PullPal vs Other Winch Anchors

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
No, PullPals are not self setting. I’ve used mine for real and in training. It really takes two people. One to operate the winch and another to hold it upright and guide it in until it sets firmly. Because I travel solo a lot I got a wireless remote for the winch.

True there are conditions where the PP just won’t work. I’ve been wanting to buy one of those hooks that the wrecker drivers use to hook onto a car. Where it’s too rocky or slickrock, there should be a crack to hook to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Rule #1. 99% of the time, letting (lots) of air out is sufficient.
If it is too soft for that, an anchor will be useless. If it is too hard to dig a hole for a spare, refer to rule #1.
A decent compressor and a decent shovel are your best friends. And learn a bit from each experience to reduce the frequency.
1995 Currawinya NP 2.jpgBogged again.jpgs147E.jpg
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

greg.potter

Adventurer
A spare wheel is always available, weighs nothing extra and with some time and effort will do a better job than any anchor.
I have one of those other things in my shed if any one wants it. Still has the paint on it. I carried it for 1 year and have dug 2 holes 25 years.
View attachment 626842

View attachment 626841
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

I have used t-slot anchor systems many times in mountaineering situations using a ski or ice axe placed horizontally as the anchor but never thought about utilizing a t-slot for vehicle extraction. A high-lift placed horizontally would probably make a pretty good anchor point for most SUV's.

Maybe I should think about ditching my Pull Pal ..........
The earlier point about potentially needing a second line if the vehicle is close to rolling was a good one though!
Going to need to think about this a bit .......

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I have used t-slot anchor systems many times in mountaineering situations using a ski or ice axe placed horizontally as the anchor but never thought about utilizing a t-slot for vehicle extraction. A high-lift placed horizontally would probably make a pretty good anchor point for most SUV's.

Maybe I should think about ditching my Pull Pal ..........
The earlier point about potentially needing a second line if the vehicle is close to rolling was a good one though!
Going to need to think about this a bit .......

A while back Overland Journal did a test of winch anchors. They tried a Hilift and it bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
The tire anchor + winch didn't work for me down in Baja. Ground was too soft and water kept rising up into the hole. When I winched, the tire anchor would give and pull all the mud toward the rig. Got rescued by fisherman in a truck with line. Good karma because couple days prior I rescued a fisherman whose boat engine died. He made it to shore and fortunately found my camp on the beach. I gave him a ride back into town. He gave me bread from the bakery he also works at and tokens for free shower at the campground.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a Pull Pal and other than practice, have never used it. I have it stowed inside and does not take up much room. I have added an exhaust bag to my recovery kit. Again, other than practice , I have not had to use it . Getting older has improved my decision making in when to stop and turn around.

I can see the exhaust bag being very useful especially with a blown out tire and the truck sitting on the rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94