Pulling an LR4 behind an RV??

Glapin

So my neighbor just joined the LR club. He bought a 2016 LR4 SDV6. He has a large RV coach and was wondering about towing the LR behind the coach like many folks do. Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with this? Thanks in advance.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
An LR3/4 is incredibly heavy for its size, so the first thing I'd check is if the RV can truly tow that much.

discodisco

Observer
I am an avid roverphile and I looked into this for years. I ended up trading in my LR4 for a new Colorado ZR2 Diesel specefically for the almost impossible task of making a LR4 a dinghy/toad. It can not be put on a dolly either. It needs its own flat bed trailer. I kept my 2001 Discovery to feed my addiction.

Glapin

I am an avid roverphile and I looked into this for years. I ended up trading in my LR4 for a new Colorado ZR2 Diesel specefically for the almost impossible task of making a LR4 a dinghy/toad. It can not be put on a dolly either. It needs its own flat bed trailer. I kept my 2001 Discovery to feed my addiction.
Thanks very much for the input. He'll be bummed as he's been envious of my LR3 for years, but I guess he'll have to find something else to use as a dingy.

naks

from the LR4's workshop manual:

4 Wheel Towing
• CAUTIONS:
Suspended towing of this vehicle MUST NOT be attempted, if 4 wheel towing is not possible, vehicle must be recovered on a suitable trailer.

The vehicle may be towed for a maximum of 3 hours or 90 miles (150 km) at a maximum speed of 30 mph (50 km/h), these limits MUST NOT be exceeded.
CAUTION: If electrical power is not available, and 'H' - HIGH cannot be selected, the vehicle may not be towed but must be recovered on a suitable trailer. If, however, transfer box was in 'H' - HIGH when electrical power was lost, vehicle may still be towed.

but there is conflicting information about the maximum towable distance in another section of the manual:

TOWING FOR RECOVERY
The following procedure must be used to ensure that the vehicle is towed in a safe condition and damage to the vehicle transmission systems is prevented.
Secure the towing attachment from the recovery vehicle to the towing eye of the vehicle to be recovered.
Make sure that the hand brake is on. Turn the ignition key to the ignition position II.
Apply the footbrake and move the automatic transmission selector lever to the neutral position. If electrical power is not available, use the manual interlock release tab on the selector lever to move the lever to the neutral position.
Make sure that the ignition is in the auxiliary position I or, if the stop lamps and turn signal indicators are required, in the ignition position II.
Make sure that the hand brake is released before the vehicle is towed.
The vehicle can only be towed for a maximum of 31 miles (50 km) at a maximum speed of 30 mph (50 km/h). Towing the vehicle for longer distances and/or faster speeds will damage the transmission.

The better option would be to tow the RV behind the LR4

?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz