Pull-out Kitchen Thread

rodrage

Adventurer
Yeah,
It takes a good table, saw blade/routing bits, and much more experience to build a knife block. PLUS, they are very heavy, and my gear is heavy enough. The skewer sticks are cheap and easy. They're about 1-2$s per bag and it only took two and a half bags for the small "block box" I built. They are also replaceable and do a good job of keeping blade's edges away from each other. You can fit virtually anything as short as the block- and the skewers move around to mold to each knife or utensil. The tighter you want your knives, the more sticks you add. I only needed a few knives and wanted some taller space behind the block for cooking oil/sauce bottles. The top of the block pulls out at an angle and is held from falling all the way forward with a para-cord stop. I'll try to post some better pictures.

rodrage

Adventurer
I was asked to post build pics, and been told that it looks like production work. Thanks, but I don't see it. The pull-out and the pantry was ALL built in my garage and in my dining room.
FullSizeRender(48).jpg
FullSizeRender(47).jpg
FullSizeRender(46).jpg
FullSizeRender(45).jpg
FullSizeRender(44).jpg
FullSizeRender(43).jpg
FullSizeRender(42).jpg
FullSizeRender(41).jpg
FullSizeRender(40).jpg

osuguy81

So what's it all look like when it's setup pulled out of the trailer? Where does the box that has the paper towels and knife storage usually stay. It doesn't look like it fits in the two stove sink boxes that fold together. Do you have any Picts of it in use while camping.

rodrage

Adventurer
Thanks for the questions- The rear of the trailer has a single bay door, and opens from the left. The inside of the door is lined with pantry (with the paper towel holder). The pull out kitchen is folded and nested in the rear of the trailer (currently being built). It slides on rollers and unfolds to the left. The table that nests in the top when folded clips to the left side of the sink fold out and is held upright with a mono-pod that snaps under the table. No pics in use yet- check the build on my other posts.

osuguy81

The build looks great. I am following to see how things turn out. Thanks for the explanation of how everything will deploy.

ecameron97

Kitchen

I have been working on/using my slide-out kitchen for 5 years now. It is still a work in progress.
DAD - IMG_0236 (2).jpg

There are a few items that I have changed or want to change. First, I had to get rid of the instant hot water heater. I have replaced it two times now and the diaphragm keeps freezing and cracking open overnight. I have tried many things to keep this from happening like blowing the lines out and insulating the internals. I just live in an area where it gets cold at night in the mountains 8 months out of the year or more. This last time I finally threw it away. Does anybody have other ideas of how to heat their water without this problem? Are there better quality water heaters out there?

20150228_135802.jpg

I am also in the process of moving my sink to the front box. The logistics of the slide out kitchen with water plumbed to the sink, electricity to the lights, and gas to the stove are proving difficult and time consuming to hook up. I would like to just be able to slide out the kitchen and use it. With the sink gone and the light moved to a different location, all I have to worry about now is the stove. I am thinking about finding a shorter propane canister that can be housed on the slide-out.

Otherwise, it is a useful thing to have on my trailer and I have enjoyed it immensely.
See here for my build thread.

rodrage

Adventurer
Cool set -up. Although I envy the colder weather up North sometimes (even our mosquitoes sweat year-round here in the south), I do see the drawbacks you mentioned. No clue on how you'd remedy the freezing issue, but I've been on military units that stand the freezing water. They are probably heavy and too bulky for what you're trying to do. You look like you have enough room above the sink to mount a "push away rack" to hold a tank, but I would check the laws on storing the tank inside the trailer. Not sure if it would be any different in risk of interior propane plumbing, but I would check.

huang

I have been working on/using my slide-out kitchen for 5 years now. It is still a work in progress.
View attachment 363527

There are a few items that I have changed or want to change. First, I had to get rid of the instant hot water heater. I have replaced it two times now and the diaphragm keeps freezing and cracking open overnight. I have tried many things to keep this from happening like blowing the lines out and insulating the internals. I just live in an area where it gets cold at night in the mountains 8 months out of the year or more. This last time I finally threw it away. Does anybody have other ideas of how to heat their water without this problem? Are there better quality water heaters out there?

View attachment 363529

I am also in the process of moving my sink to the front box. The logistics of the slide out kitchen with water plumbed to the sink, electricity to the lights, and gas to the stove are proving difficult and time consuming to hook up. I would like to just be able to slide out the kitchen and use it. With the sink gone and the light moved to a different location, all I have to worry about now is the stove. I am thinking about finding a shorter propane canister that can be housed on the slide-out.

Otherwise, it is a useful thing to have on my trailer and I have enjoyed it immensely.
See here for my build thread.

Off hand I can't remember the manufacturer, but there is a hot water heater you can plumb into your vehicle... I was thinking about getting one. I will post more details tonight when I get home.

alia176

Explorer
Off hand I can't remember the manufacturer, but there is a hot water heater you can plumb into your vehicle... I was thinking about getting one. I will post more details tonight when I get home.

You could be thinking about the Espar or Webasto Hydronic heating system but it's a bit $$$$ for a camper trailer.

My EccoTemp had the same freezing issue and gave it away to another feller for spare parts. But, you can't beat the bang for the buck factor for this application. I usually use my heater to heat up both 10gal tanks so it's good for dish duty, washing faces in the morning and of course a shower. The instant hot use was became hot/scalding/fiddling/wasting water mode so I moved on to heating up the whole tank. I like it better this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier