purifying creek water

bvanetten

Don't know a thing about that filter. Mainly because I'e run this one for the past 16 years and have never needed to use something else. Actually, I've run the same filter I purchased 16 years ago.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water...nd-hydration/miniworks-ex-microfilter/product

It screws onto one of these. Which hangs in camp for my water needs.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water...reatment-and-hydration/dromedary-bags/product

Or I hook the bag up to this and put it in my pack for a camelbak type hydration system.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water...d-hydration-accessories/hydration-kit/product

Simple design. Easy to tear down for cleaning. Filters last forever (i've only replaced mine once because I dropped it on the tile floor, cracking the element). Just keep the filter clean and it flows great. And the water tastes great also.

I sound like an MSR add but the thing has worked great for 16 years plus the accessories make it even better.

Ric

Adventurer
very nice, and thats a good review, 16 years and you`re still happy with it :bowdown:
So as far as drinking water goes, can you basically use creek water ran throught that ? if so, hows the water taste ?

I wasnt really looking for opinions the one that I posted, that was just an example, Im open to all.
:smiley_drive:

bvanetten

We do an anual backpack fishing trip to the black river in eastern AZ every year. Filtered creek water is what we drink. Some guys that go have cheaper filters that are capable of processing water quicker than this MSR. I don't know if it was ADD or if they were just not patient enough but they wouldn't use my filter... until they tasted it. Tastes like RO filtered water from my kitchen sink. We compared their filtered river water with my MSR water and it was obvious theirs were not filtering everything. It was cloudy and tasted like the creek.

Needless to say we now have 3 MSR's in camp. I've filtered muddy water before also. Comes out clear but you are cleaning the filter a lot. All that bad stuff has to go somewhere.

I'm sure there other filters as good, maybe even better but I'll probably never know cuz I like mine to much!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
We have used the Katadyn Hiker Pro for several years and many gals of water. Like others have said taste just like RO no matter your source.

jim65wagon

The creek water we filtered through our Vario tasted fine. It came out clean and clear and most importantly, no one got a waterborne illness from questionable water. Taste would be a secondary issue in my mind as long as the filter does its job with the baddies swimming in it first....

4RunAmok

Explorer
I'm trying to find the page where they talk about the difference between purified and filtered water, and can't at the moment. There are some pages about it on the Katadyn site, but even they don't spell it out...

I have the Katadyn Combi Microfilter and two MyBottles.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
I'm trying to find the page where they talk about the difference between purified and filtered water, and can't at the moment. There are some pages about it on the Katadyn site, but even they don't spell it out...

I have the Katadyn Combi Microfilter and two MyBottles.

filtered just means the water passes through a barrier to remove particulates and perhaps worms. Purification means that living organisms are killed. You need to realize that there is a difference between removing bacterial and viral components. Many filters will say they purify the water but they only mean bacteria, not viruses. It's harder to get rid of the viruses.

Ric

Adventurer
Well, your subject says Purify, but you linked to a microfilter, which doesn't purify.

Katadyn makes a personal "mybottle" purifier... it advertises swamp water to drinking water in one easy step...

http://www.google.com/search?q=mybottle&hl=en&tbs=shop:1&aq=f

good point, when I posted this, I really didnt know or think about the differences, thanks for clearifying that :smiley_drive:
Im wanting something small that will clean, filet or purify creek/pond water good enough to drink.
When camping Id rather carry one of these kits, than carry gallons of water. lol

I appreciate all the replies, and please keep themn coming

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We sell a large number of Katadyn filters including that one, the Vario. I've used it several times, but that was a few years back. It's a great filter, as are all Katadyn filters. The Vario is unique because it has a variable flow option. There's a faster flow setting for filtering water with minimal turbidity, and a slower setting for filtering out really poor water. On the pro side, I would be quick to mention that feature and the overall quality of the filter. On the con side, the size is too big for most people wanting to use this filter for backcountry use, as in non-vehicle use.

The king of chi-chi filters is the Katadyn Pocket filter, but it's heavy and now retailing for $300+. The Vario is an excellent alternative to that filter.

Just as a suggestion, we'll sell probably 15 Pocket filters every year. We'll sell maybe 12 Vario filters. However, we'll easily sell 85-100 MSR Miniworks EX filters and an equal number of Miniworks filter cartridges which shows people are truly using them.

That's my vote for a filter. Or, for general camping and treating relatively good water, I like the MSR Autoflow gravity system. For ultra-light solo travel in areas with relatively good water I use a Steripen Opti.

By the way, that Katadyn MyFilter bottle works okay, but it's a terrible value. Because that filter element is so easily clogged, few get the full capacity out of it. This means your $45 bottle, quickly becomes a slow, low capacity $100 system pretty quickly. I'd say it's a good option for emergency use in a ditch bag, or something similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz