Pro's and con's of mounting RTT below cab height?

dman93

Adventurer
I posted a question about removing my shell (topper) in another thread, and just going "open bed", but I'm particularly interested in doing so to lower my RTT (Tepui soft shell) which is currently mounted on top of my cab-high shell. I'd probably want to use my existing crossbars mounted at or just above bed height, rather than buying a mid-height rack.
Perceived pro's:
- lower CG and less drag. Also less risk of snagging the tent on low-hanging branches. Also improve XM reception (maybe :>)
- easier for my wife to set up or take down the tent. She has trouble reaching the ladder straps and some of the zipper pull sections and stays (rods).
- the truck would fit in my garage which would make removing the tent and hanging it from the rafters trivially easy, making my truck more useful as a truck, as well as even lighter etc when not camping, and maybe even extend the life of the tent (or at least the cover).
- not specific to mounting the tent lower, but of course removing the shell also saves weight and improves outward visibility etc.
Perceived cons:
- can't huddle under the tent overhang to get out of sun or rain. Can't walk under the overhang ... or will crash into it at night :)
- can't put tall loads in the bed under the tent.
- maybe the rear of the cab would interfere with zipping/unzipping the tent cover or other setup/takedown unless I shift it further back than it is now (56" wide tent, 60" bed on Tacoma DCSB).
- less privacy with tent windows closer to eye level.

Anyone who's gone one way or the other, and especially done both and prefers one way? I'm concerned about losing the covered and secure storage of the shell, but really like the potential of being able to easily remove the RTT and hang it from my rafters (I have no room to store it outside and don't really want to build a gantry or have it be a two-person removal process), and generally lighten up the truck for the 90% of the time when I don't need a shell or tent. Thanks in advance.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I may not have it on a truck, but with the raising top on the trailer, I can lower it to truck height, and it came in handy just a few weeks ago on a ferry crossing.

ajW6weH.jpg

You could always make a lifting rack on the truck. While my trailer is mostly made for camping, it does get used as a utility trailer once in a while. Of course it's much more complicated to make a lifting rack then a solid one, but it would give you the best of both world?

y4TucsX.jpg

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I posted a question about removing my shell (topper)
Perceived pro's:
- lower CG and less drag. Also less risk of snagging the tent on low-hanging branches. Also improve XM reception (maybe :>) Yes
- easier for my wife to set up or take down the tent. She has trouble reaching the ladder straps and some of the zipper pull sections and stays (rods). Somewhat
- the truck would fit in my garage which would make removing the tent and hanging it from the rafters trivially easy, making my truck more useful as a truck, as well as even lighter etc when not camping, and maybe even extend the life of the tent (or at least the cover). Very much yes. I can park in my small garage.
- not specific to mounting the tent lower, but of course removing the shell also saves weight and improves outward visibility etc. No, almost completely blocks the view out the rear.
Perceived cons:
- can't huddle under the tent overhang to get out of sun or rain. Can't walk under the overhang ... or will crash into it at night :) No. I'm 6'3" and cooked hunched over in a rain storm under the overhang. Then relaxed in my folding chair eating dinner under it.
- can't put tall loads in the bed under the tent. No, never really had a problem. Any overland/camping gear will fit. Just don't mount your Hi-Lift in the upright position...
- maybe the rear of the cab would interfere with zipping/unzipping the tent cover or other setup/takedown unless I shift it further back than it is now (56" wide tent, 60" bed on Tacoma DCSB). True. I can't put in the rods for the cab side window, they rub on the paint in the wind.
- less privacy with tent windows closer to eye level. Meh, about the same I think. Not camping in a high traffic area and windows close when I change.
20160608-6080017.jpg by Dustin, on Flickr

dman93

Adventurer
Thanks @Kerensky97 (is that your name or are you a student of Russian history?) and @Nd4SpdSe. The idea of a height adjustable rack is interesting; I had looked at the one that Thule offers but the Tacoma DCSB wheel well arrangement limits its height range, and something custom is not in the cards now. Any other input? I notice that most people who mount RTTs on trailers have them low ...

rgsherr

Interesting thread. For us older people who have to get up frequently in the night lower seems better. Thinking of mounting point on a trailer.

dman93

Adventurer
Interesting thread. For us older people who have to get up frequently in the night lower seems better. Thinking of mounting point on a trailer.
For what it's worth, my wife and I are both "older" and this really isn't much of an issue. I think once you have a ladder, 6 steps or just 4 may not make much of a difference. And for me, it's easier to go up and down the ladder than to get up out of a ground tent. But, if I do re-install my tent at bed level I may be pleasantly surprised that it does in fact help.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Thanks @Kerensky97 (is that your name or are you a student of Russian history?)
No, it's because I was playing Battletech and Mechwarrior when I was a teen and made my first email address in 1997. :p

The picture of mine shows the Thule adjustable rack at it's lowest possible position on a Toyota Tundra. I thought I would travel like that to the trailhead then adjust it up to a higher position once I wasn't dealing with freeway aerodynamics. But I've never raised it up since I installed it. Partially because it works fine as it is, and partially because I'm solo and trying to lift that weight up to lock and unlock the 4 pillars seems like too much of a pain.

Wirebrush

Observer
With my RTT mounted low I'm unable to really use the tent window that faces forward.

That is really the only drawback I've found and it's far outweighed by the drawbacks of having it mounted higher.

rgsherr

I guess we should define "older" I'm 79 and my wife is 74. Dman93, wonder if you have reached the "get up several times in the night older"? I certainly agree about getting up out of a ground tent. Don't want to do that any more. I also wonder how low we can go. My trailer is just 2 1/2 feet high.

ExploringNH

Explorer
The most frustrating part of a RTT on a roof is setting up all the spring rods for the windows. It's frustrating on a good day and dangerous on a bad day standing on slippery door sills, tires, and bumpers with wet muddy boots. I had the chance to use a tent mounted about 6" above the bed rails on a Tacoma and it was awesome. I didn't have too many issues aside from the previously mentioned problem of not being to use the front most window but that isn't really a big deal. The last three vehicles that I've had with a roof mounted tent all had the same issue. One with Jerry cans, one with a wind fairing, and another with a storage box. No big deal.

dman93

Adventurer
I guess we should define "older" I'm 79 and my wife is 74. Dman93, wonder if you have reached the "get up several times in the night older"? I certainly agree about getting up out of a ground tent. Don't want to do that any more. I also wonder how low we can go. My trailer is just 2 1/2 feet high.
We are "get up at least once in the night" old. Not yet "get up several times" old. But I hope to have many years of camping and exploring ahead of me.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I will agree that I've slipped a few times when my RTT was wet, and mounted on the roof of the truck. Not fun.

As for lifting a rack solo, many on the trailer side use gas charge lift supports or electric linear actuators.

dman93

Adventurer
Hi, OP here, thanks for all the thoughts. I'm now really leaning to mounting it lower, just need to bite the bullet to go without a shell to enable that. But that's going to have to be my own decision, no more advice needed :)

pray4surf

Explorer
Sub'd - My RTT is mounted to a rack that will lift the tent when it is time to use. Travels at/below cab height - see signature.

Scoutman

Explorer
Not getting the spring rods on the side window was something I had not considered. I'm in the process of building a bed rack and while the top of the tube should be inline with the 3rd brake light on the truck I'm hoping the spring rod hole will be slightly above cab height. I guess I'll find out next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior