Provan Tiger Bengal Thread

R3D2

Observer
I'm on the hunt for a Tiger crew cab gasser. If anyone hears of any, let me know if you think of it. Seems like I just missed the navy blue one in Seattle, which was exactly what I was looking for. I realize how rare these rigs are. Thx everyone.

rawtoxic

I'm on the hunt for a Tiger crew cab gasser. If anyone hears of any, let me know if you think of it. Seems like I just missed the navy blue one in Seattle, which was exactly what I was looking for. I realize how rare these rigs are. Thx everyone.
They say you have to be fast to catch a Tiger! We finally scored one with a wanted ad on Tiger forum, seller had not listed yet so I booked a flight a few days out and went and made a deal and we drove it home with a 5 day test drive using $100 of gear bought at Walmart (lots of sandwiches). One of the best purchases of our life.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
They say you have to be fast to catch a Tiger! We finally scored one with a wanted ad on Tiger forum, seller had not listed yet so I booked a flight a few days out and went and made a deal and we drove it home with a 5 day test drive using $100 of gear bought at Walmart (lots of sandwiches). One of the best purchases of our life.

That is basically how we found and bought ours. We took Amtrak all the way across the country to pick the Tiger up because Amtrak would allow us to have several large bags shipped along with ourselves without an extra fee. We packed all kinds of basic, necessary camp gear into two huge suitcases and loaded them aboard. When we arrived at the Tiger shop in South Carolina, Amtrak had lost our luggage! Of course they did!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

Congrats and post up some pix!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

I flew to Arkansas during an "arctic blast" to pick up our FWC flatbed with only a carryon bag stuffed to the limit with my backpacking sleeping bag, snow gear, and an insulated mug. (And a change of clothes). By previous agreement, the seller had topped up the propane and water tanks, so I just hit a Home Goods on the way out of town to purchase a single saucepan, a paring knife, and a small cutting board. Grabbed some supplies from my first truck stop fuel-up, and I drove Little Rock to San Diego with two nights of camping and ~26 hours of wheel time.

The upside of buying a "fully equipped" camper is that theoretically, you shouldn't need to add too much extra gear to make it work. If I had to do it again, I'd have packed my Aeropress kit (instead of using packet coffee) and some kind of cheap windshield-mount for my phone. Otherwise, it was a blast!

Hercules

2016 Provan Tiger TX, that we have owned for 6 months.

View attachment 725955
Base Vehicle:
2016 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat, with what I assume was an 8' bed previously.
6.7l Diesel, 4x4, SRW. 34" BFG tires w/ 20" rims.
60 gallon fuel tank
Dual alternators
View attachment 725956

Complete Specs:
Length: 25' currently
Height: 10'5" to the top of the AC unit
MPG: 12.6 on a recent trip.
Weight: ~12,600 wet
View attachment 725957

Habitat:
440Ah AGM house batteries
33 Gal Freshwater
14 Gallon propane
300w Solar
80x54 overcab bed (length of a Queen, width of a Full. Sigh)
Espar D4 w/ over 7000 hours on it (!!!)
A whole lot more.....

Modifications:
We live in Arizona, so AC is a necessity. We just installed a 12v system from Nomadic cooling. So far, so good, and it is lower profile so we lowered the overall vehicle height by 3 inches or so when converting.

How it isn't as tall as many cab-over campers, and a lot shorter than slide-ins, with the weight VERY low.
Previous camper was a Transit van, so having something truck-based is way more comfortable & quiet.
Layout: we are outdoorsy people, and many truck campers & 4-Wheel Campers don't have space for gear. This one does, and we can bring bikes, climbing gear, packrafts, (2) people, and (1) dog.

Dislikes:
At times, way too RV like. We came from DIY Van life, and appreciated the simplicity of systems. This is much more complicated.
Too many fuel types: we are working with Propane (cooktop, water heater & generator), Diesel (vehicle & Espar), and 12V. Each fuel adds weight, space, and complexity.
Bed could be bigger.

Can you talk more about your experience with the 12v AC vs 440ah bank? Do you have dual alternators and a large DC-DC charger? Is the 6K BTU of the Dometic enough for the dark paint and AZ sun? I was wondering if you'd have to put it over the bed ensure sleeping comfort.

carleton

Can you talk more about your experience with the 12v AC vs 440ah bank? Do you have dual alternators and a large DC-DC charger? Is the 6K BTU of the Dometic enough for the dark paint and AZ sun? I was wondering if you'd have to put it over the bed ensure sleeping comfor

A few points to clarify on the above question:
1) we live in Flagstaff, not Phoenix, so keep in mind our use-case is more similar to Colorado.
2) we have the Nomadic Cooing 3000, which is theoretically 11800 btu, and is mounted above the galley.

Thoughts:
*The limiting factor to A/C in a Tiger really seems to be the insulation. The roof is painted white, which helps, but no, the AC won't hold up when parked in the sun in Phoenix.
*The Dometics are probably more effective, I don't think the Nomadic Cooling is a great design, and they in fact just did a major product switch. But, the Dometics require a 14.5" hole, and cutting a larger hole in the roof of a Tiger doesn't seem like a great idea.
--
Our use case is really for a dog, for 1-2 hours while we are mountain biking. So, 440aH of AGM works for that, but eventually the voltage drop turns off the AC. Nomadic really recommends Lithium. We are about to switch to 400ah lithium, which should improve our performance of the AC and give us longer run times.

Honestly, I just want enough power to load up the dog, and run the thing full blast for 2 hours so we can mountain bike.
--
For our new setup, it's going to be dual alternators to the BIM
We are mostly weekend warriors, so our alternator gives off way more power than solar.

S2DM

Adventurer
Looking for a regular cab tiger, ideally one that needs work on the interior since I'd planned to rebuild the layout anyways. Please pass on any listing that come up! :)

ClemsonWojo

I'll be selling mine soon. 2020 Chevy 3500 crew cab based. 6.6L Gas motor. 36,000 miles. It's all electric (no propane or generator). I am out of town for the next three weeks, but will get an ad together early July. IMG_3768.jpegIMG_2551.jpegIMG_3052.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles