pull pal alternatives

big sky trapper

Adventurer
A disscusision going on at yotatech.

http://yotatech.com/showthread.php?p=50502602#post50502602

my reply there and if any one here is interested...

I built one in under an hour, final cost for the first prototype is 42$. testing pics will be up tommorrow eve on here

Wasnt that hard to build. and it even folds up like a "real" one. For a spade i used a 14" duck foot plow similar to the golpher model on page one. 10 feet of 2 in square tubing. 6 - 1/2x 3 1/2 inch bolts washers nuts ect. six conection plates.

If it works Ill freely give the design info out on here if it dont well ...... I guess back to the drawing boards ...and you get to see some "when bad design go wrong" funnies !

big sky trapper

Adventurer
a sneaky peaky

P4150004.jpg
[/IMG]
P4150003.jpg
[/IMG]

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have a home brew one too that I bought off someone who knocked out a few locally, for $50, pretty good deal.. Three rigs and myself and some friends spent a miserable afternoon-turned-evening spent buried in some muck once because we had winches but nothing to attach to... What a miserable night... What I like about yours it is collapses, a design feature who ever built this one overlooked.. I am going to start tweaking it to be a little more like yours.. Possibly have a larger blade as well maybe as my trucks are heavy...

big sky trapper

Adventurer
In the above pic's (first post) you can see a second unused hole, Its was to be a place to lock the assembly together when folded down. That ended up being as near to perfect for the front mount. In the original configuration I had the long arm on top at to high an angle. It needs to be as close to parallel with the spade for it dig properly.

This photo shows the how the wrong down angle made it actually want to plow instead of dig.
P4160002.jpg

Here i moved the pulling bar down to where its parallel with the spade and it dug right down almost by itself. Only needed slight hand pressure to steady it and down it dug!
P4160006.jpg

here just a shot of the failed digs haha
P4160008.jpg

here the depth of how easilly it dug down...
P4160009.jpg

so now i have all the angles worked out. I did make this prototype out out of 1/16" square tubeing just for easy working with, now ill think Ill make the final out of 1/8-3/16" wall thickness just for long term durabillity ect. For a toyota sized truck i think the 1/16" thickness would be plenty but the weight differance will be marginal gain for strength I could use on a full size rig if needed. and the nose of this digger will have a provision for a clevis instead of a chain.

The original dims are: top long arm 53" center connecting arm 24" spade connecting arm was 25 inches. You will need 6 connecting straps-2x6, and 9 1/2 x 3 1/2 nuts bolts washers ect.

Happy building your own....

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Willman said:
Love the Hi-lift idea!

The hi-Lift idea is smart, but again the high lift is only rated for 4,660lbs, that part would concern the crap out of me when using it.:REOutArchery02:

Willman

flyingwil said:
The hi-Lift idea is smart, but again the high lift is only rated for 4,660lbs, that part would concern the crap out of me when using it.:REOutArchery02:

Good point!

Safety bolt is designed to shear at 7,000 lbs.!!!!!

And theirs my sign!!!!

:sport_box

Back to the drawing board!

big sky trapper

Adventurer
I dont think they will hit the the market, other than a few locally for some friends... The shipping would be more than the materials to make them i would think. But you are more than welcome to copy and improve on this one. And when you do please post pic's

But using your high lift as the upper base/pull bar could be done I would think if you tied in without the jack assembly just used the notched holed bar for a pull support. The lift bar i would think would be rated by whatever steel its made from and should be way more than my puney 1/16" ...HMMM might have to try that this week end.

So now i need to come up with a way to mount that monster.....

Now that trapping season is over I have to much time on my hands hahaha

big sky trapper

Adventurer
P4210021.jpg

Maybe something like this...but would definatly balace better with a 60" bar instead of a 48".

Mounting to only the bar I would think would be pretty strong. Considering the hook pin on most winches is only 5/16-3/8" the 1/2" bolt in the eylet of the bar should be plenty stong. testing to come....

sockminkey

I may be just a n00b, but I appreciate the research. Thanks for sharing it. I spend a lot of time driving solo in the Great Basin and I'd sure feel safer carrying a Pull-Pal or some reasonable alternative.

akraven

Where did you source the blade for it. I have web searched a few places but find various names for them. Thanks akraven
PS I am not in a great farming area so am a little short of local info!

Last edited:

Howard70

Adventurer
Forward Brace - Tension or Compression?

Hello Bigy Sky:

I really like the Hi Lift idea - I'm always trying to lighten the overall weight carried in our truck and using the Hi Lift like this would be great.

Along the "weight - reduction" lines: It looks to me like the forward diagonal piece would be under tension when your anchor was in use. If that's correct, then could it be replaced with a piece of cable with an eye spliced in each end? That save several pounds over boxed stock. What do you think?

Howard L. Snell

big sky trapper

Adventurer
The plow blade I got from the local ag store in fairfield, i think was about 4 bucks...I did a very quick google look and seen it from several online ag stores might check those out. they come in just about every size from 6inches to 14 inches.

I dont see why a cable wouldnt work, (the end of a recycled old winch cable maybe??) the main reason for the diagnal peice is to provide the stabiltiy it needs untill the plow digs itself in. and then provide some support for the thing untill it sets. Best I could say it try it and see.

Ive been so busy the past week or so i havnt had a chance to take either in the woods and see how they fair....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94