT: and just because i was curious i had to check........G70 3/8 is approx 1.45 lbs per foot. so figure 30 feet is around 45 lbs.

Last edited:
I carry 12' of 1/2" chain and about 16' of 3/8" chain, high grade of course; 3 lengths of 20' 1/2" steel cable with loops at the end, a 40' 2" snatch rope and a 40' 1.5" snatch rope. with lots of shackles to hook things together, up to 1.25" size. And 2 14K Pullpal anchors.
Of course I'm dealing with a 27K lb Unimog camper.

Charlie

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I carry ~15ft section of chain, as mentioned its ideal for pulling rocks or downed trees. More common than that is using it to rig a vehicle recovery. If your dealing with a clean and prepared 4x4 you likely have a suitable place for a short tree strap shackle, however recover a vehicle that was rolled off a cliff or some newer autos and you don't have a place suitable for strap. I'd rather worry about the weight of a chain then put my tree strap around a sharp suspension member or frame. Chain when used properly within spec can absolutely be safe. We use chain in our recovery gear demo classes and classes I've instructed for local groups or clubs, always included is the general caveats of all safety gear (selection, inspection, rigging, etc) as well as those that are chain specific i.e. live trees, open ended hooks, etc.

Paladin

Banned
You should write a book, How to NOT Tow or Recover a Vehicle.

I wasn't recovering the vehicle. If you read it again, you'll see I was towing it. That was almost half a lifetime ago and I didn't know any better.

Thanks for continuing to add value to these threads though!

Patman

Explorer
I have always carried a chain in my recovery kit (came with the Warn kit I won in a raffle many moons ago).

Use it whenever I worry about damage to a strap (tree or snatch)

Be it mud (which will break down a strap from the inside out) or sharp edges on a "damaged" rig:(

Happypat.jpg

rezdiver

Adventurer
is that guy looking down at the chain or bowing his head in shame.

I have always carried a chain in my recovery kit (came with the Warn kit I won in a raffle many moons ago).

Use it whenever I worry about damage to a strap (tree or snatch)

Be it mud (which will break down a strap from the inside out) or sharp edges on a "damaged" rig:(

Happypat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior