Purchasing JK need advice on suspension setup

Stroked 550

Adventurer
If I were serous about buying that rig I would insist it goes on an alignment rack and make sure the front axle is not bent. looking at the gear oil residue on the pumpkin side and the axle shaft side would worry me. they have gussets but that does not mean anything. they could have been bent prior or bent during or bent afterwards. Best riding rigs I have had have been frankenstien lifts but that shows signs of some heavy hits.

yeah those are good points, the first thing I noticed was the leak on the axle, what would be the worst case causing that leak?
I agree Im not going to buy it unless it gets taken an alignment rack

jadmt

ignore button user
the axle shaft seals probably need replacing. it is possible the oil on the pumpkin is coming from the breather tube but it could be the tube has moved from the pumpkin. without cleaning all up and looking who knows. Seems odd that someone selling would not take the time to clean it up especially if it were from the breather tube.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
the axle shaft seals probably need replacing. it is possible the oil on the pumpkin is coming from the breather tube but it could be the tube has moved from the pumpkin. without cleaning all up and looking who knows. Seems odd that someone selling would not take the time to clean it up especially if it were from the breather tube.

Yeah i understand its hard to tell from the pictures... the seller is recovering from an intensive surgery so cleaning it up is not a possibility

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Given the number of totally stock mall crawlers out there in the universe, I am confused as to why you seem to be looking at lifted and in some cases apparently heavily modified JKs. All of them will have hidden problems. Few sellers are doing that because they have absolutely dependable and trouble free rigs that go anywhere anytime they wish.

Jeep ownership is sort of like marriage, little quirks are loveable until they build to a level of annoyance, then hatred, then you end the relationship and start another one. (Sometimes the Jeep is the one that ends it, but that is ultimately because it feels the same way about you)

Why not purchase something non-modified and do the bits you want yourself? Then you know exactly where the compromises were made and what it took to make them.

jadmt

ignore button user
Only modified jeep I would buy is one that I modified because I know it would be done right. I know there a four people out there who have well done non abused jk Wranglers. Look for one like that.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
I agree with you guys that they could have thrashed these jeeps under their ownership.. Thats why I am seeking out advice from the community and providing pictures of the ones Im interested in. the only reason Im looking at already modified rigs is because it saves time and money vs buying a stock rig and building it up

SBSYNCRO

I'm going to echo the sentiments of others. That latter one has some nice parts on it (and some mediocre ones) but it is very likely that it has been beat to death.

Youre better off buying something stock and building it up. If you want to buy one that has already been lifted/modded, find someone that bought a new Rubicon and then dumped a bunch of money at the dealer into a good quality lift (like AEV, Synergy, Metalcloak, etc.) and then never took it off road. Not as hard to find as you might think, particularly if you live in an area with a military base or affluent "outdoorsy" people (like Bend, OR or Flagstaff, AZ)

Its basically what I did, but even then, I've spend thousands dialing it in the way I want it (and getting rid of "upgraded" parts that I didn't like.) My Jeep had $20,000 of upgraded parts and only had 15,000 freeway miles on it (with an oil change at the dealer every service interval).

Do I wish it had a Warn winch and Rock Hard bumpers instead of Smittybilt stuff? Yea of course, but I'll get to those eventually... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94