Provan Tiger Bengal Thread

carleton

This thread will hopefully serve as a focal point for information about Provan Bengal Tigers. While researching this adventure vehicle, I could find very little information, and a lot of the information was dated. So, I'm hoping to compile links here, and hopefully we can all learn something.
I'll also update this with more information over time, please feel free to add in. I've also seen some Tiger CX/TX owners here in ExPo, so please share your rig & thoughts, I think it would be helpful to some folks.
1654827361963.png

Provan Industries:
based out of SC, has manufactured a slow and steady stream of 4x4 campers throughout the years. Starting with an Astro based version, to now a truck based camper platform. There is a pretty good breakdown on the different styles here: Larry's RV, Inc. Central Oregon's Provan Dealer (larrysrv.com)

For business or other reasons, currently the only Provan being manufactured is the Provan Tiger Bengal TX, which can be mounted on your preferred 1-ton pickup chassis w/ 8ft bed.

On Expedition Portal:
Long write up of a 1995 Chevy Tiger CX:
Adventure Tool Company's (ATC) 4wd Provan Tiger adventures | Expedition Portal
Otherwise I couldn't find a single other thread on ExPo dedicated to this platform (other than in the Classifieds).

Video Resources:
When researching this vehicle, I had a hard time really finding many videos at all as to how it actually drives, especially on dirt roads. Here's the few that I could find:
? What A HUGE DIFFERENCE! // 2022 TCA Rally // Hellwig Big Wig Install on a Tiger Adventure Vehicle - YouTube
Walkround Tiger TX
Tiger CX
Bengal Tiger TX Walk Through

Other Resources:
Notable Tiger Travelers: Rick & Kathy Howe.
Tiger Owner's Forum
Tiger Owners on Facebook
Homer the Tiger
Dave & Rebecca's Tiger CX

Hopefully this thread isn't doomed to obscurity. Note to moderators (and a small gripe), there are (3) different sections this post could have gone in: Integrated, Hard-sided, or Other.

carleton

2016 Provan Tiger TX, that we have owned for 6 months.

1654830273147.png
Base Vehicle:
2016 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat, with what I assume was an 8' bed previously.
6.7l Diesel, 4x4, SRW. 34" BFG tires w/ 20" rims.
60 gallon fuel tank
Dual alternators
1654830303009.png

Complete Specs:
Length: 25' currently
Height: 10'5" to the top of the AC unit
MPG: 12.6 on a recent trip.
Weight: ~12,600 wet
1654830349697.png

Habitat:
440Ah AGM house batteries
33 Gal Freshwater
14 Gallon propane
300w Solar
80x54 overcab bed (length of a Queen, width of a Full. Sigh)
Espar D4 w/ over 7000 hours on it (!!!)
A whole lot more.....

Modifications:
We live in Arizona, so AC is a necessity. We just installed a 12v system from Nomadic cooling. So far, so good, and it is lower profile so we lowered the overall vehicle height by 3 inches or so when converting.

How it isn't as tall as many cab-over campers, and a lot shorter than slide-ins, with the weight VERY low.
Previous camper was a Transit van, so having something truck-based is way more comfortable & quiet.
Layout: we are outdoorsy people, and many truck campers & 4-Wheel Campers don't have space for gear. This one does, and we can bring bikes, climbing gear, packrafts, (2) people, and (1) dog.

Dislikes:
At times, way too RV like. We came from DIY Van life, and appreciated the simplicity of systems. This is much more complicated.
Too many fuel types: we are working with Propane (cooktop, water heater & generator), Diesel (vehicle & Espar), and 12V. Each fuel adds weight, space, and complexity.
Bed could be bigger.

