PSA : InReach on sale at REI

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Good call. Been looking at this. Yes, subscription required, but Garmin does have a monthly "freedom" plan option so you can turn it on/off and only get billed in the months you use it (for a slightly higher fee).

I've carried a 406MHz PLB for years, but the one I own is now overdue for a battery change. New battery requires sending it back to ACR and will cost about as much as a new unit - so I'm back to deciding which comms are "worth it". Given that a mechanical breakdown is equally as likely as a lost/medical issue, I'm thinking the ability to do 2-way texting and ask for help of the "send a tow-truck, not all the S&R helicopters" kind would be an advantage.

jgaz

Adventurer
Given that a mechanical breakdown is equally as likely as a lost/medical issue, I'm thinking the ability to do 2-way texting and ask for help of the "send a tow-truck, not all the S&R helicopters" kind would be an advantage.

This^^^!
Its almost a shame that by calling it texting they give it a bad connotation to some people.

My wife loves that I have the communication feature.
She and I don’t call or text unless absolutelynecessary on our cell phones. But she likes the peace of mind she gets knowing I can tell her a hike is running long.

I text her when I start an off trail hike and she automatically knows where I left the Jeep or truck. Invaluable info if things go wrong later.

I pay $13.57 a month and leave the subscription active year round.
Worth the money, at least to us. YMMV.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I will state that for the piece of mind it gives it is worth it for the subscription but I did not know there was a maintenance fee as well. Apparently for those that travel solo or go very far off the track and have someone waiting for them this can be a lifesaver.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I did not know there was a maintenance fee as well.

There's a $25/year maintenance fee IF you use the "Freedom" plan to enable/disable your billing. ($15/mo for the baseline "safety" plan)
There is only a 1-time $20 activation fee if you use the regular annual plan ($12/month for the "safety" plan.)

If you run the numbers, you see that the "Freedom plan", even with the maintenance fee, is cheaper if you use it fewer than 10 months out of the first 12 (turned off for 3 months). Over the course of 2 years, (2x maintenance fee), you save money if you turn off the plan more than 6 months out of 24. If you take winters off, for example, you can save money with the Freedom option.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Had one for three years now. Even with it's quirks one of the best pieces of kit in my quiver. Haven't had to use it in an emergency. Be sure to make your best buddies get one too as that's when the magic starts. I've done a bunch of fun things like lead friends to my camp 30 miles from a road on day 7, and we regularly text each other when we get into pockets of good fish up high. Simply open the ping in the app (make sure you've downloaded the basic Garmin backgrounds onto your Garmin Earthmate app on your phone) and follow your nose to fish. Peace of mind for home was the main reason for me to buy one as I'm known to go solo multiple times per year. BUT the peace of mind when you are with a group and either separate or get separated on purpose is priceless. "I'm running late but I'm fine". Amazing what those words can really mean. Device to device is magic. Just don't count in it for your main source of nav. Also know that some messages get muddled and it can take some time to sync up and the app interface is "the least bad" of all the options. Meaning not great but the best on the market. I use Backcountry Navigator and Gaia for my real nav. Mini is a communication tool. Usable stand alone but clunky that way. I don't use tracking but I leave it on to catch incoming messages. I can leave the unit on all day, turning it off at night for six days on one charge..

Be sure to let folks know the deal before you go: make them reply to your specific text thread NOT the number that it lands with. They will have an automatic desire to try to use or or save that number. Send some tests with your critical contacts before you are remote. Can't stress how important that is. The actual number floats and changes. Oh and get the silicone cover and screen protectors.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Had one for three years now. Even with it's quirks one of the best pieces of kit in my quiver. Haven't had to use it in an emergency. Be sure to make your best buddies get one too as that's when the magic starts. I've done a bunch of fun things like lead friends to my camp 30 miles from a road on day 7, and we regularly text each other when we get into pockets of good fish up high. Simply open the ping in the app (make sure you've downloaded the basic Garmin backgrounds onto your Garmin Earthmate app on your phone) and follow your nose to fish. Peace of mind for home was the main reason for me to buy one as I'm known to go solo multiple times per year. BUT the peace of mind when you are with a group and either separate or get separated on purpose is priceless. "I'm running late but I'm fine". axing what those words can really mean. Device to device is magic. Just don't count in it for your main source of nav. Also know that some messages get muddled and it can take some time to sync up and the app interface is "the least bad" of all the options. Meaning not great but the best on the market. I use Backcountry Navigator and Gaia for my real nav. Mini is a communication tool. Usable stand alone but clunky that way. I don't use tracking but I leave it on to catch incoming messages. I can leave the until inn all day, turning it off at night for six days on one charge..

Be sure to let folks know the deal before you go: make them reply to your specific text thread NOT the number that it lands with. They will have an automatic desire to try to use or or save that number. Send some tests with your critical contacts before you are remote. Can't stress how important that is. The actual number floats and changes. Oh and get the silicone cover and screen protectors.
Probably the best single description of living with the device I’ve ever read.
I’m going on three years with my device and agree with all points.

On multi day trips, I don’t use tracking either. I leave my device off most of the time turning it on at regular intervals to see if my wife has needed to contact me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles