Prospective 3rd gen Montero buyer: specific questions about a few issues

dam7106

Just for comparison.
I bought my 2004 with 117k and a blown trany for $1500.
Overhauled the trany myself (my first attempt at a trany repair) overhaul kit including the torque converter was less the $400. works great now.
Then there were the suspension troubles... This ride had seen some serious abuse. Both rear springs easy to swap out ($220 each from Mits.) KYB shocks and struts ($250 online) the front are a bit of a job. Front hub bearing assembly (Timkin $170). Ball joints in front ($200).
Will be taking it off the lift today after the front strut swap.
Still shorting out the traction control. It has 6 ABS codes. 4 related to wheel sensors and 2 others that i'm not familiar with #66 ST sensor and #72 Yaw late sensor.
you can do the math. i'm still looking forward to a good exploring ride.

PHeller

Adventurer
How are the heads (valve seals) and compression values on the higher mileage 3.8l motors?

I know that was kind of an issue with the 3.5l.

Leeson

Reviving this thread to say that the drivetrain vibrations are surprising in my truck as well. If I look anywhere at the interior of the truck through the rearview mirror, I can see it all vibrating and buzzing if I'm going any more than 40mph. You hear it too.
Also there is a very distinct change in noise and feel as soon as I cross over exactly 50 mph. The cabin suddenly gets several dB louder, like a switch is flipped. It's just a hum noise. Sometimes it suddenly dissappears as well, and it gets much quieter and more comfortable inside.
I think I measured (if I remember correctly) about 90 dB inside the truck cruising at 75 mph. I'm sure some of this is my cracked head gaskets but man it's loud.

Schmaab

I'm glad you revived this thread Leeson. I bailed on an 81k example because of a similar vibration. In my limited experience, it happened at a speed lower than 50 mph (I would estimate 20-30 mph, but it almost sounded gear dependent?). It sounded and felt like a deep buzzing coming from somewhere directly below the center console (center diff?).

I'm having a hard time concluding if this was the "standard" (as a prospective buyer myself, I don't like that term lol) vibration that others have mentioned or something more sinister.

plh

Explorer
Reviving this thread to say that the drivetrain vibrations are surprising in my truck as well. If I look anywhere at the interior of the truck through the rearview mirror, I can see it all vibrating and buzzing if I'm going any more than 40mph. You hear it too.
Also there is a very distinct change in noise and feel as soon as I cross over exactly 50 mph. The cabin suddenly gets several dB louder, like a switch is flipped. It's just a hum noise. Sometimes it suddenly dissappears as well, and it gets much quieter and more comfortable inside.
I think I measured (if I remember correctly) about 90 dB inside the truck cruising at 75 mph. I'm sure some of this is my cracked head gaskets but man it's loud.

What tires are you rocking? From the 120K+ miles of ownership of my '05 and several sets of new tires, I personally would not go smaller than 265/70R17 and not bigger than 265/75R17 (without lift) and no more aggressive than BFG AT T/A KO2. I had the first generation of Falken Wildpeak A/Ts on mine a few years ago and from new were very loud on this chassis. Ran them for 30K miles and then moved them to my old '92 on which they were silent.

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
When was the last time you changed the fluid in the transmission?
It sounds like it could be the torque converter.

My rig did this when I first purchased it with under 30k on the clock.
After completing a fluid exchange (not just a drain and fill), the issue never occurred again.
Regular service for all fluids is highly recommended.
(Here's hoping it's an easy fix!)

Cheers

alanymarce

1) ...some sort of driveline vibration at 45+mph speeds. A constant sort of rumble. .
2) How fussy is the independent suspension, alignment and longevity wise? .... Does the alignment get knocked out of wack from offroading?
3) How many of you have had the temp gauge or fuel gauge go wonky?
4)Are valve stem seal leaks a thing on the newer 3.8 trucks as they get up in miles?
This may not help a lot however here are answers with respect to our experience - 1st generation Pajero in Africa and our current 4th generation in Colombia. Note that neither was/is very high mileage:

1) driveline vibration - none in either vehicle.
2) alignment - perfect - the first was driven on very bad roads/tracks in Congo, the current one has covered lots of unsurfaced roads, rocky tracks, mud, river crossings, and dunes. No problems.
3) Gauges - no issues so far.
4) valve stem leaks - none so far.

Leeson

PLH:
Funny you should ask, I had the Wildpeak AT in 265/75/17 and they had a horrible vibration at speed. Made the steering wheel shake something awful. For the first couple months I was convinced it was my wheel hub rings (I'm using some toyota weheels). After my 3rd set of custom-made aluminum hub rings and second tire re-balance I went back to Discount Tire and requested new tires from a different manufacturer. Went with the Discount Tire brand of Goodyear Duratracs (slightly different tread pattern made specifically for DT) and voila the steering wheel shake went away. I can cruise on the highway now. I can hear and feel the tires but there is definitely some other NVH going on. Cracked manifolds are probably one part of the problem.

Inyo_man:
I had all fluids changed when I acquired it last fall, but I believe it was just a drain and fill of trans fluid. Made sure they used the right stuff though. That sounds like a good guess. The way that sudden change in noise happens like an on switch at 50 mph suggests something with the transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94