Provan Tiger Bengal Thread

Spencer for Hire

A few points to clarify on the above question:
1) we live in Flagstaff, not Phoenix, so keep in mind our use-case is more similar to Colorado.
2) we have the Nomadic Cooing 3000, which is theoretically 11800 btu, and is mounted above the galley.

Thoughts:
*The limiting factor to A/C in a Tiger really seems to be the insulation. The roof is painted white, which helps, but no, the AC won't hold up when parked in the sun in Phoenix.
*The Dometics are probably more effective, I don't think the Nomadic Cooling is a great design, and they in fact just did a major product switch. But, the Dometics require a 14.5" hole, and cutting a larger hole in the roof of a Tiger doesn't seem like a great idea.
--
Our use case is really for a dog, for 1-2 hours while we are mountain biking. So, 440aH of AGM works for that, but eventually the voltage drop turns off the AC. Nomadic really recommends Lithium. We are about to switch to 400ah lithium, which should improve our performance of the AC and give us longer run times.

Honestly, I just want enough power to load up the dog, and run the thing full blast for 2 hours so we can mountain bike.
--
For our new setup, it's going to be dual alternators to the BIM
We are mostly weekend warriors, so our alternator gives off way more power than solar.
I am curious as what kind of new setup are you going with? Another van? Truck slide in? Maybe you are reconfiguring your current Tiger? Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

carleton

I am curious as what kind of new setup are you going with? Another van? Truck slide in? Maybe you are reconfiguring your current Tiger? Thank you for your time.
Yeah, we are tinkerers, so this is Camper #4 for me (Vanagon, Chevy Express home build, Transit home build, Tiger). We are just wrapping up a switch from 440 AhAGMs to 400 Ah Lithium in our Tiger.

UngaWunga

Tiger owners, what's the ceiling height in these? What are the dimensions of the over-cab bed?
I'm on the tall side, and being able to stand up straight and sleep without curling into a ball would be nice.
Thanks

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Tiger owners, what's the ceiling height in these? What are the dimensions of the over-cab bed?
I'm on the tall side, and being able to stand up straight and sleep without curling into a ball would be nice.
Thanks
Width of the overhead bed should be fine for being maybe up to 6’3”?

I have a Tiger with the lower roof (ok for folks up to maybe 6’1”) but the OH bed width is the same for mine and the one with the higher roof.

I’m 6’0” tall and have to duck just a bit when I’m under the centrally located roof a/c opening, and have plenty of room lengthwise in the OH bed. I think the higher roof model gives you maybe 2” additional inside height, IIRC.

Go to their website….Provan Tigers…to get the accurate specs.

Etownrunner

Hello! Looking for opinions and advice. I have a 1994 Tiger. 89k on it. window gaskets need some work and has an exhaust leak on the manifold I think. Good tick until it warms up. Its in great shape for a 94. Was bringing it home from our cabin to clean it up and put in storage for the winter and hit a deer. I am struggling to find a body shop that will fix it and the RV places around me (Northern WI) wont work on it. Thinking about just pounding out the best I can and hitting with some paint. Also might just list it for sale as is. I am torn. I have coverage on it but cant find anyone to give me a quote to fix it. What would you all do? If you were going to sell where would you start? I bought it from my uncle who was the second owner.

IMG_1656.jpegIMG_1658.jpgIMG_1659.jpg

oldnslow

Observer
I believe that lower part is aluminum. That should not be hard to pound out to "good enough" and just keep on using it.

It also should not be hard to sell as is, these are in high demand.

rawtoxic

We had a small Tiger fender bender and I was able to get a small shop where the owners does most the work to do repairs and also fix some other pre-existing probs for me at the same time all for the amount the insurance company estimated to give me. Denver RV Repairs in Golden, CO. Look for small places the big dogs won't touch it or another idea would be take a road trip to SC to Provan Headquarters and maybe they will repair in-house?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Hello! Looking for opinions and advice. I have a 1994 Tiger. 89k on it. window gaskets need some work and has an exhaust leak on the manifold I think. Good tick until it warms up. Its in great shape for a 94. Was bringing it home from our cabin to clean it up and put in storage for the winter and hit a deer. I am struggling to find a body shop that will fix it and the RV places around me (Northern WI) wont work on it. Thinking about just pounding out the best I can and hitting with some paint. Also might just list it for sale as is. I am torn. I have coverage on it but cant find anyone to give me a quote to fix it. What would you all do? If you were going to sell where would you start? I bought it from my uncle who was the second owner.

View attachment 801428View attachment 801429View attachment 801430

Welcome to the Tiger World! Our trucks could be brothers! Mine is #33 and a 94 K2500 with over 200k on it now. I gutted and fully restored ours, so what you have there is a lower aluminum exterior panel, internal wooden frame ribs (like an old wooden boat), a belt line weather strip. The corner next to the passenger door is molded plastic with aluminum trim molding.

The corner next to the passenger door should be an easy fix. Remove the corner molding and pop the molded plastic back into place. May need to warm it with a heat gun but it should just pop back into place. The corner trim molding is an aluminum channel and can be bent back into shape.

The challenge with the aluminum panel between the door, wheel well and the back corner is it's one piece and the compound flaring by the door won't be easy to fix unless it's pounded out and filled with body putty (not a good option since it will crack and fall apart down the road) The best option, yet most expensive is call Provan and see if they will sell/send you a new lower panel (expensive) and then simply remove the damaged panel (will require the removal of the sofa, interior panel, belt line molding and carefully separating the panel from the wooden ribs) and gluing the panel to the ribs and then repaint the panel. Thankfully you wont have to replace the blue graphic!

BTW, I can relate to the whole deer strike thing and thats why I added the HD grill guard. A couple of years ago we were in NM and a small buck decided to fight the front end of the Tiger....managed to crack the grill and bounce off the side of the hood....A new black grill, new plastic headlight, buffed the hood and added the grill guard and back on the road.

They are worth it if you will use and travel in them! Cheers.

IMG_5992.jpgIMG_5993.jpgIMG_5991.jpg

Last edited:

wheelie

Wheelie

I have the window glazing (seals). I also have replacement over cab window frames. New and used.

1) I currently own a 94 CX 4x4. Basket case. (needs a full rebuild.)
2) a 2008 F-350 diesel ext cab 4x4 CX (remodeling)
3) a 2004 Chevy 2500hd 4x4 6.0 gas. High mileag (remodeling)
4) and my personal 2011 3500hd ext cab diesel Extra tall Bengal.

let me know if you need the glazing. Pm me.

wheelie

Wheelie

I also have that drivers side sheet metal to use as a template. And the flare trim.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have the window glazing (seals). I also have replacement over cab window frames. New and used.

1) I currently own a 94 CX 4x4. Basket case. (needs a full rebuild.)
2) a 2008 F-350 diesel ext cab 4x4 CX (remodeling)
3) a 2004 Chevy 2500hd 4x4 6.0 gas. High mileag (remodeling)
4) and my personal 2011 3500hd ext cab diesel Extra tall Bengal.

let me know if you need the glazing. Pm me.

You have the two new front window frames on the top? Are you willing to sell them or point me in the direction to get them?
Thanks!IMG_1368.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles