Proprietary(?) Seattle Film Works format questions

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Tucked way back in a corner was a box of 3.5 inch "floppy disks" <for you youngsters, that was a means of storing tiny files on computers way back when we counted on dinosaurs on treadmills to power our generators :ylsmoke: >.

In the mass, there were 3 disks with digital photos that had been made by a company called Seattle Film Works.

They took your film (which you had to mail to them) and printed pictures on paper, and then sent the prints, negatives and disks back to you. And <shazam!> you could view them on your 8 bit computer! Anyway, they included their viewer program (which won't run on a 64 bit machine) and the picture files. The format shows as picture.sfw

So back to the disks and the pictures. Does anyone know of a program to view these files now? Or what format the .sfw may have been masking?

Thanks.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I remember Seattle Film Works. I think I used them before you got your pictures on a disk!

To answer your question, I have no idea! ;)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I too remember them, as I recall they offered free film... but you had to send it to them for the processing and printing?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Scott B.: Thanks.
Cruiseroutfit: Yep. Their film had a proprietary coating to it or something.
photo_i: Yes, I had. Sorry tuoba ruoY aixelsyd
psykokid: Tried that on several. Doesn't seem to work. Looks to really be a proprietary format.

Update: I've found a couple of programs that will open the files now, including GraphicsWorkshop from Alchemy. Still would be interested if anyone recommends one graphics conversion program over another.

S

psykokid

Explorer
Scott B.: Thanks.
Cruiseroutfit: Yep. Their film had a proprietary coating to it or something.

It depended on which film was in the cans. Seattle Film Works used two types of film. Early in their operations they used bulk movie film which is a different monster compared to regular C41 film. If you mad the mistake and ran the movie film through a C41 processor it would strip the emulsion off the film and foul the chemistry. It was a costly mistake since you had to dump all the chemisty and start from scratch after cleaning all the tanks and pump lines.

The later film they used was just regular C41 colour negative film. They had whatever their hokey "process" printed on the side so you would send it back to them for processing instead of just taking it to your regular 1 hour photo place. The film itself was marginal at best..

Did a little searching and also found this one that will supposedly open the .sfw files : http://www.irfanview.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94