Last edited:

Kleavers

I’m a 1 year lurker, recent expo joiner, interested in a sub 50k 4x4 truck/camper or van and like the tiger’s too! Ive lots of experience driving off road and camping, but am new to buying older trucks/campers, I’m curious what people think of this:

Does it seem like a good deal? What should i be on the lookout for in terms of deal.breakers, etc? Is this something i can ask a local mechanic to look over? Hoe do people do that from another city?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I’m a 1 year lurker, recent expo joiner, interested in a sub 50k 4x4 truck/camper or van and like the tiger’s too! Ive lots of experience driving off road and camping, but am new to buying older trucks/campers, I’m curious what people think of this:

Does it seem like a good deal? What should i be on the lookout for in terms of deal.breakers, etc? Is this something i can ask a local mechanic to look over? Hoe do people do that from another city?

I have been looking at Tigers for quite a while, visited SC plant twice, once with check in hand. As far as this rig I think price is really good if as presented. It's older so it may need updating but at that price you could upgrade areas and still be in at good price.

On east coast the shorter wheel base of standard truck (one door) and lower height of CX makes it very nimble. I am not in market, but this seems to me a very good deal if no big issues come up during inspection. It is very rare to see a Tiger at this price in condition this appears to be in.

I can't seeing this lasting long...

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

Great looking and priced Tiger.

Couple of things to consider. It appears the truck is a 1994 or older, not a 95 due to the dash. Now it could be a last built 94/95 and VIN'd as a 95. Just the dash is from the older version. Not a big deal, just different. It's most likely a light duty k2500 with the six lug wheels and the 4l60e trans verses the HD version with the 8 lug wheels and the 4l80e transmission. Also not that big of a deal since both trans are super reliable, cheap and easy to fix. Plus the 4l60e trans just seems to make these truck move faster (I have both). The Chevy chassis/drivetrain is bulletproof and parts and repairs are cheap and easy to get done. Those wheels look like they came off an Escalade which was most likely rated as a K1500. These trucks are heavy. Be careful of under rated wheels that can crack under the weight/use.

The Camper body is is strong and durable. It isn't really well insulated so they can be very cold in the winter and the tanks and pipes can freeze but, this is all fixable. The major issue with these campers is the belly seam along the side. They were not well sealled and can let water in that will rot the floor behind the sofa and behind the kitchen.Take a sharp ice pick and probe those areas where the floor meets the walls from under the camper to make sure the floors are still solid. If ok, great but, you will need to reseal or repair those seams,

As for parts, Provan still sells all the pieces and parts for these campers so they're easy to upgrade and work on.

They are awesome campers on a solid chassis. Our 95 has been all over US and will turn over 200k this year.

Good luck!

78C386B5-0229-4353-8DF2-141AE9CBF184.jpeg

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Paul was my Yoda when I was shopping Tigers - everything he says in his post above is important. I walked away from more than one Tiger during my search and was later glad to have done so, after I heard how things went.

Kleavers

Great advice, super helpful, thank you.
And you were right, it didn’t last long - post is deleted off Craigslist.
Do you have tips on finding one of these when it’s hard/impossible to fly out to see them in person? Do I ask seller if they can take it to a mechanic I’ve located?
A well maintained tiger remains the dream. Also looking at truck/FWC combos.
I appreciate your help, I’ve learned a ton from these forums already!

carleton

Do you have tips on finding one of these when it’s hard/impossible to fly out to see them in person? Do I ask seller if they can take it to a mechanic I’ve located?

Also, the Tiger Owner's Forum (and the classifieds here) are helpful.
Basically, there are so few of these, and many people buy & hold on to them.
So, when a used one hits the market, it gets posted to the Owner's Forum, and generally folks chime in if there is any prior sales & history.

Otherwise, though, the basic advice is unfortunately to have cash and be ready to fly. We wanted a new-ish one, and there have only been about 4-6 that have hit the market in 2022 that are newer than 10 years.

carleton

Apparently I missed this thread from RawToxic on the challenges of mounting an aftermarket awning on his 2005 Tiger CX.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

FYI. It's back on CL for $45k.

E973C635-A928-4AE4-8C2F-67E72713266E.jpg

carleton

Another "newish" Tiger for sale on the Tiger Owner's group on Facebook
Details in the photo, look on FB if you want the seller's information.
FYI, 2021 F350 with the 7.3 Gas Godzilla engine, and owner reports 11mpg.

Tiger.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles