Pulling an offroad trailer with an LR3

DiscoCO

Observer
I have a CDNM101 trailer that I currently pull behind my '04 Disco. I have matching 16" wheels and spring under axle. The trailer rides perfectly level and pulls great behind the Disco.

I'm kicking around pulling it with my wife's (soon to be mine) '08 LR3. My question is what are folks doing with the low hitch height behind the LR3? I did buy the newer style LR hitch that sits marginally closer (and higher) to the body of the truck and I do have an adjustable pintle hitch, but even inverted and placed at the highest position I'm still 6 or so inches too short for the lunette on my trailer. The lunette is in the lower of the two holes on the front of the trailer as well.

I love the additional space in the LR3 and the additional power, but can't quite figure out the best way to pull my trailer.

Any advice?

Thanks!

roverandom

Adventurer
Sadly there is not much you can safely do other than fit tiny wheels/tyres to the trailer. The M101 trailer was designed to go behind much larger and taller vehicles. LR3's were designed to pull caravans, horseboxes' and utility carts and the two just don't fit well together.

I have run into the same issue with my Sankey trailer being far too tall for my LR3.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Just put it on air springs. That is what I did with my sankey. I can pull it behind the LR4 or d-90 by adjusting the ride height.

rokrawlr

Observer
The other option is to go to a RV store like Camping World, they have 4, 6 and 8 inch drop/raise adapters that they market for flat towing behind the RV. I use the 8 inch (which has a 10000lb rating) to level out the tow-bar between our stock Avalanche and our 77 Bronco with 35s. It also puts the pintle at fairly close to level for my M416 trailer behind the Avalanche. Haven't tried it yet behind our Sport but eyeball wise it should be fairly perfect.

This guy right here... http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/high-low-hitch-drop-downs-8-drop-down/31332

DiscoCO

Observer
The other option is to go to a RV store like Camping World, they have 4, 6 and 8 inch drop/raise adapters that they market for flat towing behind the RV. I use the 8 inch (which has a 10000lb rating) to level out the tow-bar between our stock Avalanche and our 77 Bronco with 35s. It also puts the pintle at fairly close to level for my M416 trailer behind the Avalanche. Haven't tried it yet behind our Sport but eyeball wise it should be fairly perfect.

This guy right here... http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/high-low-hitch-drop-downs-8-drop-down/31332

Thanks for the link. I'm curious how it ends up working on your Sport - inverted obviously.

Cheers!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
There is a guy in the UK that makes a proper off road worthy hitch for the LR3. I think he's Uncle Stu or something like that. It's been quite a while since I've been on Disco3.co.uk, but if you search there, you'll find it

rokrawlr

Observer
Thanks for the link. I'm curious how it ends up working on your Sport - inverted obviously.

Cheers!

I'm hoping to get a chance this summer to test it out with some desert camping... I can just imagine the looks on people's faces when they see a shiny blue Sport towing a well-loved (battered really) M416 trailer... ha!

perkj

Explorer
There is a guy in the UK that makes a proper off road worthy hitch for the LR3. I think he's Uncle Stu or something like that. It's been quite a while since I've been on Disco3.co.uk, but if you search there, you'll find it

Its actually Uncle Ray and his id on disco3 is RLD. I've already sent him a PM for cost and shipping of his high mount hitch receiver. I'm also checking to see if he makes it for the newer shorter receiver from Land Rover. Here is a picture of his:
normal_Out%20Camping%20again%20then%20off%20roading%20with%20the%20Trailer%20tow%20hitch%20003.jpg

The Mitchell Bros offering from Australia is the nicest high hitch offering for the LR3 b/c its takes the factory receiver out of the equation completely, but comes at a very high cost:
file.jpg

http://store.mitchellbros.com.au/discovery-3-4-and-rrs/discovery-3-tow-hitch.html

Last edited:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I have the mitchell bros. It is nice. Easy install, mindless upgrade for the money. Couple that with the AT Max hitch/coupler. I went down the path with the pintle setup on my d-90. Too much weight. I can't imagine putting that setup from Uncle Ray on the back. Just throw an anchor out the window.

perkj

Explorer
I have the mitchell bros. It is nice. Easy install, mindless upgrade for the money. Couple that with the AT Max hitch/coupler. I went down the path with the pintle setup on my d-90. Too much weight. I can't imagine putting that setup from Uncle Ray on the back. Just throw an anchor out the window.

What was the total cost including shipping on the Mitchell?

perkj

Explorer
Got a reply from Uncle Ray. Below is a picture of the unit for the shorter style factory hitch receiver. The cost is 180 british pounds or roughly $300 plus shipping. I'm still waiting on a shipping cost.

normal_D3_sanky_hitch_002.jpg

draaronr

Adventurer
Got a reply from Uncle Ray. Below is a picture of the unit for the shorter style factory hitch receiver. The cost is 180 british pounds or roughly $300 plus shipping. I'm still waiting on a shipping cost.

normal_D3_sanky_hitch_002.jpg
No way is that strong. No engineering in that.

unseenone

Explorer
The mitchell is pricey, and I haven't gotten them to bit shipping here. It might be worthwhile to arrange group pricing and shipping, perhaps Justin @ lucky8 can coordinate, or I could, I have an import license. I'll bite for one. Someone needs to negotiate a group rate and we can give it a go. There's another one, less sophisticated mentioned here, I dropped an e-mail to the fellow and haven't gotten a reply. info@voyageroffroad.com -- Andy Perhaps again, a group buy might work in our favor... Keep me posted.

It would be important, and aggravating to point out, ongoing issues with the LR receiver design on these vehicles. They've had 3 or 4 revisions to the design, they are overpriced. Finally, most importantly, they have quietly changed the use recommendation to "for occasional use only". I don't know how they can retroactively do such a thing, and still meet the legal requirements for hitch rating. This is very very annoying, I suspect they're waiting for a few accidents and deaths and the ambulance chasers get busy, rather than simply license one of the few decent designs out there, and replace it for folks who request it (tow or plan to tow) or actually bought the kit on their original invoice with vehicle, etc.. just a few points to ponder for folks towing. I know in AU, UK, IR, there have been various issues, loose hitches, broken adapters, etc. I wonder who will be liable when a trailer careens into an oncoming school bus, the driver, or Land Rover.

I love the vehicles, and expect (and have) spent time, effort and money keep the vehicle updated. I just don't understand why companies don't just do the right thing to begin with when faced with the facts.

This is typical, dash crack dance, seat belt buckles cracking, brake light switches, roof glass cracking, etc., are all examples of silly little things that negatively impact the brand, which are not addressed by the company, and we tolerate despite that because we like the brand.

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I have an rr sport , same frame and receiver which took a while to find here as most just use a ball hitch

We are using a 9" drop hitch reversed for my offroad trailer

The hitch is US made......works fine

I'll take a pic in a moment..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles