Purchased & installed a new awning for the Montero...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The awning is a ShadyBoy awning (www.shadyboy.com). It comes in a number of colors (blue, green, etc) & I ordered the silver reflective fabric. I placed my order on Monday last week and received it by Friday. Coming from Canada to the US, that wasn't bad timing. Price for the basic setup is ~$300. Silver fabric & rear poles are optional items.

I installed it on my Wilderness Trails roof rack. The awning was originally designed to be installed on VW Vanagons but with a little bit of drilling (4 holes in the aluminum housing), it was quite simple to install onto my rack and in total I got it on in under an hour. I used all stainless steel mounting hardware to minimize rust. I also used wing nuts so I can quickly remove it from the rack to reduce wear from constantly being in the elements...

Here are a couple of pics of the finished install with the awning deployed.
image_zpsc1f99cc1.jpg
image_zps3c09894b.jpg

Deploying the awning takes just a couple of minutes. Simply unroll the awning and install the fiberglass support poles.

The only things I didn't install for these pics was the tie down strings (go from the rear-most corners of the awning to my bumper ends) or the optional rear corner legs (used when the awning is deployed in strong winds).

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Total weight of the entire unit is under 15lbs.

As for heavy winds, I suspect it will be just as good as all the other awnings with the only exceptions being the heavy duty Hannibal, or the currently in development SoCal Teardrop awning (neither are currently avail in N.A.), or the Foxwing awning which is >$600 and is frankly HUGH and not what I wanted.

IMHO, this awning is in the same class as the Camping Lab, ARB, or other more common awning but its one key advantage is the legs are not required but can be used if your deployed in strong winds.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Ill be putting together a trip to Signal Peak trail sometime in the spring. It shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully you will be up and running then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94