Pulling the trigger on a Zuk

jh504

Explorer
I am heading out tomorrow to pick up an 87 Samurai I found on craigslist. It has a SOA and stock axles and trans/tcase. The guy started to try and put a porsche 944 2.5L engine in it and it looks like he gave up. I dont know what all the engine is going to entail but I will probably just start over and drop a 1.6L 8 valve in it.
I'm really excited about this one, I've been wanting to get my hands on a decent Samurai for a while.
Anyone here running Samurais with engine conversions? I know the 1.6 is the easiest route but is anyone running anything else that they prefer? I have access to a 20r but it looks like that will be more work than I want to do for this engine swap.

Suggestions welcome!

suzuki.jpg

REasley

Adventurer
I have an 87 zuk, but I am still running the original 1.3. I picked up a 91 1.6 8v Sidekick a few months ago but have not had time to complete the swap. Why an 8 valve and not a 16? Are you going to carb it? The 16 valve produces more power, but you must use the fuel injection and wiring harness from the donor kick/track. The 8 valve came with throttle body injection, but will accept the manifold and carb from the 1.3.

One of the hot swaps is the VW 1.8 tdi engine. If you can find one. The easiest swap is 95 or earlier. After 95 you'll have to transplant just about the whole vw dash along with the engine. I found a wrecked 94 low mileage Passat last fall, but after 3500 for the engine, computer, wiring, intercooler and radiator and then another 1200 for the adapter kit and parts it just didn't seem cost effective. You'll get great power and torque, but you'll never get the 50 mpg that the Jetta got with that engine. Most guys are talking about 20 to 22 mpg.

Good luck with your zuk

chet

island Explorer
My sammy has the 1.6 TBI in it. yes it makes more power than the 1.3 but its less than stellar. I can do 60-70 mph down the hiway until I hit a hill! :D My buddy has almost the exact samurai as mine but the 16V(a low mileage one to boot) and his flys. I may rebuild mine but a VW 1.6TD is in the books I think. From '86 and up VW golf and jettas had good engines to use. I can get a whole car up here for between $250 and $500 sell off stuff and have an almost free motor then its around 3 gtrand for all the swap parts.

The 20R is a good motor but will require a new trans and some major tranny tunnel mods.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Congrats on the Sami, very cool.

I think I would just stick out the porche engine if you are willing to give it a bit of a try.

The power would REALLY be nice in that thing. I have always wondered about dropping a set of CJ/Wrangler axles under one. Nice wide stance for those things, almost like putting full size axles under a TJ.

Anyhow, good luck! They really are a fun little run about.

bearingman

I just picked up an 87 myself. I did have an 88.5 with the 16v and it was great. This one has a .20 over stock engine, weber and thorley header, 4.10 axles on 33's. Not much get up and go after 3rd gear, but it runs and is paid for. IF I HAD the $$$$ and time I would do a 2.8 from a 90-92 S10 with a 700R4 and maybe some Dana's. The 20 or 22R would have power, but the 1.6 8 or 16V is an easier swap. Go to Zuwharrie.com and get more info and/or contact information in Raleigh area.

jh504

Explorer
So it is at its new home.

IMG00181.jpg

The Porsche motor doesnt really fit and he had done absolutely zero to convert it. He just set the engine on the frame rails and left it at that. So that motor is coming out and will go up for sale. He sold the original 1.3 and basically everything with it. So if I do the 1.6 swap I will probably need to find a donor or something to get the other needed components. Since I am starting out with nothing in the engine bay I was thinking of just going the 20r route, since the motor is free.
I will check out Zuwharrie for questions.

So there is no way to make the stock trans work with a 20r? No one makes an adapter?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
What about a VW diesel conversion.....oh boy that would be cool.

VW turbo diesel
1.6 transmission with reduction box off the t-case
Sami t-case mated to that. Double T-case in stock-like length.
toyota solid axle front with a factory electric locker
toyota offset rear custom cut housing with a factory electric locker
Keep the suspension pretty simple on leaves, SOA
Power steering conversion using a celica box
move the fenders up ala Tim Hardy
run some 35s with minimal lift

Oh boy that would be fun.....not that I have thought about it.....

jh504

Explorer
What about a VW diesel conversion.....oh boy that would be cool.

VW turbo diesel
1.6 transmission with reduction box off the t-case
Sami t-case mated to that. Double T-case in stock-like length.
toyota solid axle front with a factory electric locker
toyota offset rear custom cut housing with a factory electric locker
Keep the suspension pretty simple on leaves, SOA
Power steering conversion using a celica box
move the fenders up ala Tim Hardy
run some 35s with minimal lift

Oh boy that would be fun.....not that I have thought about it.....

That would be an awesome setup. I did read up on the diesel conversion a good bit. I am leaning more towards all Toyota right now just because of cost and I am more familiar with Toyota than anything else (I am die hard Toyota). I have some Toyota components readily available and it would really cut down on the cost. I am not dismissing anything though. The VW diesel option is definitely in the air, its just going to come down to what I can get within my price range. This is a budget build.

jh504

Explorer
So....I found a 1.6L from a '91 Sidekick for $75.00. I also found a VW 1.6L diesel for $150 that probably needs a rebuild. I have a free 20r that could use a rebuild for $200 or so.

The conversion kit for the 1.6L Suzuki motor is $169. The conversion kit for the VW motor is $819. I am not really sure what the cost is going to entail to install the 20r since it looks like I will have to buy a transmission, and adapter or Toyota t-case. Even though I am starting from scratch the 1.6L Suzuki might be the most cost effective route. Still working on it.

chet

island Explorer
if you pick up a 2wd toy trans it may fit with a super short jack shaft to the samurai tcase.

The adapter plates are only the beginning for a swap. the diesel swap entails a new rad, exhaust, etc.

the 1.6 swap you can use the sammy rad and the 1.3 exhaust. but if you want efi you have to do the electrical which costs more.

Make sure the VW diesel for $150 is turbo'd if not they are gutless and not really worth it imo

jh504

Explorer
if you pick up a 2wd toy trans it may fit with a super short jack shaft to the samurai tcase.

The adapter plates are only the beginning for a swap. the diesel swap entails a new rad, exhaust, etc.

the 1.6 swap you can use the sammy rad and the 1.3 exhaust. but if you want efi you have to do the electrical which costs more.

Make sure the VW diesel for $150 is turbo'd if not they are gutless and not really worth it imo

The diesel is not the turbo and I think I have pretty much ruled that option out.
I have come across two 1.3L for free though. This thing will not be on the interstate so I am starting to wonder if dropping a rebuilt 1.3 with some gears might be the way to go. I dont plan on going over 31s or 32s.

stevec

Adventurer
I have come across two 1.3L for free though. This thing will not be on the interstate so I am starting to wonder if dropping a rebuilt 1.3 with some gears might be the way to go. I dont plan on going over 31s or 32s.

With 31's or 32's, you should be fine with a 1.3 and some t-case gears. I have an '86 Samurai that I have owned since new, and I currently have 32x10.50" Swampers, stock axle gears, a 6:1 t-case (lowers your high range by about 24%), and a 1.3. The only engine mods are the Weber carb, Thorley header, and 2" exhaust. I can easily do 65mph on the freeway, and hold 60mph on most hills. You aren't going to win any drag races, but if you were looking to do that, you wouldn't have bought a Zuk.

jh504

Explorer
With 31's or 32's, you should be fine with a 1.3 and some t-case gears. I have an '86 Samurai that I have owned since new, and I currently have 32x10.50" Swampers, stock axle gears, a 6:1 t-case (lowers your high range by about 24%), and a 1.3. The only engine mods are the Weber carb, Thorley header, and 2" exhaust. I can easily do 65mph on the freeway, and hold 60mph on most hills. You aren't going to win any drag races, but if you were looking to do that, you wouldn't have bought a Zuk.

Thanks for the info. I have been a Toyota man for a while so I am used to underpowered rigs. I dont think it will be as much of a shock to me as it is for some folks who are used to having too much power at their fingertips. I always said build it tough and underpowered and youll never have issues.

I was looking at the Weber and Thorley headers and they are a little pricey. Maybe I can find a used set, I would really like to build it right. I was also thinking of putting a different cam in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior