Pulled Baofeng Post

worthingtontw

Observer
Missed your thread but I can confirm the frequency limitations. Have UV-5R V2+ and unlike my older UV-5R it will not reach down past 145mhz. With chirp you can program it to go lower to listen to 144.39 paired to APRSdroid but no transmitting. Really the only annoying thing about the firmware changes.

Izzy1

Izzy
If you are referring to the FCC Order on Baofeng, its very real and on the FCC site as of 8/1/2018.

Link:
https://www.fcc.gov/document/amcrest-citation-and-order

Excerpt:
2. This CITATION AND ORDER (Citation) notifies Amcrest Industries, LLC d/b/a Baofengradio.us (Amcrest or Company) that it is marketing an unauthorized RF device—a handheld two-way radio—in violation of Section 302(b) of the Communications Act, as amended (Act), and Section 2.803 of the Commission’s rules. We therefore direct Amcrest to take immediate steps to come into compliance with the Commission’s equipment authorization rules and cease marketing unauthorized RF devices in the United States. If Amcrest fails to comply with these laws, it may be liable for significant fines of up to $19,639 per day and other sanctions.

FlipperFla

I think they got fined, I have two, purchased an extra for back up. They locked the frequency transmit on the new ones so you cant transmit on non 2M frequencies. The my old ones you could rx and tx on FRS, GMRS, Marine VHF and 2M, aviation, police and fire. And yes, I know its illegal.

kbroderick

I think they got fined, I have two, purchased an extra for back up. They locked the frequency transmit on the new ones so you cant transmit on non 2M frequencies. The my old ones you could rx and tx on FRS, GMRS, Marine VHF and 2M, aviation, police and fire. And yes, I know its illegal.
Can you adjust the transmit limits with Chirp, or is it actually locked?

FlipperFla

Didnt try that, loaded some 2M freq we use and some call and emergency channels and gave that one to the Wife LOL! Also I read more and it seems to be a cluster in the FCCs wording stating the old styles are illegal to use even for Hams, after dragging their feet for years not enforcing the rules , now that over thousands have already been sold in the U.S. I guess they think everybody is going to throw them away?The ARRL is trying to work it out with them. Found the info on Youtube.

kbroderick

Didnt try that, loaded some 2M freq we use and some call and emergency channels and gave that one to the Wife LOL! Also I read more and it seems to be a cluster in the FCCs wording stating the old styles are illegal to use even for Hams, after dragging their feet for years not enforcing the rules , now that over thousands have already been sold in the U.S. I guess they think everybody is going to throw them away?The ARRL is trying to work it out with them. Found the info on Youtube.

If you're not stepping on a licensed frequency or otherwise being a **************, the chance of anything happening in terms of enforcement would seem to be close to zero. My guess is that the only place we could see enforcement is where either (a) someone is being a ************** or (b) the local Motorola vendor has lost a significant revenue stream because a local organization switched to non-part-90 radios.

And yes, given that hams are specifically allowed to build their own radios, it seems asinine to suggest that they can't be trusted to own a radio capable of being programmed to transmit out of the appropriate band plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles