Purchased an Expedition G Wagen

PHeller

Adventurer
McBride, do you happen to know anything more about the construction of the camper? I thought I remember seeing a little blog post someplace that actually was of this camper being built by the original builder.

McBride

Adventurer
PHeller,

I haven seen that blog but if you find it let me know - I'd love to see it.

Any specific questions? I'm happy to share any details with you. I also have quite a few pics of the build.

There's a killer thread over on Clubgwagen discussing G campers of all shapes and sizes. Some of the guys have amassed and posted an incredible collection of builds - definitely worth a look.

Happy holidays!

William

Nathansharkey80

I just wanted to ask how the reliability of the Portals has been? I have heard that the Tibus portals are not reliable and I want to know if there is any truth to these rumors. ORC offers portal conversion for 80,000 Euros and the Tibus portals are much cheaper and I wanted to know if you get what you pay for. Thanks for your thread and your passion that you have shared with us.

McBride

Adventurer
Someone has resurrected a dinosaur in digging up this old thread! Yep, I'm still running this monster G thru the southern deserts and Rocky Mountains.

I've had the Tibus Portals on the heavy (7000lb +) and slow (60mph max) camper for around 15,000 miles or so. 90% of those miles have been off-road. Lots of forest roads, lots of slow, washed out rough rutted trail, crawling as needed and plenty of mud with some occasional deep water thrown in.

So far the portals have been perfectly reliable thru all of the abuse I've put them thru. They run nice and cool.

I have had an issue with the rear brakes producing excessive heat and ended up replacing the entire original (circa 1981) disc/drum braking system with disc/disc 463 parts - there are quite a few different between those two systems including volume of the pressure booster, master cylinders and you should remove the rear check valves and porportioning valve. Not addressing these differences in proportioning can allow the brake caliper to heat up enough to soften the outer portal seal and you'll get a leak - that's what I did. The Tibus kit comes with disc brakes front and rear but at the time I installed mine there was zero guidance on the rest of the braking system mods - I had to figure it out but now it makes sense. BTW, once sorted these brakes rock.

I wouldn't suggest to anybody that this is an easy DIY installation and if done that way I wouldn't be surprised if there were problems.

Instead, I'd suggest an experienced master mechanic who is capable of precision portal alignment (it has to be perfect), familiar with gearboxes of various types and is intimately familiar with G Wagen axles - should be able to rebuild one to factory specs while blindfolded.

The GFG ones are likely the LeTech portals, which are the ones used on the 4x4 squared. They are things of beauty but like you said they are big bucks. Are they better than Tibus, I'd bet they are.

The performance advantages of adding to portals to a vehicle are nothing short of astonishing. I would have had to put on 44" tires to achieve the clearance that I have with 35's and portals. Needless to say I'm a fan of a portal G of its done right.

Hope this helps.

William

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Someone has resurrected a dinosaur in digging up this old thread! Yep, I'm still running this monster G thru the southern deserts and Rocky Mountains.

I've had the Tibus Portals on the heavy (7000lb +) and slow (60mph max) camper for around 15,000 miles or so. 90% of those miles have been off-road. Lots of forest roads, lots of slow, washed out rough rutted trail, crawling as needed and plenty of mud with some occasional deep water thrown in.

So far the portals have been perfectly reliable thru all of the abuse I've put them thru. They run nice and cool.

I have had an issue with the rear brakes producing excessive heat and ended up replacing the entire original (circa 1981) disc/drum braking system with disc/disc 463 parts - there are quite a few different between those two systems including volume of the pressure booster, master cylinders and you should remove the rear check valves and porportioning valve. Not addressing these differences in proportioning can allow the brake caliper to heat up enough to soften the outer portal seal and you'll get a leak - that's what I did. The Tibus kit comes with disc brakes front and rear but at the time I installed mine there was zero guidance on the rest of the braking system mods - I had to figure it out but now it makes sense. BTW, once sorted these brakes rock.

I wouldn't suggest to anybody that this is an easy DIY installation and if done that way I wouldn't be surprised if there were problems.

Instead, I'd suggest an experienced master mechanic who is capable of precision portal alignment (it has to be perfect), familiar with gearboxes of various types and is intimately familiar with G Wagen axles - should be able to rebuild one to factory specs while blindfolded.

The GFG ones are likely the LeTech portals, which are the ones used on the 4x4 squared. They are things of beauty but like you said they are big bucks. Are they better than Tibus, I'd bet they are.

The performance advantages of adding to portals to a vehicle are nothing short of astonishing. I would have had to put on 44" tires to achieve the clearance that I have with 35's and portals. Needless to say I'm a fan of a portal G of its done right.

Hope this helps.

William

Thx for the update William!

The experienced master mechanic you speak of; still Marc at OCD? http://ocdcustomcycles.com/wp/g-wagen-camper/

rhyno

I have a 4x4 squared with 5000km and have warped the front rotors. MB Canada replaced them under warranty

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
If you ever consider selling this rig, please put me in line first. I am not sure I could afford it, but I would love a chance to buy it and travel in it with my wife and dog.

I have read through this thread at least 4 or 5 times over the years and it never gets old.

Teeth to the wind,
Sno Dawg - Jeff

McBride

Adventurer
So I just returned from the 2019 Clubgwagen Treffen:) Amazing group of G Wagen guys! Now I’m inspired to continue with the G Wagen camper modifications that will make it more highway friendly. That includes swapping the 722.3 tranny for the 5 speed 722.6, adding an Ole tranny controller, and moving to 37” tires. I’ve been advised that if I do the latter that I should go with the heavy duty axles so I’ll be doing that too.

It’ll be nice to extend the reasonable range for 7-10 day trips.

I’ll keep you all posted once things get underway.

William

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
So I just returned from the 2019 Clubgwagen Treffen:) Amazing group of G Wagen guys! Now I’m inspired to continue with the G Wagen camper modifications that will make it more highway friendly. That includes swapping the 722.3 tranny for the 5 speed 722.6, adding an Ole tranny controller, and moving to 37” tires. I’ve been advised that if I do the latter that I should go with the heavy duty axles so I’ll be doing that too.

William

Drool!!

MitsyMonty

William

This years clubG Treffen was a blast, glad you were able to make it! :cool:

oddvaro

LOL! Hi Jeremy:) Hope all is well with you.

I’ll be doing a few other mods to bring this old T-Rex into the 21st century. The goal is “pure awesome”.
Hi McBride,
I have a 1992 MB 300GE SWB with Tibus Portals. Did the conversion 3 years ago. Also fitted a 722.6 gearbox with OF controller. The controller works really great and it is nice to get the rpms down to normal levels. 60 mph at approx 2500rpm.
I run 35" wheels and would not run 37" with my I-6 engine. Would need a stronger engine.
My plan is to extend the wheelbase to 3400mm and cut off the cabin behind the front seats and fit a camper box behind. Am currently sourcing prices for the conversion. I do not have a high budget and will probably not do it if cost is >$55k for the rebuild. Timeframe is to have it completed by april 2021.
PS I believe I exchanged messages with you when I did the conversion. Your tips helped a lot and ensured a successful rebuild.

oddvaro

Here is my 1992 300GE SWB with Portal axles and 5-speed auto with Ole Fejer controller display.

Attachments

• IMG_3316.JPG
    IMG_3316.JPG
    872.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1779.JPG
    IMG_1779.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 98

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles