Proud new owner of this 300GD

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I picked up my new adventure vehicle this weekend. I drove it from Reno, Nevada to Portland, Oregon via the Black Rock Desert wilderness and the Alvord Desert. If you look closer in the attached photo you'll see a Pronghorn Antelope staring at me while I'm taking the photo of my new truck.

It is a 1985 300GD with automatic transmission and a OM617A 5-cylinder Turbo Diesel engine. It was a special import from Germany that was federalized for legal entry. It was ordered with all the extra options from the German dealership: safari roof with built in rails, recaro seats, 3 fuel tanks, heavy duty sound insulation. It also has front and rear hydraulic lockers.

P1210545.jpg

Last edited:

Beater_Bimmer

Adventurer
Awesome, awesome rig. I was eyeing that one myself but living in California, we can't have such things... The safari roof - DROOL! I hope you'll post here and clubgwagen. Great pic!

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Expect a lot of posts on both forums! I'm very excited about it. This one was actually previously registered in California.

Awesome, awesome rig. I was eyeing that one myself but living in California, we can't have such things... The safari roof - DROOL! I hope you'll post here and clubgwagen. Great pic!

paachi

Gosh. That's a beautiful rig. I am so envious. I am looking for a diesel G but living Cali has its limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otiswesty

Regular guy
I loved those Recaros. Burned many a gallon of diesel driving up to Mount Hood in that truck with the family.

Attachments

• DSCN0574.jpg
    DSCN0574.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0552.jpg
    DSCN0552.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 106

otiswesty

Regular guy
I hope you got all the original paperwork with that truck. I gave it all to Kent when he bought it in June 2008. Pretty neat story.

You'll notice that this truck has no rust at the rear seams by the tail lights, and it is original paint! The 460's with the saddle bag tanks had that area protected by the additional fuel tanks. Most 460's rust out there because of all the crud that gets thrown up off of the tires into that area.

Looks fantastic in white with the cloth Recaros. How are these turbodiesel powerplants over the paved roads? Can the truck comfortably run 65mph on the highway? Is the interior noise manageable?

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Yes. I have all the paperwork and there was a lot of it! The truck is so incredibly rust free, it worries me a little that I brought it from the Nevada desert back here to Portland. I'm going to be very meticulous about rust prevention.

I hope you got all the original paperwork with that truck. I gave it all to Kent when he bought it in June 2008. Pretty neat story.

You'll notice that this truck has no rust at the rear seams by the tail lights, and it is original paint! The 460's with the saddle bag tanks had that area protected by the additional fuel tanks. Most 460's rust out there because of all the crud that gets thrown up off of the tires into that area.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
No road noise to speak of. This one came with full 1" soundproofing from the dealership. Its a 4 speed auto so it revs a little high at 65. 55 - 60 seems to be the sweet spot.

Looks fantastic in white with the cloth Recaros. How are these turbodiesel powerplants over the paved roads? Can the truck comfortably run 65mph on the highway? Is the interior noise manageable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles