Purchasing 2003 Chevy Express AWD - What repairs/maintenance/upgrades should I plan for?

Thanks a bunch to the folks in this thread! I'm super stoked to have just picked up a 2003 Express AWD (185k mi) with an Explorer Conversion package from a motorcycle mechanic/racer/engineer in MI. It's got the dual-side barn doors, heated seats, and all the extra bells and whistles (or at least, the 03 version of bells and whistles). Also, I got a lucky bonus, it has a G80 LSD!

The seller added a set of Timbren bump stops in the rear, upgraded the tires to 265/75r16 BFG K02's (@80% tread life) with a size matched spare. I got an extra set of rims and tires. Transfer case and tire rods were both recently replaced.

I had a pre-purchase inspection done, and the mechanic was amazed at the limited amount of rust for a car of it's age from IN and MI. He said someone took very, good care of it, and gave me a clean bill of health on codes, drivetrain, and engine. I'll still have it brought my mechanic for a fluid/fill and check-over.

There are a few warts: A couple rips/smudges/smootze/squeaks here and there. The front suspension is probably due for a refresh, as it rides pretty rough over bumps or I need to air down the tires . There are a few interior lights out, and the radio system is gremlin plagued. All the blower's/louvres for the heat are strong and functional, but the A/C is out. Thankfully, it's winter and I can wait to have the A/C replaced in the spring.

My first set of tasks is getting an underbody rust inhibitor coating, chasing down and quieting shakes/squeaks on the interior that are pretty obnoxious. Then I'll install a lift and will replace the shocks. Depending on how difficult/impractical it is, I'd like to cut off the fiberglass underskirting, running boards, and bumper fascia. Getting rid of that stuff would claw back a couple inches of ground clearance.

My intentions with this rig, are to keep it simple. I have batteries, diesel heater, refrigerator, etc from a previous build of an 03 Sprinter 158" High Roof. I'll use those things so I can basecamp out of ski parking lots for the rest of the season. I still have the Sprinter, but I've been waiting on a new engine for way too long. My former daily driver (07 Honda Accord Hybrid: 270k mi. Held together literally with duct tape and zip ties) is at the far end of it's best days. I'll accept 60% of the liveability from this rig that I built into the Sprinter, for 90% fewer mechanical headaches, and when mechanicals happen, even a far north Maine mechanic will know exactly what to do and have parts in stock.

A few questions:
1. Has anyone done the work to remove the fiberglass underskirting, running boards, faux-bumper, etc? What did you have to do? Was the van two-toned as a result?

2. For the lift kit, I'm planning to just go with the BOR kit. Is there any feedback/opinions of the Fox vs Bilstein and additional helper springs vs none?

3. Swivel Mounts: This van has really fancy seats with a huge bundle of wires powering tilt, swivel, heat, lumbar support, etc. Has anyone installed a swivel seat and been able to keep these functions? Also, the driver's seat has about an inch of play between braking and accelerating which is disconcerting. Is there a a way to eliminate that motion?

--Cross Posted from Chevy AWD Sticky Thread--

Attachments

• 03 Chevrolet Express Interior.jpg
    03 Chevrolet Express Interior.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 03 Chevrolet Express Screen.jpg
    03 Chevrolet Express Screen.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 03 Chevrolet Express Cabin.jpg
    03 Chevrolet Express Cabin.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 14
  • 03 Chevrolet Express DSF.jpg
    03 Chevrolet Express DSF.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 03 Chevrolet Express Passenger.jpg
    03 Chevrolet Express Passenger.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 15

Avogt

Thanks a bunch to the folks in this thread! I'm super stoked to have just picked up a 2003 Express AWD (185k mi) with an Explorer Conversion package from a motorcycle mechanic/racer/engineer in MI. It's got the dual-side barn doors, heated seats, and all the extra bells and whistles (or at least, the 03 version of bells and whistles). Also, I got a lucky bonus, it has a G80 LSD!

The seller added a set of Timbren bump stops in the rear, upgraded the tires to 265/75r16 BFG K02's (@80% tread life) with a size matched spare. I got an extra set of rims and tires. Transfer case and tire rods were both recently replaced.

I had a pre-purchase inspection done, and the mechanic was amazed at the limited amount of rust for a car of it's age from IN and MI. He said someone took very, good care of it, and gave me a clean bill of health on codes, drivetrain, and engine. I'll still have it brought my mechanic for a fluid/fill and check-over.

There are a few warts: A couple rips/smudges/smootze/squeaks here and there. The front suspension is probably due for a refresh, as it rides pretty rough over bumps or I need to air down the tires . There are a few interior lights out, and the radio system is gremlin plagued. All the blower's/louvres for the heat are strong and functional, but the A/C is out. Thankfully, it's winter and I can wait to have the A/C replaced in the spring.

My first set of tasks is getting an underbody rust inhibitor coating, chasing down and quieting shakes/squeaks on the interior that are pretty obnoxious. Then I'll install a lift and will replace the shocks. Depending on how difficult/impractical it is, I'd like to cut off the fiberglass underskirting, running boards, and bumper fascia. Getting rid of that stuff would claw back a couple inches of ground clearance.

My intentions with this rig, are to keep it simple. I have batteries, diesel heater, refrigerator, etc from a previous build of an 03 Sprinter 158" High Roof. I'll use those things so I can basecamp out of ski parking lots for the rest of the season. I still have the Sprinter, but I've been waiting on a new engine for way too long. My former daily driver (07 Honda Accord Hybrid: 270k mi. Held together literally with duct tape and zip ties) is at the far end of it's best days. I'll accept 60% of the liveability from this rig that I built into the Sprinter, for 90% fewer mechanical headaches, and when mechanicals happen, even a far north Maine mechanic will know exactly what to do and have parts in stock.

A few questions:
1. Has anyone done the work to remove the fiberglass underskirting, running boards, faux-bumper, etc? What did you have to do? Was the van two-toned as a result?

2. For the lift kit, I'm planning to just go with the BOR kit. Is there any feedback/opinions of the Fox vs Bilstein and additional helper springs vs none?

3. Swivel Mounts: This van has really fancy seats with a huge bundle of wires powering tilt, swivel, heat, lumbar support, etc. Has anyone installed a swivel seat and been able to keep these functions? Also, the driver's seat has about an inch of play between braking and accelerating which is disconcerting. Is there a a way to eliminate that motion?

--Cross Posted from Chevy AWD Sticky Thread--
I'm looking at a similar 03 awd gmc.
Curiosity what did you pay?
The 1 I'm considering 158k for $8k

I'm looking at a similar 03 awd gmc.
Curiosity what did you pay?
The 1 I'm considering 158k for $8k
I paid $9k for a van from rust belt MI. I just barely missed out on an same year/model mid roof conversion van from a guy in az for $10k, 140k mi, light use, bubbly paint but no rust! That was the best option I've seen and I've been searching nationwide for about 3 months. I passed on a basic passenger van at a dealership in Iowa that was $11.2k. There were a few private sellers with everything from 150k-210k mi asking $8-12k.

Where is the van? Have you gotten a pre-purchase inspection? What's been replaced/upgraded/maintained/neglected? I passed on several where there were no records of maintenance regarding wear items like tie rods. I was a bit constrained by my $10-12k budget, not finding anything locally requiring a fly and drive, and wanting a passenger model. A basic awd cargo model will likely be on the higher end of miles, be pretty beat up inside, but lower on price. I went with the conversion because it's more likely to have lived a privileged life as a pavement people pusher rather than a hauling/heavy-duty loaded work pig.

If you can spend $15-25k, you're vaulted into much broader array of really nice, newer model vans. The awd conversion van market in that price range is very nice.

Avogt

I paid $9k for a van from rust belt MI. I just barely missed out on an same year/model mid roof conversion van from a guy in az for $10k, 140k mi, light use, bubbly paint but no rust! That was the best option I've seen and I've been searching nationwide for about 3 months. I passed on a basic passenger van at a dealership in Iowa that was $11.2k. There were a few private sellers with everything from 150k-210k mi asking $8-12k.

Where is the van? Have you gotten a pre-purchase inspection? What's been replaced/upgraded/maintained/neglected? I passed on several where there were no records of maintenance regarding wear items like tie rods. I was a bit constrained by my $10-12k budget, not finding anything locally requiring a fly and drive, and wanting a passenger model. A basic awd cargo model will likely be on the higher end of miles, be pretty beat up inside, but lower on price. I went with the conversion because it's more likely to have lived a privileged life as a pavement people pusher rather than a hauling/heavy-duty loaded work pig.

If you can spend $15-25k, you're vaulted into much broader array of really nice, newer model vans. The awd conversion van market in that price range is very nice.
I pulled the trigger. $8k 3rd owner kept up on maintaining 159k. Interior and exterior are pretty clean. Rockers are shot.
I'm trying to decipher shock options keeping it stock and no lift.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230121_225715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230121_225715_Chrome.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 9

Avogt

What's your thinking on no lift? I want some additional angle of attack improvement and more room for wheel articulation.
Regarding no lift, I'm just concerned with the physics of lifting an already top heavy heavy vehicle and ALL the other modifications needed i.e. bigger tires, differencial gear changes, longer drive shaft longer control arms etc. I'm no engineer and I figure those who designed the fan know best.
I wouldn't want a lift for looks I'm not gonna be wheelin the van but I will be exploring some forest roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94