Pull-out Bike Rack for Center-Aisle Floor plan

Trailwerx

Work has been progressing on Nimbus, our 2012 Nissan NV 3500 cargo van. We wanted an interior bike rack both for security and to keep our mountain bikes out of the weather but our center-aisle floor plan lacks a "garage" in which to stow the bikes -- which brought on a lot of head scratching leading to this scheme. We had a bunch of heavy-duty aluminum T track left over from Nimbus's previous incarnation as an electrician's van which I put to use for this slide-out rack. The best thing about it is that the rack goes away once the bikes are unloaded and does not infringe on our precious floor space when we are deployed for camping. The whole rack can be easily removed from the van, moved under the awning, and used as a lockable bike stand in camp. Otherwise both cross-pieces of the rack are simply removed and stowed in a cabinet when not bike hauling, leaving just the T track mounted low and out of the way on each side of the aisle. We used Gripfist rubber quick-release straps to hold the rear wheels which are adjustable to secure anything from skinny to obese and Delta mounts for the forks.

Attachments

• Pull out bike rack1.JPG
    Pull out bike rack1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • Pull out bike rack3small.JPG
    Pull out bike rack3small.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Pull out bike rack3.JPG
    Pull out bike rack3.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • Pull out bike rack2 small.JPG
    Pull out bike rack2 small.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Pull out bike rack8.JPG
    Pull out bike rack8.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • Nimbus w lp removed small.JPG
    Nimbus w lp removed small.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 53

Stitebunny

Adventurer
That’s a pretty nice design! I like that it’s removable. I also like those rubber clamps. They may work for my bike carrier project. Do they size down to a regular 2.5 mtb tire okay and still remain easy to tighten and undo?
would imagine the excess rubber could be trimmed off?

Trailwerx

That’s a pretty nice design! I like that it’s removable. I also like those rubber clamps. They may work for my bike carrier project. Do they size down to a regular 2.5 mtb tire okay and still remain easy to tighten and undo?
would imagine the excess rubber could be trimmed off?

Thanks. Yes, the Gripfist clamps can accomodate tires/rims down to 2.2 inches or so but they also make smaller sizes. They are fairly easy to cinch up and remove and yes, I plan on trimming off the extra rubber after I play around a bit more. I used the same clamps to mount a fire extinguisher and a telescoping ladder, they hold really well and absorb bumps and vibrations too.

Trailwerx

Here is the rack removed from the vehicle. It slides right out on the aluminum tabs that fit inside the T track and can also be partially extended out the back door if desired. Just took it on a shakedown voyage to McCarthy, Alaska on a really rough road and it worked just swell. My original plan was to use sealed bearings instead of sliders but I haven't been able find slotted ones that will fit. Oh well, this works well enough as is.
Bike rack.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier