PullPal vs Other Winch Anchors

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I have a PullPal rated for my 6000# vehicle. It’s big, cumbersome, heavy and a finger biter. I’ve only used it once in seven years. It did save my ****** that one day. But I look at all the heavy bars and linkage and wonder it all that is really needed. I have some ideas for simplifying and reducing the weight. So wondering if anyone else has modified their Pullpal.

I searched other winch anchors but didn’t find much. The Smittiebuilt and ARB popped up frequently. One other looked interesting and used a Hilift jack mast as the main beam. Less stuff to carry but I don’t want to dismantle my jack each time. Besides I might need the jack and anchor at the same time.

Thoughts?
6d8ce7288e26ab5b9111a51f5e80f77b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeysevin

Observer
Looks like a lot of labor to use but it is way lighter.

Sean

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Looks like a lot of labor to use but it is way lighter.

Sean

I saw that too. I’m skeptical of its value. I sure wouldn’t want to bury it for an earth anchor.

Superduty

Adventurer
Dismantle the hi lift once every 7 years?

I guess Murphy's law is that you might need them both at same time.

I guess if you travel solo often an anchor can be priceless insurance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Dismantle the hi lift once every 7 years?

I guess Murphy's law is that you might need them both at same time.

I guess if you travel solo often an anchor can be priceless insurance.

I do travel solo a lot. Yes, the time the PullPal saved my butt I was alone.

There might be a rescue where speed is needed. I wouldn’t want to dismantle one tool to build another.

Superduty

Adventurer
I do travel solo a lot. Yes, the time the PullPal saved my butt I was alone.

There might be a rescue where speed is needed. I wouldn’t want to dismantle one tool to build another.

Planting a tree and waiting for it to grow into a suitable anchor is another bad option of speed may be needed.

Sounds like the pull pal may be the safest solution.

You talked about possibly modifying it, how would you modify?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
A spare wheel is always available, weighs nothing extra and with some time and effort will do a better job than any anchor.
I have one of those other things in my shed if any one wants it. Still has the paint on it. I carried it for 1 year and have dug 2 holes 25 years.
Slide07.JPG

d3681E.jpg
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I have a 'Redrock' anchor which is the same design as the ARB/Smittiebuilt/etc. I have not used it yet, but as far as quality I am very pleased and it folds nicely into a provided bag. I'm going to build some bolt-on 'wings' so it has a larger surface area for use with my fat pig Kodiak, as it is much heavier than 'normal' vehicles. I've seen the ones that use the Hi-lift beam, but that certainly seems like a great way to bend/tweet that beam, rendering your jack useless.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Planting a tree and waiting for it to grow into a suitable anchor is another bad option of speed may be needed.

Sounds like the pull pal may be the safest solution.

You talked about possibly modifying it, how would you modify?

Get rid of most or all of the heavy linkage. In other words KISS. Boat anchors have only one single arm and they are self-setting.

alia176

Explorer
I don't carry a PulPal nor a Hi-lift but did have to bury a spare tire once for a winch anchor. When you're stuck, you've got ALL the time in the world to dig a trench and a hole while contemplating what the F&^%$* could you've done differently ;)

kwill

Observer
No insult intended to anyone but I don't get it. In many areas where I travel (think desert southwest) there is no way to bury something without a backhoe. In areas soft enough to dig a deep hole or trench (think beach) wouldn't the time spent digging be better spent on digging the vehicle out? The few times I've seen people try it the stuck vehicle just pulls the anchor to the car. My sense is that it takes really specialized conditions for one of these devices to work for self recovery. What am I missing?

alia176

Explorer
No insult intended to anyone but I don't get it. In many areas where I travel (think desert southwest) there is no way to bury something without a backhoe. In areas soft enough to dig a deep hole or trench (think beach) wouldn't the time spent digging be better spent on digging the vehicle out? The few times I've seen people try it the stuck vehicle just pulls the anchor to the car. My sense is that it takes really specialized conditions for one of these devices to work for self recovery. What am I missing?

good points as I live in the SW and the soil can be rocky as all get out!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The few times I've seen people try it the stuck vehicle just pulls the anchor to the car. My sense is that it takes really specialized conditions for one of these devices to work for self recovery. What am I missing?
The trick is to get them to 'set'. So in many (most?) conditions dropping them on the surface and hoping they will dig in (the whole idea behind the arm is to force an angle) is not going to work. Starting a 'hole' in the soil, not a huge hole like burying your spare, but giving them a good start, a half to a whole spade distance+ can make a big difference. They still need to dig themselves down by that angling of the spade, so results will vary. Certainly, these are large and heavy, so not end-all to getting un-stuck. Just one more tool in the recovery toolbox, if you have the room, capacity, and desire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles